These are the criminals that caused 4 people to die

17 Sep 2012 19:17 #71 by appleannie

Here's some food for thought. Civilized people in this modern world should not be killing anyone over a video. Period.

News flash: A lot of the world isn't modern.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Sep 2012 19:21 #72 by Reverend Revelant

appleannie wrote:

Here's some food for thought. Civilized people in this modern world should not be killing anyone over a video. Period.

News Flash. America doesn't diminish it's use of free speech because of that. Nor do we assume that anyone will be reasonable and not try to offend with that freedom. That's the breaks.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Sep 2012 19:22 #73 by Reverend Revelant

appleannie wrote:

No kidding...

“I’ve come here ... to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world, one based on mutual interest and mutual respect, and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles—principles of justice and progress, tolerance, and the dignity of all human beings ... Let there be no doubt: Islam is a part of America.”

How'd that work out?

18 Sep 2012 08:14 #74 by bailey bud

18 Sep 2012 08:24 #75 by Reverend Revelant

bailey bud wrote: A thoughtful commentary from a Pakastani.

http://dawn.com/2012/09/17/taking-the-bait/

Money quote...

But, unless serious efforts are undertaken to arrest these disturbing social norms that legitimate such vigilantism, displays of violence may sadly continue to occur.

I have an idea. Start with the rhetoric that spews from Minbar every Friday.

18 Sep 2012 11:24 #76 by LadyJazzer

Egypt Issues Arrest Warrant For Terry Jones

CAIRO — Egypt's general prosecutor issued arrest warrants Tuesday for seven Egyptian Coptic Christians and a Florida-based American pastor and referred them to trial on charges linked to an anti-Islam film that has sparked riots across the Muslim world.

The case is largely symbolic since the seven men and one woman are believed to be outside of Egypt and unlikely to travel to the country to face the charges. Instead, the prosecutor's decision to take legal appears aimed at absorbing at least some of the public anger over the amateur film, which portrays the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud, womanizer and buffoon.

The prosecutor's office said in a statement that the accused, which includes the film's alleged producer, face charges of harming national unity, insulting and publicly attacking Islam and spreading false information. The office said they could face the death penalty, if convicted. No date for the trial has been set.

Among those charged is Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, an Egyptian Copt living in southern California and believed to be behind the film. Florida-based Pastor Terry Jones, who has said he was contacted by the filmmaker to promote the video, as well as Morris Sadek, a conservative Coptic Christian in the U.S. who pushed the video on his website, are also among those charged.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/1 ... 93315.html

rofllol :lol:

This is great...It's almost like Bush & Cheney being afraid of traveling to certain foreign countries for fear of being arrested and prosecuted for war-crimes...

I guess Jones better not ever travel to Egypt.

18 Sep 2012 11:51 #77 by PrintSmith
Imagine my surprise - SFB is all for the death penalty for engaging in free speech.

18 Sep 2012 12:08 #78 by appleannie

PrintSmith wrote: Imagine my surprise - SFB is all for the death penalty for engaging in free speech.

Another example of why I think the right has lost the ability to read without extrapolating. "You may say the sky is blue but I know you really mean it's red!"

18 Sep 2012 12:25 #79 by PrintSmith
She thinks its funny that someone would face a death penalty for denigrating someone's religion and they traveled to Egypt. Would she feel it was funny, or intolerant, if Mapplethorpe faced the death penalty for traveling to Vatican City? You and I both know the answer to that, don't we annie? What would SFB's comments be regarding death threats issued in the wake of Mapplethorpe's "art" being displayed?

The really sad part is that she, along with others, believes that the source of the problem is the movie, not the folks who take violent offense to the movie. Sure, I get angry when my religion is denigrated or I am denigrated because of my religious beliefs, but does that give me justification for striking out, for murder, for the destruction of something that belongs to another? Of course not.

18 Sep 2012 12:55 #80 by appleannie

She thinks its funny that someone would face a death penalty for denigrating someone's religion and they traveled to Egypt. Would she feel it was funny, or intolerant, if Mapplethorpe faced the death penalty for traveling to Vatican City? You and I both know the answer to that, don't we annie?

Well, no, I don't know that at all and neither do you. I do know that LJ likes to use those rotflmao-ish emoticons when she sees someone (especially a conservative) hoisted by his own petard.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds