Boston Marathon Explosion(s)

16 Apr 2013 09:43 #51 by chickaree

bailey bud wrote: From Boston Globe, this morning

The Saudi man, believed to be a university student in ­Boston, is cooperating with the FBI and told agents that he was not involved in the explosions, and that he ran only because he was frightened. Investigators did not characterize the man as a suspect. No one had been ­arrested or charged by late Monday night.

That must have been frightening for him. In his country it might not have ended so well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2013 09:44 #52 by LadyJazzer
It was kept "facts-ONLY" for the first three pages of this thread. You can go back and review who started dragging politics and hate into the thread. I was hoping it would not go that way myself... But if that's the way it's going to be played, then so be it.

16 Apr 2013 09:46 #53 by chickaree
If we all dive down to match the worst behavior we see rather that strive up towards the best we will continue to drag our society down. Let bad behavior stand alone.

16 Apr 2013 09:47 #54 by Reverend Revelant
Someone very evil did this. The Boston first responders and support appeared to perform heroically. I hope they find him/her/them... and they are convicted. That's the whole story in a few sentences. At the moment, nothing else matters.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

16 Apr 2013 09:48 #55 by Reverend Revelant

LadyJazzer wrote: It was kept "facts-ONLY" for the first three pages of this thread. You can go back and review who started dragging politics and hate into the thread. I was hoping it would not go that way myself... But if that's the way it's going to be played, then so be it.

Do you tend to jump off cliffs just because someone else does it? Amazing.

16 Apr 2013 09:49 #56 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Boston Marathon Explosion(s)
Bottom line. This was an act of terrorism....foreign or domestic. No one knows.
ANYONE who tries to assess blame at this point is merely speculating.

and Rick....your right. It is growing exceedingly tiresome.
I am not sure where my frustration is focused at , at this point though.
I would give anything in the world to have an intelligent debate about important issues that affect us all but that has been impossible to do for quite some time here.

16 Apr 2013 10:36 #57 by Something the Dog Said
This week in April is notorious for home grown acts of violence including Waco, OKC, Columbine, Virginia Tech.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

16 Apr 2013 10:56 #58 by Reverend Revelant

Something the Dog Said wrote: This week in April is notorious for home grown acts of violence including Waco, OKC, Columbine, Virginia Tech.

There's a lot of home grown terrorists...

* September 2009: The discovery of hanged census-taker Bill Sparkman in rural Kentucky fueled media speculation that he’d been killed by anti-government Tea Partiers. In fact, he’d killed himself and staged his corpse to look like a homicide so his family could collect on life insurance.

* February 2010: Joe Stack flew his small plane into an IRS building in Austin, Texas. The media immediately suggested that the anti-tax rhetoric of the Tea Party led to the attack. In fact, Stack’s suicide note quoted the Communist Manifesto.

* That same month, a professor at the University of Alabama, Amy Bishop, shot and killed three colleagues at a faculty meeting. The gun-loving Tea Party came under immediate suspicion. But Bishop was a lifelong Democrat and Obama donor.

* March 2010: John Patrick Bedell shot two Pentagon security officers at close range. The media went wild with speculation that a right-wing extremist had reached the end of his rope. Bedell turned out to be a registered Democrat and 9/11 Truther.

* May 2010: New York authorities disarmed a massive car bomb in Times Square. Mayor Bloomberg immediately speculated that the bomber was someone upset about the president’s new health-care law. The media trumpeted the idea that crazed conservatives had (again, they implied) turned to violence. In fact, the perp was Faisal Shahzad, an Islamic extremist.

* August 2010: Amidst the debate over the Ground Zero Mosque, Michael Enright stabbed a Muslim cab driver in the neck. It was immediately dubbed an “anti-Muslim stabbing,” with “rising Islamophobia” on the political right to blame. In fact, Enright, a left-leaning art student, had worked with a firm that produced a pro-mosque statement.

* September 2010: James Lee, 43, took three hostages at the Discovery Channel’s headquarters in Maryland. The media speculation was unstoppable: Lee was surely a “climate-change denier” who’d resorted to violence. Oops: He was an environmentalist who viewed humans as parasites on the Earth.

* January 2011: Jared Lee Loughner went on a rampage in Tucson, Ariz. Again the media knew just who to blame: the Tea Party and its extremist rhetoric. In fact, Loughner was mostly apolitical — a conspiracy theorist who, to date, has been judged too mentally incompetent to stand trial.
The media’s habitual blaming of the political right is endemic and incurable. Media figures sincerely believe the right wing is violent, so naturally assume that violent people must be right-wing.

This won’t be the last time you make that mistake.

16 Apr 2013 11:22 #59 by chickaree

"I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths. But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out.
"So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will,"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z2QeEek3iU "

Patton Oswalt

I just read this and wanted to share it with all of you. I'm not familiar with this man, but I am so inspired and reassured by this that I am making it my sig line so I see it every time I post.

16 Apr 2013 11:43 #60 by chickaree
I was expecting claims of responsibility from the terrorists today. What do you think it means that there aren't any? Were the terrorists killed, was it a mass killing rather than a terrorist attack?

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds