President's Executive Orders announced.

17 Jan 2013 10:11 #61 by FredHayek
And more unintended consequences? If people are worried about being committed to a mental institution or having to surrender their guns, might they decide to not seek help?

And what about HIPPA, the patient's right to privacy. So if you have a contagious disease, the doctor isn't allowed to reveal the information to others, but you are having depression issues, it goes into a national database?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2013 10:17 #62 by Something the Dog Said
That is certainly a concern. However, even now, if a physician or mental health professional makes a diagnosis that a patient is a danger to themself or to others, they are required to report that patient to LE for a 72 hour hold until that patient can be more thoroughly evaluated. The problem that the President is addressing is that the background check database does not receive that information real time or even quickly, but only a couple of times a year. His thoughtful EO would provide that information much more quickly and would create an exception to current laws to allow that to happen.

It would not include such diagnosis as depression, but only that the patient poses a danger to others. But you knew that, didn't you?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

17 Jan 2013 10:18 #63 by LadyJazzer

Blazer Bob wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: Meanwhile back in the real world,

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gun-st ... atest_news

By Christopher Noble 7.50%5.00%2.50%0.00%-2.50%10a11a12p1p2p3p
RGR SWHC SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of gunmakers Sturm Ruger & Co. /quotes/zigman/242215/quotes/nls/rgr RGR +3.86% and Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. /quotes/zigman/87396/quotes/nls/swhc SWHC +2.73% rose on Wednesday after President Barack Obama announced a series of gun control steps. Ruger shares were up 3.5% at $49.67 and Smith & Wesson rose 3.8% to $8.75 as Obama laid out the measures.

Thanks for the chart SC. As I type RGR $51.89.

"LET US accept things as they are, and PROFIT off the folly of the world"

Fred, I really do owe you for pointing out the oppertunity. Can I buy you a beer.

My position up 19.41% since 12/20/12

And in other news:

Ill. Pension Funds to Divest Gun Makers - Yahoo! News

California Pension Fund to Divest From Gun Stocks

California Teacher's Fund to Divest of Gun Stock - NYTimes.com

State Pension Funds Move to Dump Gun Stocks Despite Rally ...

City officials call for divestment from gun ...

NY City and State Pension Funds Consider Divesting From Gun ...

17 Jan 2013 10:22 #64 by FredHayek
Brilliant move by the pension funds, sell out when the stocks are at record highs!

17 Jan 2013 10:25 #65 by Grady

Blazer Bob wrote:

Blazer Bob wrote: Meanwhile back in the real world,

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gun-st ... atest_news

By Christopher Noble 7.50%5.00%2.50%0.00%-2.50%10a11a12p1p2p3p
RGR SWHC SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of gunmakers Sturm Ruger & Co. /quotes/zigman/242215/quotes/nls/rgr RGR +3.86% and Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. /quotes/zigman/87396/quotes/nls/swhc SWHC +2.73% rose on Wednesday after President Barack Obama announced a series of gun control steps. Ruger shares were up 3.5% at $49.67 and Smith & Wesson rose 3.8% to $8.75 as Obama laid out the measures.

Thanks for the chart SC. As I type RGR $51.89.

"LET US accept things as they are, and PROFIT off the folly of the world"

Fred, I really do owe you for pointing out the oppertunity. Can I buy you a beer.

My position up 19.41% since 12/20/12

Want to bet that those pension funds who divested their holdings in these stocks are kicking themselves, and are now having to explain to the shareholders (pensioners) why they are now worth less?

17 Jan 2013 10:25 #66 by LadyJazzer
Some people have a conscience...Occasionally that trumps profits...

This is a concept that I don't expect Righties to comprehend.

17 Jan 2013 10:37 #67 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote: Some people have a conscience...Occasionally that trumps profits...

This is a concept that I don't expect Righties to comprehend.

:crying2: Their conscience evolved? They owned the gun makers when the homicide rate was higher but only divested them after gun deaths decreased and the stocks reached record highs?

Brilliant! Make a move for profit and declare it was for ethical reasons!

17 Jan 2013 10:44 #68 by LadyJazzer
You're the kind of clown that could call the Challenger disaster an "incomplete success"...

:Snooze

17 Jan 2013 10:53 #69 by Reverend Revelant

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Jan 2013 10:56 #70 by LadyJazzer
Wait a minute... HOLD THE PRESSES.... We have a solution to the whole gun-violence problem!!!

Rick Perry: Prayer Is The Solution To Gun Violence

No, REALLY!....I'm not making this up!!

:lol: :rofllol

I REALLY think we should let Texas secede... The average IQ of the American population would go up at least 8 points, instantly...

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds