Roe V. Wade Has Been Overturned

24 Jun 2022 09:48 #21 by koobookie

Rick wrote: People have a right to choose the laws of the land, not judges.

Five judges just took away a right that has been guaranteed to me for the past 50 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2022 09:50 #22 by FredHayek
Colorado still guarantees that right. You can have your partial birth abortion here.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Jun 2022 09:52 #23 by driver8

Rick wrote:

koobookie wrote:

Really? Then let's put abortion rights to a vote. I'm sure that, based upon polls, abortion would be approved nation wide.

Each state is governed differently based on the makeup of the population and that's why this country has worked so well .

Except for Thursdays opinion on NY state concealed carry. How is that not a states right and yet you say abortion is a state right? ANd there are nation GOP leaders calling for a nationwide abortion ban that would be going against the opinion of over 70% of the population.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, koobookie

24 Jun 2022 09:54 - 24 Jun 2022 09:54 #24 by Rick

koobookie wrote:

Five judges just took away a right that has been guaranteed to me for the past 50 years.

It was 6 judges and abortion is not banned. The authority has been given back to the people to decide, just like it should have been done 50 years ago. If the decision was the opposite 50 years ago, you and others would have been demanding to let the people decide, as it should be.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 10:00 #25 by Rick

driver8 wrote:

Rick wrote:

koobookie wrote:

Really? Then let's put abortion rights to a vote. I'm sure that, based upon polls, abortion would be approved nation wide.

Each state is governed differently based on the makeup of the population and that's why this country has worked so well .

Except for Thursdays opinion on NY state concealed carry. How is that not a states right and yet you say abortion is a state right? ANd there are nation GOP leaders calling for a nationwide abortion ban that would be going against the opinion of over 70% of the population.

Apples and oranges. Gving citizens their right to protect themsleves has nothing to do with giving a human a right to kill another human. Besides, NY is experiencing a huge crime wave after it's leadership defunded police and quit locking up criminals. We have the 2nd Amendment because we have the right to protect ourselves from people who wish to harm us, including the government.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 10:02 #26 by ScienceChic

Rick wrote:

koobookie wrote:

It was 6 judges and abortion is not banned. The authority has been given back to the people to decide, just like it should have been done 50 years ago. If the decision was the opposite 50 years ago, you and others would have been demanding to let the people decide, as it should be.

Because it should be a universal right, not one based state-by-state.

You are evading the question. If women don't have the right to terminate a pregnancy that would allow a life to continue, then any living person refusing to give up their own tissue to prevent the death of another is the same thing - killing another. Do you know how many people die each year waiting on organ and tissue donations? Let's start making them mandatory for any match and save those lives as well.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: koobookie

24 Jun 2022 10:10 #27 by Rick
SC, I don't think we can ever cme to agreement on anything having to do with abortion if you think a living human is just "bodily tisue" and I think it's a unique living human life.

I have no obligation to give someone one of my organs because I played no part in their organ failure. If I shot someone unjustly and destroyed their only kidney, you could make a good case that I owe them one.

I just happen to believe that the people in each state need to decide what is morally acceptable and what is not. I just don't understand why you think 9 judges 50 years ago had the right to make that decision for all of us. Now the Constitution has the ability to work as designed.

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 10:14 #28 by FredHayek
Silver lining for the DNC? It looked like Democrats were going to lose their majority in the House and Senate in November. Now their base is energized and they can win enough House and Senate seats to make abortion the law across the nation. They have had this opportunity before but never got it done.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Jun 2022 10:18 #29 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: Silver lining for the DNC? It looked like Democrats were going to lose their majority in the House and Senate in November. Now their base is energized and they can win enough House and Senate seats to make abortion the law across the nation. They have had this opportunity before but never got it done.

People are finding it harder to survive with every month that goes by, under democrat rule. Do you really think Democrats will be energized by abortion more than they will be energized to save their standards of living? I'm sure some will, but they are greatly outnumbered imo.

George Orwell

24 Jun 2022 10:19 #30 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: Colorado still guarantees that right. You can have your partial birth abortion here.

Ah, yes, throw up the "partial birth abortion" red herring in an attempt to divert. Nice.

Think about it Fred (and Rick.) What happens when a Colorado doctor provides an abortion to a woman from Texas and they both get sued in a civil case? What happens when a Colorado doctor moves to Texas and then gets sued because they provided abortions in Colorado? What happens when a woman can't afford to move or cross state lines and is forced to carry a child to term?

Each state gets to decide what I can and cannot do with my body?

It used to be a universal right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. Now it's "up to the states?"

Make no mistake, the next issue will LGBTQ rights and marriage equality. Will the Supreme Court get to decide who I can and cannot marry, based upon gender or race? You may laugh, but that is next.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds