SENATE PASSES AID BILL FOR UKRAINE, ISRAEL AND TIAWAN

15 Feb 2024 21:29 #21 by FredHayek

I want to see Putin lose and withdraw from Ukraine. I just don't want to bankroll it all.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Feb 2024 21:55 - 15 Feb 2024 21:59 #22 by ramage
You have been paying for it for more than the last 10 yrs. Most visible was the Maidan Overthrow of a constitutional government in Feb 2014. Then paying for the build up of the largest army in Europe. Most recently, since 2022, giving billions to Ukraine to pay for the Ukraines to fight and die.
I agree that you should say, I don't want to pay for this anymore. Unfortunately voices should have been raised several years ago.
Understand that 4 oblasts of the old Ukraine have left and are now part of the Russian Federation that it not going to change.

16 Feb 2024 07:49 #23 by Rick
How many Ukrainians are left to fight? How many are trained soldiers? The idea that Ukraine can win, at this point, is just illogical wishful thinking.

There was never a real commitment from NATO countries from the start. Nobody really wanted to get very involved for reasons of self interest. Our leadership is far too weak and incompetent to have deterred Putin and he knew that. So all we do is through money at that corrupt country and hope some of it makes it to the battlefield.

The West is chocked full of weak leaders who talk big and carry little sticks.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Feb 2024 08:06 #24 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: I want to see Putin lose and withdraw from Ukraine. I just don't want to bankroll it all.

"WE" aren't bankrolling it all.
www.statista.com/chart/28489/ukrainian-m...inancial-aid-donors/
Attachments:

16 Feb 2024 08:42 #25 by homeagain
FUNNY, how facts can change the narrative....find any other source to dispute the above????

16 Feb 2024 10:17 #26 by ramage
This Statista graph actually supports the narrative. The graph clearly indicates that the U.S. provides the lion's share of military aid.
Also the graph ends Oct 31,2023. The U.S. Senate passed a foreign aid bill that will send Ukraine an additional $60 billion. God forbid but if this bill should pass the House of Representatives, the total amount given to Ukraine will be $131.4 billion dwarfing all other countries combined.
As you are in favor of giving them aid, then you are in favor of this bill. Is that correct?

16 Feb 2024 10:22 #27 by koobookie
It also shows that the U.S. does not provide the most financial aid., the EU does. It further shows that there are many countries that are contributing to resisting Russian aggression.

16 Feb 2024 11:31 #28 by ramage
Evidently you prefer concrete thinking .

Start with this from the Statista graph:
The U.S. supplies Ukraine the most support of any country. You do realize that "EU Institutions" is not a country, don't you? Again from the graph and as I have stated in an earlier post, the U.S. provides more than 50% of the Military Aid. Both of these numbers will be substantially increased if the Senate bill were to be adopted.

That being said are you disputing Fred's opinion about foreign aid or do you simply want to argue about his choice of words?

Thanks for providing the graph.

16 Feb 2024 12:20 #29 by koobookie
The EU (European Union), as a collective whole, contributes more in total financial help than the U.S. We agree on that.

Yes, the U.S. contributes more military equipment than others. I am not disputing that. I do not know why you needed to make that distinction, other than to argue about the choice of words.

Fred said that he doesn't want us to "bankroll it all." I pointed out that we are not the only ones contributing to the Ukrainian defense. I often think that when conservatives listen to their right wing sources, the narrative being provided distorts reality. In this case, I'll bet that those sources are making it seem like the U.S. is "bankrolling it all."

16 Feb 2024 12:54 - 16 Feb 2024 12:55 #30 by FredHayek
K defeats their own argument. The EU is over twenty nations, so individually they are providing 6% of what America is spending.
Cheapskates!
Plus America spends much more than 2% on their military budget compared to other NATO members. Denver Post article today, Europe is spending more on their military now, but too little, too late. It will take years to reopen their defense plants.

They got too used to American taxpayers defending them from Putin.

And they are the nations that have Russian tanks only 500 miles away.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds