Trolls uglier than ever,

22 Aug 2013 10:13 #1 by Blazer Bob
"08/21/2013 | 1:38 PM
Huffington: Trolls uglier than ever, so we’re cutting off anonymous comments

The days of anonymous commenting on The Huffington Post are numbered. Founder Arianna Huffington said in a question-and-answer session with reporters in Boston Wednesday that the online news site plans to require users to comment on stories under their real names, beginning next month.

“Freedom of expression is given to people who stand up for what they’re saying and not hiding behind anonymity,” she said.

Huffington was in the Hub to deliver a keynote address at the Inbound marketing conference, where she focused on work-life balance for business leaders.

But while talking to reporters after her speech about the need for businesses to evolve, she spilled the beans early on the commenting announcement, which apparently had been planned for a future date.

“We’ve just made a decision — we’re going to announce it soon, but here you are,” Huffington said. “I’m announcing it now. We’re going to end anonymity in comments.”...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Aug 2013 10:20 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Trolls uglier than ever,
LONG overdue....

22 Aug 2013 10:45 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Trolls uglier than ever,
Really? So if you are worried that people will go after you in real life for a comment to a story, you are out of luck. We have seen it here in the 285 community, where nutjobs go after people in real life including their workplaces for differences of opinion. I think this new policy will stifle honest debate.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Aug 2013 10:51 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I don't. People will just set up fake Facebook and email accounts and post away. Going to names reallly accomplishes nothing, iMHO.

22 Aug 2013 11:00 #5 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Trolls uglier than ever,
OR, perhaps people should be held ACCOUNTABLE for their deeds....It is just ONE of the reason
I do NOT do Facebook, Tweet,MyLife,Pinterest,text......the anonymity is insidious......OH and
I forgot all the dating sites (if I were single)....HOW do you REALLY know the individual on the
other side of screen???

I often marvel (in disbelief) people's WILLINGNESS to expose themselves thru these venues....
or the willingness to put themselves on a limb of "faith" and assume the poster on the other
side of the screen is who they say they are....

22 Aug 2013 12:42 #6 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Trolls uglier than ever,

homeagain wrote: OR, perhaps people should be held ACCOUNTABLE for their deeds....It is just ONE of the reason
I do NOT do Facebook, Tweet,MyLife,Pinterest,text......the anonymity is insidious......OH and
I forgot all the dating sites (if I were single)....HOW do you REALLY know the individual on the
other side of screen???

I often marvel (in disbelief) people's WILLINGNESS to expose themselves thru these venues....
or the willingness to put themselves on a limb of "faith" and assume the poster on the other
side of the screen is who they say they are....

And then complain about the NSA reading their boring emails.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Aug 2013 17:09 #7 by Reverend Revelant

Conservative Voice wrote: I don't. People will just set up fake Facebook and email accounts and post away. Going to names reallly accomplishes nothing, iMHO.

And you would know better than almost anyone...

Read this whole thread...

http://mymountaintown.com/forums/the-campfire/26996

#quislings

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

23 Aug 2013 04:47 #8 by Reverend Revelant

Conservative Voice wrote: I don't. People will just set up fake Facebook and email accounts and post away. Going to names reallly accomplishes nothing, iMHO.

You mean like you and VL?

This is what they think of us... just a bunch of pawns. I really had no idea, until I finally put two and two together... and Wayne and VL came clean on the thread in The Campfire.

I usually take people at face value, first time out (I've lived uphill for only 4 years), so I wasn't tripping around thinking paranoid things about some of the machinations I've seen on Pinecam, 285Bound and now here. I just took VL (under his various names) to be a troll, Conservative Voice (under his various names) to be a much more intelligent version of Lady Jazzer and all the other folk as just folk.

I wasn't so naive to think that there wasn't goofing going on occasionally... but honestly, I didn't even imagine it went on for the length of time, the levels of dishonesty and the pure animosity that has been displayed by VL and Wayne.

And all of that just to artificially generate traffic to a website, to stir the pot, to play neighbor against neighbor.

But that thread in The Campfire really says it all I guess. For those that haven't read it... please do so. If you're down with this crap, known about this all along... fine. But for those of you that have felt that someone has been playing you for the fool... you're spot on.

http://mymountaintown.com/forums/the-campfire/26996

#trollstimestwo

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

23 Aug 2013 06:49 - 24 Aug 2013 17:46 #9 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Trolls uglier than ever,
[youtube:2pazfj30]
[/youtube:2pazfj30]

23 Aug 2013 07:11 - 24 Aug 2013 17:47 #10 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Trolls uglier than ever,
[youtube:5hieus8n]
[/youtube:5hieus8n]

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds