do you think the courthouse is out of control

21 Jan 2013 08:12 #21 by FOS

Photo-fish wrote:

navycpo7 wrote: 285 Bound is one of the best things going regardless of what some think. JMO

:like:

I agree but i think it can be even better

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jan 2013 10:06 #22 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic do you think the courthouse is out of control
The reason people left the Study in favor of this site is because you cannot have a discussion with a back seat driver telling you what to say. And I don't like being treated like a kindergartner. If you want that there are places to go. Me? I am a 48 year old with adult kids I dislike being treated like a child. Organize the forum for everyone tell them why you are moving things etc. And it works pretty well. Don't focus on rules (TOS it's just a guideline) because every case is different.

In the beginning we were BIG on responding to people. PC wouldn't even tell you what was going on with your post. I know someone that kept posting thinking his post wasn't showing up then got banned for posting a post too many times. Tricking your users is cruel. And arrogance will kill it every time.

In fact, in my view, if you are really good at moderation you make it look easy. Your users don't even notice and feel there is not moderation and wonder why it is so great, but it is there. You just enjoy the board and controversy is about your area, politics and you rarely even talk about moderation unless it is a suggestion here and there in the letters to the editor section.

I got yelled at by an employee in a store this week. Never happened to me before she told me by asking her a question I was ruining her day she had better things to do. I let the manager know (I don't know if she will be fired) but seriously if you treat people that way you probably won't get customers.

My two cents. I know I am being mean to PC again and I will be big enough to admit they have made a few changes but the core belief is still there. Competition makes everyone better.

21 Jan 2013 10:23 #23 by The Dude
285PinecamBound.com

21 Jan 2013 10:37 #24 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic do you think the courthouse is out of control
Except for things being stuck in the Ring...Its perfect. Anybody thats crying about being called a moron or a retard needs to go to PC.. Or maybe take a long look at themselves to find out why poeple are calling them that. Thats what I do.

21 Jan 2013 10:38 - 23 Jan 2017 15:57 #25 by
There is a saying in sales. "You can't sell anyone if you don't love everyone" My philosophy? EVERYONE has a place. Trolls can even be neutralized with some tools that PC does not have.

So, let's put that to moderation of a COMMUNITY forum. Themed forums might be different but maybe not.

You can't moderate anybody if you don't love everybody. You start picking and choosing what can be seen, what or how things can be said or what people can and cannot post than it is not a public service and does not reflect their ideas it reflects yours. This skewing is extremely important.

One of our very first posts on 285bound.com
mymountaintown.com/forum/6-the-courthouse/295-moderation#299

How well do you trust a site that does not value your posts and deletes them whenever they want. All our posts are still here from years ago. User data is sacred to me. I feel that trust in us was important.

21 Jan 2013 11:07 #26 by chickaree
I look at it this way; Science Chic lets us come to her house to hang out. She lets us know she is busy and won't be here all the time and gives us her house rules: no fighting in the house -take it outside and be courteous to her other guests. When she comes back, people have wrecked her house and insulted her guests. Following basic rules of deportment is not that hard and I am sick of hearing the misbehaving few whine like spoiled adolescents because they are being asked to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed up. Is everyone this entitled in their day to day life?

21 Jan 2013 12:05 #27 by archer

chickaree wrote: I look at it this way; Science Chic lets us come to her house to hang out. She lets us know she is busy and won't be here all the time and gives us her house rules: no fighting in the house -take it outside and be courteous to her other guests. When she comes back, people have wrecked her house and insulted her guests. Following basic rules of deportment is not that hard and I am sick of hearing the misbehaving few whine like spoiled adolescents because they are being asked to follow the rules they agreed to when they signed up. Is everyone this entitled in their day to day life?

The flaw in that post is that the rules when we signed up were that this was an unmoderated board except for the TOS.....since I am probably the loudest whiner right now, I guess you consider me to be one of the misbehaving few.....so be it, I rarely use personal insults, preferring to point out the flaws in an argument and calling out those posts that are presented as fact but have little or no substance or basis. I don't think it is whining to want the board to keep it's original character and purpose and not head down the road so many boards have before it into moderation obscurity.

Oh.....can I now report your post for calling some of us the misbehaving few? Is that not a personal attack? See how this is going......you make a post that a month ago would not be considered an attack post, but now a case can be made that it contains a personal attack and should be moved to the Ring.

21 Jan 2013 12:12 #28 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic do you think the courthouse is out of control
A board has to be moderated. It has to or it will be over taken with spam etc. Really it is about organization and readability. If one poster is posting over and over every time someone posts, it will affect how easy the board is to read. That is all. Personal attacks can be funny so it is isolated where those that think it is funny can read them (the ring). Call someone a jerk, I find that entertaining at times with those that have a flair for it. The ring should not be a punishment. Or at least that is how we set it up originally.

Edited to add_ I meant to say worse that jerk. I personally do not think the ring was meant to put any insult in. Being called a jerk is not the end of the world.

21 Jan 2013 12:17 #29 by archer

CinnamonGirl wrote: A board has to be moderated. It has to or it will be over taken with spam etc.

I know that CG......we all do. And violations of the TOS need to be moderated. And that is what we signed up for, but do you admit it has gone beyond that when the moderators start deciding what should be removed from a conversation and moved to the Ring and what can stay?

21 Jan 2013 12:20 #30 by Grady
Here is an example of what seems a major problem.
FredHayek created a topic "Happy Inaguration Day President Obama!" and posted in it what I thought was a pretty positive non-attacking post.

FredHayek wrote: He made a number of pledges in his speech. What do you want him to accomplish in his next term?

I hope he introduces "sensible" measures to avert climate control like tax breaks/credits for better insulation.

His post was then followed by

He also stuck it to Paul Ryan...(and others):

Take that and stuff it..

Making sure that NONE of the pledges that were promised by Mitt-Flop & Lyin' Ryan are carried out.

What a way to have a discussion. :bash

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds