These are the criminals that caused 4 people to die

16 Sep 2012 11:37 #51 by Raees
Looking at the bigger picture, if the attack were planned months ago, one could argue the purpose would be to create a divisive rift between the U.S. and the new Libyan government that would drive them apart so that Muslim hardliners could then move in and take control without U.S. intervention this time around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Sep 2012 11:43 #52 by LadyJazzer
Why should "liberals" be outraged at something like South Park? Liberals do not = Muslims. South Park was a comedy show, that had no intention of DELIBERATELY stirring up Muslim hatred and riots. This piece of garbage produced for the sole reason of inciting hatred and insult is different. (They even ADMIT that was the purpose of it.)

16 Sep 2012 11:48 #53 by pineinthegrass
They did a parody on Muslims and anyone with half a brain knows that will get the radical Muslims all riled up. We've seen plenty of examples, including murders, of that.

16 Sep 2012 11:53 #54 by LadyJazzer
I know what they did... I stand by my statement.

16 Sep 2012 19:33 #55 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic These are the criminals that caused 4 people to die
I found this interesting during the 2008 election.

[youtube:jdmhd1m5]
[/youtube:jdmhd1m5]

[youtube:jdmhd1m5]
[/youtube:jdmhd1m5]

16 Sep 2012 23:36 #56 by plaidvillain
So when was South Park aired on Egyptian tv? I understand your attempt to cast this movie and South Park and Religulous all as the same, but there is a distinct difference: South Park, Bill Maher...they're produced for an American audience, appealing to American values and humor...this 'movie' was produced for a Muslim audience, specifically to offend as deeply as possible. We've seen over and over that many conservatives like simplified solutions to complex issues, but recognizing nuance allows for better understanding of the reality...the world simply is not black and white.

I sometimes get the feeling many conservatives here have no interest in trying to understand the Islamic peoples' perspective. I question whether some prefer a peaceful coexistence. Some seem already convinced war is inevitable, and even anxious to get to it. I hope I'm wrong.

17 Sep 2012 03:57 #57 by Reverend Revelant

plaidvillain wrote: So when was South Park aired on Egyptian tv? I understand your attempt to cast this movie and South Park and Religulous all as the same, but there is a distinct difference: South Park, Bill Maher...they're produced for an American audience, appealing to American values and humor...this 'movie' was produced for a Muslim audience, specifically to offend as deeply as possible. We've seen over and over that many conservatives like simplified solutions to complex issues, but recognizing nuance allows for better understanding of the reality...the world simply is not black and white.

I sometimes get the feeling many conservatives here have no interest in trying to understand the Islamic peoples' perspective. I question whether some prefer a peaceful coexistence. Some seem already convinced war is inevitable, and even anxious to get to it. I hope I'm wrong.

I understand their perspective perfectly. Insult their prophet, possibly get killed. That seems rather simple to me.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Sep 2012 08:50 #58 by pineinthegrass

plaidvillain wrote: So when was South Park aired on Egyptian tv? I understand your attempt to cast this movie and South Park and Religulous all as the same, but there is a distinct difference: South Park, Bill Maher...they're produced for an American audience, appealing to American values and humor...this 'movie' was produced for a Muslim audience, specifically to offend as deeply as possible. We've seen over and over that many conservatives like simplified solutions to complex issues, but recognizing nuance allows for better understanding of the reality...the world simply is not black and white.

If anyone fails to recognize nuance, it would be the Muslim radicals who made a death threat over a South Park episode. And you never know how seriously to take it as seen by the example of Theo Van Gogh who was shot and partially decapitated because he made a film critical of the treatment of Muslim women.

So far as the "Innocence of Muslims" film goes, as far as I can tell the movie has only been seen by about 10 people in one showing in Hollywood. It's mainly been spread by Youtube which just has some clips from the movie (as posted here). When you say it aired on Egyptian TV, that was a 2 min clip (I assume from Youtube) aired by a radical Shiekh. And you can also find plenty of South Park clips on Youtube, including clips from the Muhammad episode where Muhammad was never shown (that was the joke) but hidden in a teddy bear costume (they did show a Muhammad in a pre 9/11 episode but were making a point that they probably wouldn't even be allowed to show an image of him now).

17 Sep 2012 09:02 #59 by Rick

plaidvillain wrote: I sometimes get the feeling many conservatives here have no interest in trying to understand the Islamic peoples' perspective. I question whether some prefer a peaceful coexistence. Some seem already convinced war is inevitable, and even anxious to get to it. I hope I'm wrong.

First of all you are wrong, I've never seen or read anyone who is "anxious to get to it" not here, not anywhere... just another one of your wacko assumptions (show me the money). And your statement about conservatives not understanding the Islamic people is kinda funny... so I suppose you and Obama do understand them and think that they will respect Americans more if we just offer a hand in friendship and appoligize for any past actions. We are watching first hand how that strategy works. We should always offer friendship, but without the "oh we're sorry about our people using their right of free speech to offend you" attitude. The Islamic radicals are always going to hate us and they only respect strength... when we show weakness, they will take advantage of that.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Sep 2012 09:16 #60 by Nobody that matters

plaidvillain wrote: I sometimes get the feeling many conservatives here have no interest in trying to understand the Islamic peoples' perspective. I question whether some prefer a peaceful coexistence. Some seem already convinced war is inevitable, and even anxious to get to it. I hope I'm wrong.

Understanding their perspective is one thing. Hammering out a compromise is another thing altogether. For us to coexist, not only do we have to understand their perspective, but they have to understand ours. I don't see that effort taking place at all. We have basic rights, one of which is free speech. They don't have that freedom when it comes to the subject of their prophet. In order to coexist, they must understand that placing restrictions on our rights is just as offensive to us as the movie is to them.

Both have to adopt a live and let live attitude before peace could ever be a possibility. I see that happening from the majority of muslims, but we are at war with the extremists that insist we have to die.

I do understand that they were ticked off by the film. I get that it hit them right where it counts. I want them to understand that the vast majority of us don't share the views that upset them, and that the vast majority of us also don't believe that killing innocent people is a proper remedy for an insult on YouTube.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds