All you gun nuts are stained by this

17 Dec 2012 09:17 #51 by Martin Ent Inc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Dec 2012 09:20 #52 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic All you gun nuts are stained by this

2wlady wrote:
What about some of these psychiatrists claiming studies were done that showed how, after three violent video games, the brain had changed to disregard value of life. and inured to violence?

After see'ing my 5 year old grandkid play this scene a few years ago I suggested that maybe he better not play that game until he's a little older...

[youtube:2dw4y9t6]
[/youtube:2dw4y9t6]

17 Dec 2012 09:27 - 17 Dec 2012 09:28 #53 by The Boss

Big Doug wrote:

on that note wrote: I have relearned a lesson with this event.

In mid sept of 2001 I was building one of my houses in the middle of the woods. No radio, no TV, didn't go out much. I went out that afternoon to get my oil changed and the guys a Jiffy Lube told me we were bombed, but they did not have clear info, they were talking about suiting up and going to Bosnia (which might have gone better than the way we did react).

Of course folks talked about it, but I had no TV, no internet, minimal radio use and I mostly looked at trees and cut them up day after day. 9-11 did not effect me the way other events like it in the past, even to this day, I feel less involved and better personally for it.

So for this event, I am a little more plugged in. I have seen no TV, a couple Huffpost/Drudge headlines and some of the threads here.

I think the best and most effective solution for this stuff is to really start to ignore it, to unplug a little. When you know about something that there is no reasonable reaction to, we still want to react, and for something this Tragic, we want to over react like we did and are still doing with 9-11. Once we unplug, watch less, play less TV joystick games, show our kids how to have fun playing with blocks or throw sticks at each other, they will have less of these ideas planted in their heads with the societal ringer we put them through.

Since the killer is dead, I say we just put the victim to rest and not ruin our country anymore than we already have with overreaction that has no results except to likely bring the next similar event closer.

And most of all, just ignore big doug looser cat rabbit. I mean look who he is driving around with, another nut that is ready to kill. This also means reading less around here, because although we all love it, I bet we are all worse people for interacting on the level we do. 285bound is a vice, and addiction, it feels so good while you are doing it, but hurts you and those around you in the long run....like most media.

Just speak for yourself OTN...Youre a wierdo and nobody wants to be like you- by putting blinders on...

Youre solution: Try to remain ignorant like me!

lol

No tv, no radio, just the drudge report and heresay from the Kum n Go clerk..Great advice there On that Note... rofllol

Ummm, I think I was speaking for myself, did my post come up with someone else's name? I was actually suggesting dropping the huff/drudge 285bound portion of my news gathering and focus on my neighborhood that I can see and walk over not having that be the only source. You're ignoring all kinds of issues. This is no big deal. I would prefer to be ignorant, just not quite like you. My goal is to leave my mark, be productive and perhaps happy if it fits in. Knowing about some nutbag that killed a bunch of folks really does not fit in with my goals, it's just damn interesting.

Thanks for continuing to be so abrasive, otherwise I would have been thrown for a loop. Who's your mentor? People don't just act like you without example.

17 Dec 2012 09:28 - 17 Dec 2012 09:49 #54 by LadyJazzer
Nobody is calling for a ban on all video games... I think it's time to do a better job of attempting to enforce the age-restrictions on the violent ones. Does that mean that a stupid parent can't buy one that's too violent for one of their kids? No. Does that mean that since a few might slip through, we should do nothing? That's what's got us into the situation we're in now...

17 Dec 2012 09:43 #55 by LadyJazzer
And ANOTHER Pro-Gun NRA-approved Senator says "enough is enough":

Joe Manchin Ready For Gun Control Action: 'Everything Should Be On The Table' (VIDEO)

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), one of the strongest backers of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in the Democratic Party, said it is time to sit down and have a "sensible, reasonable" debate about gun control in light of the massacre in Newtown, Conn., and expressed an openness to banning assault weapons.

"It's time to move beyond rhetoric. We need to sit down and have a common-sense discussion and move in a reasonable way. ... Everything has to be on the table," Manchin said in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Monday, adding that he had just come from deer hunting with his family.

Manchin's comments are significant because he has an "A" rating from the NRA for his pro-gun positions, and the organization endorsed him as recently as October 2012.

In Monday's interview, Manchin was critical of assault rifles, saying no hunter needs a weapon like that, although he didn't explicitly say he would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) ban on such weapons, which she has said she will introduce in the new year.

"I don't know anyone who in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting," Manchin said. "I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

While the NRA has always opposed such a ban in the past, Manchin said he believed the nature of the tragedy in Newtown changed the landscape.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 14782.html

Just like the demographics of the electorate changing in the last election and the teabaggers "not 'getting it' ", the landscape just changed on this issue...and the same people still don't get it, and think it will blow over... This time it won't....

17 Dec 2012 13:22 #56 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic All you gun nuts are stained by this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

[bluebox=:128g6b14]The Dunblane school massacre occurred at Dunblane Primary School in the Scottish town of Dunblane on 13 March 1996. The gunman, 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton (b. 10 May 1952), entered the school armed with four handguns, shooting and killing sixteen children and one adult before committing suicide. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre and the 2010 Cumbria shootings, it remains one of the worst criminal acts involving firearms in the history of the United Kingdom.

Public debate subsequent to these events centred on gun-control laws, including media-driven public petitions calling for a ban on private ownership of handguns and an official enquiry, the Cullen Report. In response to this debate, the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 and the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997 were enacted, which effectively made private ownership of handguns illegal in the United Kingdom.[/bluebox:128g6b14]

Now go from this time and see what the differences in UK vs USA crime. Knife crimes are higher there. Search per capita.

17 Dec 2012 13:54 #57 by chickaree
Banning guns or video games are equally foolish. Putting sensible regulations on both makes sense. One of the reasons our country has become incapable of solving our problems is the tendency to take polarizing, ridiculous positions and refusing to engage in adult discussion. Even in the face of unspeakable loss.

17 Dec 2012 13:57 #58 by cydl
I think the most constructive conversation in light of the past several years is a discussion about mental health treatment in the US.

17 Dec 2012 13:59 #59 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic All you gun nuts are stained by this

chickaree wrote: Banning guns or video games are equally foolish. Putting sensible regulations on both makes sense. One of the reasons our country has become incapable of solving our problems is the tendency to take polarizing, ridiculous positions and refusing to engage in adult discussion. Even in the face of unspeakable loss.

Agree!

17 Dec 2012 14:01 #60 by chickaree

cydl wrote: I think the most constructive conversation in light of the past several years is a discussion about mental health treatment in the US.

That as well. Complex problems aren't solved with cookie cutter solutions.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds