Roe V. Wade Has Been Overturned

24 Jun 2022 09:22 - 24 Jun 2022 09:23 #11 by Rick
Your analogy is silly and makes no sense, SC. We The People should decide these decisions of morality, not 9 biased people.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2022 09:23 #12 by ScienceChic

ramage wrote: This is a great ruling for Colorado!
We were first in the nation to legalize recreational marijuana and now we will be first in the nation as an abortion destination.

For those who can afford it, yes. For those who can’t, they will suffer.

It will make the state more attractive to those who want those freedoms as well - you can kiss this state gone for ever being red again. And that is one of those broader implications to which I was referring: the widening division between the states. This country is fracturing and that will only make us weaker and prey for our enemies. If that doesn’t motivate any on either side to stop being part of the division, then those people are part of the problem. Move away from the extremes, stop supporting extremist candidates.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jun 2022 09:28 - 24 Jun 2022 09:33 #13 by ScienceChic
How is it silly Rick? We’re talking about body autonomy here and whether we have a right to choose whether to save another or not.

Edit to add: Roe vs Wade should never have had to been ruled upon in the first place, women should have always had the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. So no, it shouldn’t have come down to “9 individuals” on a court, it should’ve been a right all along in this country.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jun 2022 09:36 #14 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote:
It will make the state more attractive to those who want those freedoms as well - you can kiss this state gone for ever being red again.

Can you imagine the mental state of a person that would move from a red state to a blue state because of the ability to have an abortion? IMO, that is a very irrational person who's priorities are really messed up. People are leaving the most progressive states because of the way those states are being governed and the cosequences of that bad governance... high crime, high prices, high taxes.

People have a right to choose the laws of the land, not judges.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 09:37 #15 by koobookie

Rick wrote: People have a right to choose the laws of the land, not judges.

Really? Then let's put abortion rights to a vote. I'm sure that, based upon polls, abortion would be approved nation wide.

24 Jun 2022 09:42 #16 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: How is it silly Rick? We’re talking about body autonomy here and whether we have a right to choose whether to save another or not.

Edit to add: Roe vs Wade should never have had to been ruled upon in the first place, women should have always had the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. So no, it shouldn’t have come down to “9 individuals” on a court, it should’ve been a right all along in this country.

Your OPINION is no more credible than mine. You don't think an unborn human has any right to live, but I do. You can have your opinion and scream it louder than I do mine, but it's still just an opinion and not a fact. You say that women have "the right" to do whatever they want to their own bodies, and I agree. I just don't agree that they have the right to kill a life, even if that life happens to be in their body (unless it's a parasite or something that is harming their body). Again, just my opinion based on what I believe is humane and moral.

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 09:42 #17 by FredHayek
Note, this decision does not affect birth control or even morning after pills. But it is likely some of the deeper red states will tighten access to birth control.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Jun 2022 09:44 #18 by Rick

koobookie wrote:

Rick wrote: People have a right to choose the laws of the land, not judges.

Really? Then let's put abortion rights to a vote. I'm sure that, based upon polls, abortion would be approved nation wide.

Nice to see you back. Yes, I agree, lets let the people vote as we always have. Each state is governed differently based on the makeup of the population and that's why this country has worked so well .

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 09:46 #19 by ScienceChic
I didn't say that my opinion was more credible than yours, but you are also evading the question. If women don't have the right to terminate a pregnancy that would allow a life to continue, then any living person refusing to give up their own tissue to prevent the death of another is the same thing - killing another. Do you know how many people die each year waiting on organ and tissue donations? Let's start making them mandatory for any match and save those lives as well.

24 Jun 2022 09:47 #20 by koobookie

Rick wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: How is it silly Rick? We’re talking about body autonomy here and whether we have a right to choose whether to save another or not.

Your OPINION is no more credible than mine. You don't think an unborn human has any right to live, but I do. You can have your opinion and scream it louder than I do mine, but it's still just an opinion and not a fact. You say that women have "the right" to do whatever they want to their own bodies, and I agree. I just don't agree that they have the right to kill a life, even if that life happens to be in their body (unless it's a parasite or something that is harming their body). Again, just my opinion based on what I believe is humane and moral.

Take your logic, Rick, to the extreme to test it - If life begins at conception, then why can I not take out a life insurance policy on that human in the womb? Why does child support only begin at birth?

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds