thoughts on the Trayvon murder

23 Mar 2012 21:12 #41 by plaidvillain
PrintSmith, you think mischaracterizing my stances, making false assumptions about who I am, who I associate with or am inspired by, and attacking me personally changes anything about the facts that a young man was killed, shot down in the rain walking back from the store, for absolutely nothing more than wearing a hooded sweatshirt and being black, and that the police were satisfied letting this case quietly fade away? Your personal attack at me, obvious deflection that it is, shows me your facade of intellectualism disguises a foundation of hatred.

Any thoughts less about me and more about the murder of Trayvon Martin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2012 21:33 #42 by otisptoadwater

plaidvillain wrote: Otis, why does your otherwise accurate accounting of the facts exclude mention of Zimmerman's racial slur during the call to the dispatcher? Maybe you weren't aware of that detail, or maybe it just makes it more difficult to get to the stance you want to get to.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 957.column

Let's start with the title of your post, was this a murder or something else? Do you have the evidence to establish that this incident was a murder? I think that issue is what in contention now, let's not pass judgement until all of the facts have been established and the verdict is in.

Since there were no witnesses that I am aware of I have to ask who else observed what happened and the credibility of their account of the events documented by law enforcement.

As an aside, I happen to be a 6'5", 285 pound man who has been, IMHO, singled out more than once by law enforcement strictly because of my appearance and mode of dress (I have also been mistaken for Bigfoot, but that's a story for another time). More often than not I have been able to have a rational exchange with law enforcement officials by cooperating with them and answering their questions honestly.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Mar 2012 22:00 #43 by plaidvillain
This bozo wasn't law enforcement. He was the thug who harrassed the individual who was minding his own business. Really sorry to hear about the discrimination you've suffered for being so much larger and physically imposing than all us regular sized people...must be hard...

I titled the thread as I did because I believe the evidence indicates this was an act of murder, and while I accept this to be merely my opinion, I find it amazing anyone would think the situation doesn't at least warrant a more thorough investigation. If the kid had shot Zimmerman, he certainly would have been required to defend his innocence.

Again, the whole point is that there isn't going to be a jury, the facts won't come out, justice and truth won't be realized, because charges haven't been pressed, the police weren't interested....it was easier, or more convenient, or preferred to just let it go. UNLESS people speak out and demand justice...insist upon it. Keeping quiet and waiting for the truth to be volunteered to you is foolish.

23 Mar 2012 22:41 #44 by otisptoadwater
plaidvillain, can we agree that we all need more facts before arriving at a conclusion? Your implied assessment that Florida law will allow what happened under the Stand Your Ground Law will excuse the shooting and death of Miller? The issue now is whether or not Zimmerman acted in self defense or assaulted an innocent member of society.

Unless you have additional evidence beyond what you have posted, it's hearsay at best. Don't take that as a personal attack on you, it is a reflection of my own experience in a few cases in courts of US law.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Mar 2012 23:03 #45 by Mtn Gramma

plaidvillain wrote: Again, the whole point is that there isn't going to be a jury, the facts won't come out, justice and truth won't be realized, because charges haven't been pressed, the police weren't interested....it was easier, or more convenient, or preferred to just let it go. UNLESS people speak out and demand justice...insist upon it. Keeping quiet and waiting for the truth to be volunteered to you is foolish.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/c ... source=pkg

The Justice Department and FBI have opened a civil-rights investigation, and the local prosecutor has convened a grand jury April 10 to determine whether to charge Zimmerman.

24 Mar 2012 00:54 #46 by Soulshiner
I have been wondering how much crime happens in that gated community and why the community watch member was armed. I thought community watch members are not armed and are there to watch and report suspicious activity, not become judge, jury and executioner.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

24 Mar 2012 08:01 #47 by 2wlady
Zimmerman instigated the confrontation after being repeatedly told to let the police handle it. He followed Trayvon when he was told not to do so. He got out of his car and confronted Trayvon when he was told not to. While it may not be murder in the eyes of the law, it is certainly a homicide.

Zimmerman called 911 over 40 times in one day. The guy is a nut case.

Soulshiner, I imagine in Florida you can carry a gun, not because you are a community watch member, but it is the law. I have no quibble with the gun laws in Florida. I do have problems with the way this case was handled.

What most people see is that Zimmerman didn't have a reason to confront this kid but did it for his own self-gratification and is getting off scot free. And, according to one of those links provided above, this didn't get published for days or even weeks.

Racism IS alive and functioning in the USA. I have told one member of our family not to use the N word in my house. She can do whatever she wants in her own home, but not in mine. It is so sad and frustrating.

24 Mar 2012 08:24 #48 by FredHayek

Soulshiner wrote: I have been wondering how much crime happens in that gated community and why the community watch member was armed. I thought community watch members are not armed and are there to watch and report suspicious activity, not become judge, jury and executioner.

Since you can carry legally in Florida, I would suspect a high percentage of community watch people are carrying. I am carrying when I walk my dogs, although I am more worried about coyotes than humans. To me? This is more about the police mishandling this case than anything else
Hispanic on black crime? Can minorities be racist?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Mar 2012 08:30 #49 by Reverend Revelant
Here's a though... I don't think any of us have heard, or know, the full story... and we can speculate all we want, doesn't mean anything.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

24 Mar 2012 08:36 #50 by FredHayek

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote: Here's a though... I don't think any of us have heard, or know, the full story... and we can speculate all we want, doesn't mean anything.

+1. Let the truth come out through the the courts. Don't try Zimmerman on rumour, innuendo, and emotion.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds