BP Oil Spill Updates

16 Jun 2010 09:01 #151 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
To put a fine point on it then, when you said Obama doesn't have a clue, you actually meant everyone -- not just the president.

The Viking wrote: Well apparently Obama has the answer. He said it will be all but stopped within a few days to weeks. So I guess we will see what he has up his sleeve.

What he actually said was that "within weeks (BP's) efforts (with the well head) should capture up to 90 percent of the oil leaking out of the well." Later in the summer, he said, the company should finish drilling a relief well to stop the leak completely.

What he has up his sleeve is letting BP do its job.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2010 09:05 #152 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Read this and tell me Obama cares more about our nation and those people in the south than he does about his precious unions. He refused help fromt he Dutch on day 3 and instead took over a 5 weeks to train union people so they could use the Dutch equiptment. Greedy bastard!! Not to mention that Bobby Jindal is finally having to take actin to build the berms to stop the oil himself as obama also refused help from the Dutch for that. Communist!!

A Houston-based company is now cleaning oil off surface water in the Gulf of Mexico using sweeping arms that attach to a boat and help gather large amounts of oil. These sophisticated devices were provided by a Dutch company with years of experience in such operations, but instead of using the Dutch ships and crews immediately, when The Netherlands offered help in April, the operation was delayed until U.S. crews could be trained.

The Obama administration declined the Dutch offer partly because of the Jones Act, which restricts foreign ships from certain activities in U.S. waters. During the Hurricane Katrina crisis five years ago, the Bush administration waived the Jones Act in order to facilitate some foreign assistance, but such a waiver was not given in this case.

The Dutch also offered assistance with building sand berms (barriers) along the coast of Louisiana to protect sensitive marshlands, but that offer was also rejected, even though Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal had been requesting such protective barriers.

16 Jun 2010 09:08 #153 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

The Viking wrote: And here is the funniest part that again mainstream media won't talk about. The obama administration gave that very rig a saftey award last year. Oops, guess it wasn't so safe. Now they are coming out saying they were reckless just a year after giving them an award for safety? He is so full of crap!!

Hmm would ABC be part of the main stream media that you're claiming wouldn't talk about it?

MMS issued its SAFE award to Transocean for its performance in 2008, crediting the company's "outstanding drilling operations" and a "perfect performance period." Transocean spokesman Guy Cantwell told ABC News the awards recognized a spotless record during repeated MMS inspections, and should be taken as evidence of the company's longstanding commitment to safety.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/louisiana ... d=10528236

(You do realize a company can get a safety aware for past performance and have an explosion two years later? That the people around two years before making it safe may not have been there two years later when it became unsafe?)

16 Jun 2010 09:14 #154 by The Viking
So let me turn this around. If you were in charge and this happened and you knew that cleaning it up as fast as possible and stopping it from hitting our shores was a priority or it would be an economic disastor for the country. And you had countries with sophisticated equipment that could clean it up quickly and maybe get ahead of it and keep it from our shores, and they offered you help on day 3 and also offered help to build berms like Jindal wanted and now they are finally doing, to stop it from reaching our shores. And you had the ability like Bush did to waive the Jones Act to prevent a national disastor or at least make it a lot less, would you turn them down? And if you had 15 nations offering to send help to clean it up and keep it off our shores, would you tell them no, and why or why not?

16 Jun 2010 09:14 #155 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Joe, I agree that it seems pretty reckless of Obama to claim that BP was reckless at this stage.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Jun 2010 09:16 #156 by The Viking
I guess what I am saying is what is more important to you? The Jones Act (which you could waive), or the economic future of a region of the US, and the environmental future for decades to come? They keep showing all those oil covered animals. Most of those would be fine today if Obama would have waived that act and let them come and help.

16 Jun 2010 09:38 #157 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

jf1acai wrote: Joe, I agree that it seems pretty reckless of Obama to claim that BP was reckless at this stage.

It could be BP was reckless, it just seems it has not been established yet. Airliners crash in tragic accidents and they are not usually caused by reckless behavior. Airlines have stringent safety requirements and back up systems too, but once in awhile something goes wrong.

Since it was part of a prepared speech, it seems it was well thought out ahead of time. Kind of like the get tough, kick butt speech.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

16 Jun 2010 09:38 #158 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic BP Oil Spill Updates
Viking, I hadn't read about the Jones act, and the Dutch offer to help. Thanks.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

16 Jun 2010 09:57 #159 by The Viking

Joe wrote: Viking, I hadn't read about the Jones act, and the Dutch offer to help. Thanks.

I started a thread on it as this needs to get out there!

16 Jun 2010 12:39 #160 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic BP Oil Spill Updates

Joe wrote:

jf1acai wrote: Joe, I agree that it seems pretty reckless of Obama to claim that BP was reckless at this stage.

It could be BP was reckless..

Ya think?

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds