BP Oil Spill Updates

16 Jun 2010 13:54 #161 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Joe wrote:

jf1acai wrote: Joe, I agree that it seems pretty reckless of Obama to claim that BP was reckless at this stage.

It could be BP was reckless, it just seems it has not been established yet.

So the testimony before Congress from other oil company execs that they would never have approved cutting corners on the core drilling the way BP did doesn't help establish that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2010 15:02 #162 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
It may be a start Wayne. I hadn't heard what was in the Testimony. I found this article:
http://www.investmentadvisor.com/news/2 ... ation.aspx

Quotes:
"Rep. Henry Waxman (D-California) chastised the industry for "cookie cutter" response plans and drilling strategies. The other companies "are no better prepared to deal with a major oil spill than was BP," said Waxman, setting the tone for a tense hearing."

"The circumstances leading up to the well blowout are being examined as part of the investigations under way, said McKay (BP). "The well design is not an unusual design for the Gulf of Mexico," he insisted."

"ExxonMobil's Tillerson said the spill would not have occurred if BP had properly designed its deepwater well."

"We would not have drilled the well in that way," said James Mulva, the CEO of ConocoPhillips."

"As BP's McKay sat inches away, Shell president Marvin Odum said, "It's not a well that we would have drilled the way it was set up."

"Chevron CEO John Watson said some of BP's practices aimed at well integrity "we would not put in place."

I don't know if it establishes recklessness, sounds like general statements by Oil co competitors that don't want the gov't to shut down all drilling for 6 months because they are all smarter than BP. Maybe they are, who knows? If the pres. is going to throw around accusations, all I am asking is for the details. I'll wait for the blue ribbon commission report.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

16 Jun 2010 17:30 #163 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Different companies, even different project superintendents within the same company, have different ways of accomplishing the same task. This does not necessarily indicate that one method is better, or safer, than another.

I agree with Joe, I will wait until all the facts are available before making a judgement, and I am appalled that the President is apparently not willing to do the same.

Of course, he has shown a tendency to do this before - I don't think he should get off by 'buying' a couple beers this time.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Jun 2010 17:44 #164 by LOL
Yeah, JF1, $20 billion should buy more than a couple beers. I think this tough talk is more about deflecting criticism, even Obama's media pals are turning on him lately. Poor guy has alot of beers to buy!

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

16 Jun 2010 17:52 #165 by jf1acai
Speaking of the $20B, I am not at all surprised that BP agreed to this. They have said all along that they will pay all legitimate claims. As you said, Obama took this opportunity to try to make some political hay, but it really did nothing at all.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

16 Jun 2010 18:51 #166 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

jf1acai wrote: Different companies, even different project superintendents within the same company, have different ways of accomplishing the same task. This does not necessarily indicate that one method is better, or safer, than another.

Among the problems found by independent safety experts:

*improper well design
*improper cement design
*early warning signs not properly detected, analyzed or corrected
*removing the pressure barrier -- displacing drilling mud with sea water 8,000 feet below the drill deck
*flawed design and maintenance of the final line of defense – the blowout preventer

16 Jun 2010 19:03 #167 by LOL
I like the picture, thanks Wayne. I am sure more details are forthcoming.
Speculation, rumors, and tough talk are always first. Facts come later.

BTW Wayne, shouldn't you link your sources in that last post?

16 Jun 2010 22:32 #168 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Joe wrote: I like the picture, thanks Wayne. I am sure more details are forthcoming.
Speculation, rumors, and tough talk are always first. Facts come later.

BTW Wayne, shouldn't you link your sources in that last post?

This isn't another site. And besides he drew it. I am just confused why the drill bit looks like bull testicles??

17 Jun 2010 06:49 #169 by jf1acai

Among the problems found by independent safety experts:

*improper well design
*improper cement design
*early warning signs not properly detected, analyzed or corrected
*removing the pressure barrier -- displacing drilling mud with sea water 8,000 feet below the drill deck
*flawed design and maintenance of the final line of defense – the blowout preventer

I am interested in source and further information on these. I have heard of some, not heard of others.

17 Jun 2010 06:57 #170 by LOL
Viking, I trust Wayne's integrity, after all he is a "news man". I thought it was required for "fair use" and sometimes a link has more info to read. The pic does kinda look like Rocky mountain oysters!

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds