Personal Insults

23 Nov 2010 11:45 #1 by Scruffy
Personal Insults was created by Scruffy
What's your take on personal insults? Do they raise the level of discourse here? Is there ever a time when they are appropriate? Would you talk that way in front of your mother?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2010 11:53 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Personal Insults
I think people act differently face-to-face than they do online.

I think there are bullies in the real world and online.

I think there are people who enjoy causing disruption on the forums, like the kid in the back of the class making noise while everyone else is learning.

I think there are people who aren't happy, no matter what, and will find fault with anything.

I think there are those who can't handle an actual debate of facts and so they resort to childish name calling in order to participate.

Some people still haven't grown up and enjoy figuring out ways to change usernames into juvenile variations of usernames. I'm not sure why, but it always seems to be the conservative posters who do that every day.

My guess is they really are too scared or lazy to engage in a civil discussion.

23 Nov 2010 11:53 #3 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Personal Insults
Do those that make personal insults think they are really adding to the debate? Why do people make these insults? Some of them are really disgusting and mean, and I'm sure they are chasing away some reasonable posters that could add to the discussion.

23 Nov 2010 11:54 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I don't think they care and I don't think they can be shamed into caring.

23 Nov 2010 11:57 #5 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Personal Insults
Personal insults do not add anything to a serious conversation, which does happen here once in a while. Some of the threads are nothing but insults which again is sometimes OK. I didn’t vote in your poll because there wasn’t a good answer, in my opnion.

23 Nov 2010 11:58 #6 by Scruffy
I think I can change the poll? What would be a good answer?

23 Nov 2010 11:58 #7 by Wayne Harrison
I disagree with your statement that personal insults happen here "once in a while." It's the norm for some. That's ALL they do.

23 Nov 2010 12:03 - 23 Nov 2010 12:05 #8 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Scruffy wrote: Do those that make personal insults think they are really adding to the debate? Why do people make these insults? Some of them are really disgusting and mean, and I'm sure they are chasing away some reasonable posters that could add to the discussion.

An insult is an insult. You assholes think that somehow you are entitled to insult and belittle people whom you know cannot defend themselves here. Just because they are well known doesn't make them anymore fair game than you or me. So if you think you can poke your boney finger at someone don't be surprised if you get a harpoon from me.

You can dish it out but don't want to be served.

23 Nov 2010 12:05 #9 by Scruffy

Teddy wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Do those that make personal insults think they are really adding to the debate? Why do people make these insults? Some of them are really disgusting and mean, and I'm sure they are chasing away some reasonable posters that could add to the discussion.

An insult is an insult. You assholes think that somehow you are entitled to insult and belittle people whom you know cannot defend themselves here. Just because they are well known doesn't make them anymore fair game than you or me. So if you think you can poke your boney finger at someone don't be surprised if you get a harpoon from me.

So, if we poke fun and insult Sarah Palin, it's bad? But poking fun of and insulting Obama is good?

23 Nov 2010 12:07 #10 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
You were the one whinging about insults.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds