Roe V. Wade Has Been Overturned

24 Jun 2022 11:37 #41 by Carrie
I have to laugh (but end up crying for my country) at all of these males who value their manhood by how many they can breed, how they are all so anti-abortion but none have adopted any of these children and have no plan on what happens after the child is born. I stand with Science Chick and make two suggestions: First, read "It Can't Happen Here" by C.S. Lewis. It was written in the 30's during the Great Depression and as the Nazis were coming to power in Germany. It teaches you one thing: It CAN and it IS. Second, it's getting to the point where the Republican Party (Lincoln is turning over in his grave) should be added to the list of terrorist organizations. Jan. 6th anyone???
The following user(s) said Thank You: koobookie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2022 11:55 #42 by koobookie
but it's not about the unborn, it's not about the babies.

Attachments:

24 Jun 2022 11:56 #43 by Rick
Is there anyone in this thread whole agrees with the Colorado law that a baby can be aborted right up to the time of enering the birth canal? Do you think there could be a rational argument for that beng a cruel act or does a woman's decision overrided any moral argument? BTW, it's not just men who believe in an unborn baby's right to survive and to not be ripped apart alive.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 11:56 #44 by ScienceChic
I don't ascribe to the Republican Party being terrorists at all. Just like the Democratic Party, there are representatives who are extremists who should be ignored, and there are others who are sensible and moderate.

We need to stop vilifying entire groups and hold accountable those individuals who make decisions that harm this nation. We must find a way to work together and find compromises as it used to be, because if we tear this country apart into red vs blue states, our enemies are ready to take full advantage of that opportunity. They're already preparing for conflict, and already working to divide us further, and laughing gleefully at this ruling today knowing what it will do to us.

I also condemn right here and now ANY violence in regards to this. Fight this the right way with peaceful protests, getting active in your local government, working to elect those who uphold our values, and paying attention to what's being passed. Make your voices heard, do not riot or target any person online or in-person for harm.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jun 2022 12:00 #45 by Carrie

Carrie wrote: I have to laugh (but end up crying for my country) at all of these males who value their manhood by how many they can breed, how they are all so anti-abortion but none have adopted any of these children and have no plan on what happens after the child is born. I stand with Science Chick and make two suggestions: First, read "It Can't Happen Here" by C.S. Lewis. It was written in the 30's during the Great Depression and as the Nazis were coming to power in Germany. It teaches you one thing: It CAN and it IS. Second, it's getting to the point where the Republican Party (Lincoln is turning over in his grave) should be added to the list of terrorist organizations. Jan. 6th anyone???

24 Jun 2022 12:12 #46 by Carrie
I obviously didn't make my sarcasm clear in my last post. You are correct, Science Chick. I have some good friends who are Republicans and are sane, rational people. I've been a registered Independent for the over 50 years I've been eligible to vote and have voted for members of both parties. However, radicals on BOTH sides send me into waves of frustration over the absolute lack of intelligence, humanity and empathy. I have never understood, and never will, how people can judge by color, religion or sexual orientation, rather than the mettle of a person. I don't understand the need to restrict others to force them to adhere to my personal beliefs. I don't understand how parents can farm their kids out to daycare, school, and babysitters, but discipline to teach right from wrong isn't allowed, and then wonder why their kid goes and murders a bunch of children. I don't understand stealing from or exploiting others in any manner and hope I never do. Animals kill for two reasons, defense and food. Man is the only species who kills indiscriminately and often his own kind, to the detriment of his species and the world itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

24 Jun 2022 12:17 #47 by ScienceChic
I agree with the Colorado Reproductive Health Equity Act which states:

The bill declares that every individual has a fundamental right to use or refuse contraception; every pregnant individual has a fundamental right to continue the pregnancy and give birth or to have an abortion; and a fertilized egg, embryo, or fetus does not have independent or derivative rights under the laws of the state.

Colorado governor signs bill affirming abortion, contraception access into law
Jesse Paul, The Colorado Sun | Apr 4, 2022

Colorado, which in 1967 became the first state to loosen its abortion laws, is among the states with the fewest abortion restrictions.

You get hung up on the late term abortions because it's emotionally upsetting, but the facts show that those abortions constitute 1% of all abortions. If you're targeting stopping those, you aren't reducing the vast majority of abortions that occur. Not only that, but the majority of late-term abortions are babies who are wanted but cannot continue due to the health of the mother or the fetus, not done for "birth control" reasons. Would you really take that option away from a couple?

If you really want to reduce the abortion rate, you'd focus not on restricting abortion, but on vastly increasing access to affordable contraception. Proven by real-world data.

CU Boulder Study Finds That Better Access To Birth Control Boosts High School Graduation Rates
By Jenny Brundin, CPR News | May 8, 2021

A new study shows that when people in Colorado had access to free and low-cost birth control through a statewide program, the percentage of students who left high school before graduating decreased by 14 percent, according to a new CU Boulder-led study published in the journal Science Advances.

It also showed increased access to birth control led to lower birth and abortion rates. The study, which used U.S. Census data to track more than 170,000 women for up to seven years, suggests that better access to contraception improves women’s lives, according to author and assistant professor of sociology Amanda Stevenson.

“The magnitude of this effect at the full population level is pretty big,” she said.

Colorado abortion rates keep declining. Free IUDs and easier access to the pill are the reason.
Jennifer Brown, The Colorado Sun | Oct 21, 2019

Colorado IUD program leads to decline in teen pregnancies, abortions
AP via Coloradoan | December 2, 2017

Those IUD's mentioned above would likely be targeted by some states as an abortifacient and denied to women as a means of birth control; thus resulting in a greater chance of unwanted pregnancies and increased numbers of abortions. That's just counter-intuitive and dumb, which is why you'll see liberals claiming that it's not about reducing the abortion rate but about controlling women's choices. If you truly want to reduce the number of abortions that occur, then you base your support on actual proven data, and eliminating choice is not the answer.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jun 2022 12:23 #48 by Rick

koobookie wrote: They're coming for gay marriage, Rick. Ironic, considering Clarence married a woman from a different race. You would think he would have more compassion about marriage equality. Then he's going after your ability to choose birth control. Wow.

I think you're wrong... that will not be a case the SC court addresses. If 'm wrong I'll own up to it. One Justice making a statement means nothing, he's just one person and can't make those decisions on his own. I don't agree with everything every conservative says because, believe it or not, we are al different, just like the people on the left.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 12:37 #49 by Rick
SC, what is your personal opinion on when a fetus/baby/"bodily tissue" should be able to be aborted/killed? I never get this answer because it's uncomfortable to most people, including people who believe abortion is a right. Abortion used to be rare until it became legal, then it became routine. If there is no restriction on when a baby can be aborted, people will make the rare cases more common, IMO. If you tell little children that they can change their gender if they "feel" like the opposite sex, more children will believe that they are the opposite sex. If you allow doctors to mutilate minors who believe they are not the correct sex, more minors wil be mutilated. If my opinions make people feel uncomfortable, so be it, I still have the right to make them and I'll always be willing to debate them.

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 12:42 #50 by koobookie
When Trump was elected, I remarked to a friend that I was worried about Roe v Wade. He assured me that it was safe and the judges Trump would appoint would not overturn that decision. Look what happened today - it's not inconceivable that LGBTQ rights, marriage equality, and contraception will be on the chopping block.

You say it can't happen, but Clarence only needs four other justices to join him and we are back to 1950.

Cases are being brought before the Supreme Court. This is from 2015, so not too long ago.

www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/qa-issues-...s-gay-marriage-cases

Narrow minded people are constantly trying to impose their own version of morality upon everyone else.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds