thoughts on the Trayvon murder

24 Mar 2012 08:49 #51 by Martin Ent Inc
Facts coming out

[youtube:2ngmmyua]
[/youtube:2ngmmyua]

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/24/justice/f ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Funny how these media frenzies always seem to get blind sided by facts...

sorta like that cop and black professor back in 2009 ..... all the frenzy then the facts came out ... kinda left a lot of folks looking stupid ( like Obama calling the cop stupid)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2012 08:52 #52 by LadyJazzer
The police department's "version of the facts" and the truth are not one-and-the-same. But you knew that.

24 Mar 2012 10:27 #53 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic thoughts on the Trayvon murder
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said Friday that the “stand your ground” self-defense law he signed while in office should not apply to the case of a teenager who was killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer in his home state.

“This law does not apply to this particular circumstance,” Bush said after an education panel discussion at the University of Texas at Arlington. “Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn’t mean chase after somebody who’s turned their back.”

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/jeb-bush/2012 ... z1q3ItnBWX

24 Mar 2012 10:36 #54 by Reverend Revelant

JSG wrote: Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said Friday that the “stand your ground” self-defense law he signed while in office should not apply to the case of a teenager who was killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer in his home state.

“This law does not apply to this particular circumstance,” Bush said after an education panel discussion at the University of Texas at Arlington. “Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn’t mean chase after somebody who’s turned their back.”

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/jeb-bush/2012 ... z1q3ItnBWX

Fox News... fair and balanced?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

24 Mar 2012 10:40 #55 by JSG
ARLINGTON, Texas — Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says the "Stand Your Ground" law he signed shouldn't protect a neighborhood watch captain who hasn't been arrested in the shooting death of an unarmed teenager.

Bush spoke Friday at the University of Texas at Arlington, just outside Dallas. He told reporters afterward that the Florida law doesn't apply in the incident that left 17-year-old Trayvon Martin dead.

He said, "Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn't mean chase after somebody who's turned their back."

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/je ... 96787.html

24 Mar 2012 10:43 #56 by Reverend Revelant

JSG wrote: ARLINGTON, Texas — Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says the "Stand Your Ground" law he signed shouldn't protect a neighborhood watch captain who hasn't been arrested in the shooting death of an unarmed teenager.

Bush spoke Friday at the University of Texas at Arlington, just outside Dallas. He told reporters afterward that the Florida law doesn't apply in the incident that left 17-year-old Trayvon Martin dead.

He said, "Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn't mean chase after somebody who's turned their back."

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/je ... 96787.html

When did this happen, I can't find an actual date?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

24 Mar 2012 11:24 #57 by Mtn Gramma
From the link:

National / World News 8:46 p.m. Friday, March 23, 2012

The Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas — Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says the "Stand Your Ground" law he signed shouldn't protect a neighborhood watch captain who hasn't been arrested in the shooting death of an unarmed teenager.

24 Mar 2012 11:49 #58 by JSG
Zimmerman in 911 call:

"This guy looks like he's up to no good or he's on drugs or something," Zimmerman told the dispatcher. "It's raining, and he's just walking around looking about." The man tried to explain where he was. "Now he's coming towards me. He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male...Something's wrong with him. Yup, he's coming to check me out. He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is...These assholes, they always get away."

Link includes actual 911 calls:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/03 ... -explained

24 Mar 2012 12:52 #59 by Soulshiner

FredHayek wrote:

Soulshiner wrote: I have been wondering how much crime happens in that gated community and why the community watch member was armed. I thought community watch members are not armed and are there to watch and report suspicious activity, not become judge, jury and executioner.

Since you can carry legally in Florida, I would suspect a high percentage of community watch people are carrying.

Looks like he wasn't a neighborhood watch member:

Via Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic, who tweeted "There are 22,00 registered neighborhood watch programs. Zimmerman's was not one of them":

Zimmerman also blatantly violated major principles of the Neighborhood Watch manual, ABC News has learned.

The manual, from the National Neighborhood Watch Program, states: "It should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers, and they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles. They should also be cautioned to alert police or deputies when encountering strange activity. Members should never confront suspicious persons who could be armed and dangerous...."

According to Chris Tutko, the director of the National Neighborhood Watch Program, there are about 22,000 registered watch groups nationwide, and Zimmerman was not part of a registered group—another fact the police were not aware of at the time of the incident.

According to Martin's girlfriend, who was on the phone with him at the time, Martin was running from Zimmerman and Zimmerman chased him down. That doesn't sound like self defense to me. This guy is not a police officer and acted as a vigilante. If Zimmerman did chase him down and attack him, then it was Martin who was applying self defense.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

24 Mar 2012 13:02 #60 by LadyJazzer
Hmmmm... "...shall not carry weapons ..." That sounds pretty unambiguous to me...

But since he was not a member of a registered neighborhood watch program, then he's in even more deep doo-doo....

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds