These are the criminals that caused 4 people to die

17 Sep 2012 09:48 #61 by Reverend Revelant

plaidvillain wrote:
[snip]

I sometimes get the feeling many conservatives here have no interest in trying to understand the Islamic peoples' perspective. I question whether some prefer a peaceful coexistence. Some seem already convinced war is inevitable, and even anxious to get to it. I hope I'm wrong.

It looks like President Obama's chickens have come home to roost.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Sep 2012 09:50 #62 by LOL

Nobody that matters wrote: Understanding their perspective is one thing. Hammering out a compromise is another thing altogether. For us to coexist, not only do we have to understand their perspective, but they have to understand ours. I don't see that effort taking place at all. We have basic rights, one of which is free speech. They don't have that freedom when it comes to the subject of their prophet. In order to coexist, they must understand that placing restrictions on our rights is just as offensive to us as the movie is to them.

Both have to adopt a live and let live attitude before peace could ever be a possibility. I see that happening from the majority of muslims, but we are at war with the extremists that insist we have to die.

I do understand that they were ticked off by the film. I get that it hit them right where it counts. I want them to understand that the vast majority of us don't share the views that upset them, and that the vast majority of us also don't believe that killing innocent people is a proper remedy for an insult on YouTube.

Excellent post! Makes sense to me.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Sep 2012 13:52 #63 by LadyJazzer
So, here's the latest word on the Neanderthal blogs for the day:

"Right-Wing Blogs Claim Murdered Ambassador Was Gay"

As if that had any bearing on his assassination by a mob of thugs... Keep it classy, scum....

17 Sep 2012 13:58 #64 by Rick

Democracy4Sale wrote: So, here's the latest word on the Neanderthal blogs for the day:

"Right-Wing Blogs Claim Murdered Ambassador Was Gay"

As if that had any bearing on his assassination by a mob of thugs... Keep it classy, scum....

As if it's a big deal to 99.9999% of conservatives... but as long as it gives you an outrage.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Sep 2012 15:17 #65 by appleannie

I am going to say again, you don't say "oh arab nations are different they should be exempt from free speech" because of these issues.

You might oughta rephrase that, CG. The only country where the 1st amendment has any authority is our own. They don't need us to "exempt" them.

17 Sep 2012 18:42 #66 by plaidvillain

LOL wrote:

Nobody that matters wrote: Understanding their perspective is one thing. Hammering out a compromise is another thing altogether. For us to coexist, not only do we have to understand their perspective, but they have to understand ours. I don't see that effort taking place at all. We have basic rights, one of which is free speech. They don't have that freedom when it comes to the subject of their prophet. In order to coexist, they must understand that placing restrictions on our rights is just as offensive to us as the movie is to them.

Both have to adopt a live and let live attitude before peace could ever be a possibility. I see that happening from the majority of muslims, but we are at war with the extremists that insist we have to die.

I do understand that they were ticked off by the film. I get that it hit them right where it counts. I want them to understand that the vast majority of us don't share the views that upset them, and that the vast majority of us also don't believe that killing innocent people is a proper remedy for an insult on YouTube.

I agree...this is an excellent post. We are not that far apart in how we view this situation...so let me ask you this, does our right to free speech still apply when it's asserted upon another culture who does not have free speech? Again, I reference the fact that this thing was shown on Egyptian tv. Now, Pine's rebutted that it was only a 2 minute snip...that is not what I had heard, I had heard they showed the entire 14 minute trailer, although I haven't found any good info to confirm either way. Still...can we stretch our rights to impose them upon others? Certainly, we can't go touring Europe with a gun in our jacket and cite our 2nd amendment and CCW permit, right? So why does our right to free speech trump their cultures' structure or rules?

I'm glad you believe it is the minority, the extremists, who are the problem, and not the majority of the Muslim people. Do you think the original poster shares that opinion? The original post seemed to make a generalization of many people based upon the actions of the few. (Hey, Critical...wake the hell up!)

17 Sep 2012 19:00 #67 by appleannie

so let me ask you this, does our right to free speech still apply when it's asserted upon another culture who does not have free speech? Again, I reference the fact that this thing was shown on Egyptian tv. Now, Pine's rebutted that it was only a 2 minute snip...that is not what I had heard, I had heard they showed the entire 14 minute trailer, although I haven't found any good info to confirm either way. Still...can we stretch our rights to impose them upon others?

Well, technically, "we" didn't assert it on another culture, at least as far as Egyptian tv was concerned. An Egyptian tv shock jock of sorts pulled the trailer off youtube and showed it - quite deliberately, knowing what the reaction would be.

There's a good piece on Foreign Policy today called Free Speech in the Age of YouTube . Lot of food for thought there and I highly recommend it.

17 Sep 2012 19:05 #68 by Reverend Revelant

plaidvillain wrote:

LOL wrote:

I agree...this is an excellent post. We are not that far apart in how we view this situation...so let me ask you this, does our right to free speech still apply when it's asserted upon another culture who does not have free speech? Again, I reference the fact that this thing was shown on Egyptian tv. Now, Pine's rebutted that it was only a 2 minute snip...that is not what I had heard, I had heard they showed the entire 14 minute trailer, although I haven't found any good info to confirm either way. Still...can we stretch our rights to impose them upon others? Certainly, we can't go touring Europe with a gun in our jacket and cite our 2nd amendment and CCW permit, right? So why does our right to free speech trump their cultures' structure or rules?

I'm glad you believe it is the minority, the extremists, who are the problem, and not the majority of the Muslim people. Do you think the original poster shares that opinion? The original post seemed to make a generalization of many people based upon the actions of the few. (Hey, Critical...wake the hell up!)

Wow... I guess we forced Egyptian TV to play the video? And I guess we forced those people to watch the video? And I've never suggested that the reaction to this video is the general reaction of all Muslims. You must be projecting again. The flip side of this is it doesn't take millions of angry people to cause major death and destruction. A thousand radical and angry Muslims can overtake an embassy. Heck a small group of about 100 destroyed the embassy in Libya and killed 4 people and if I remember correctly 19 people took down 2 buildings and killed almost 3000 people.

My concerns and problems with Muslim is relegated to the ones causing the problems. That's clear to me... evidently not too clear to you.

17 Sep 2012 19:07 #69 by Reverend Revelant

appleannie wrote:

so let me ask you this, does our right to free speech still apply when it's asserted upon another culture who does not have free speech? Again, I reference the fact that this thing was shown on Egyptian tv. Now, Pine's rebutted that it was only a 2 minute snip...that is not what I had heard, I had heard they showed the entire 14 minute trailer, although I haven't found any good info to confirm either way. Still...can we stretch our rights to impose them upon others?

Well, technically, "we" didn't assert it on another culture, at least as far as Egyptian tv was concerned. An Egyptian tv shock jock of sorts pulled the trailer off youtube and showed it - quite deliberately, knowing what the reaction would be.

There's a good piece on Foreign Policy today called Free Speech in the Age of YouTube . Lot of food for thought there and I highly recommend it.

Here's some food for thought. Civilized people in this modern world should not be killing anyone over a video. Period.

17 Sep 2012 19:14 #70 by pineinthegrass

plaidvillain wrote:

LOL wrote:

I read about the 2 minute clip (about 7.5 million hits so far) from a Wikipedia article this morning. But Wiki is a work in progress, and the article has changed and no longer mentions the 2 minutes (don't see any mention of the 14 minute clip either yet; about 4.5 million hits).

My main point was practically nobody had seen the whole movie, and Egyptian TV just showed a clip, not the whole movie. Your post that I was responding to didn't make it clear it was just a clip, and not the whole movie.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds