Personal Insults

23 Nov 2010 12:14 #11 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Personal Insults

I disagree with your statement that personal insults happen here "once in a while."

I think the statement:

Personal insults do not add anything to a serious conversation, which does happen here once in a while.

actually indicates that serious conversation does happen here once in a while.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2010 12:22 #12 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Personal Insults
But, I thought this thread was going to be a list, so we could all learn new ones!!

:lol:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

23 Nov 2010 12:30 #13 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Personal Insults

Teddy wrote: You were the one whinging about insults.

Whining? Hardly. I'm complaining about the number of insults on this board, which I believe drives serious posters, like AspenValley, away. You are one of the worst at throwing insults.

You were the one who was claiming that you were defending those who do not post here. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of your statement. You will defend people on your "side" from insults, while insulting those on the other "side." Which is it, Teddy? You can't have it both ways and keep any resemblance of integrity.

23 Nov 2010 12:37 #14 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic Personal Insults
What I'm hearing from this is that if we discuss anyone can't defend themselves (that would be anyone not registered on this site -- including all national politicians and public figures) that somehow opens the discussion up to insults on the person making the post.

What I don't understand is, wouldn't defending the person who can't defend themselves be more constructive for all concerned? How does an insult contribute anything to the discussion?

For instance, if I say person A doesn't understand world economics.

Under Teddy's rules, it allows him to insult me but doesn't require him to defend person B with a rebuttal. The insult to the person who made the statement replaces the rebuttal showing person A does, in fact, understand world economics.

So attacking the messenger by calling them vile names is somehow better than responding with other facts to dispute person A.

(There will be a delay in Teddy responding because he'll actually have to think of something to say)

23 Nov 2010 13:03 #15 by Nobody that matters
Insults are fine if two people implicity or explicitly agree to a flame war. Then, the insults can be entertaining.

In regular discussions the insults are worthless and while I don't think they are any indication of the intelligence of the poster, they are a definite indication of their lack of social skills.

When I'm interested in a thread, I'll start reading each post. If I hit an insult or a name changed into a slur I move to the next post.

I skip alot of posts on this board.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

23 Nov 2010 13:12 #16 by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Pineguy wrote: For instance, if I say person A doesn't understand world economics.

Under Teddy's rules, it allows him to insult me but doesn't require him to defend person B with a rebuttal. The insult to the person who made the statement replaces the rebuttal showing person A does, in fact, understand world economics.

So attacking the messenger by calling them vile names is somehow better than responding with other facts to dispute person A.

(There will be a delay in Teddy responding because he'll actually have to think of something to say)

Who died and deemed you an expert on anything. Here is a fact. If you were gone tomorrow the world would not change one iota. You're not like a baker who provides food for people. You're not a doctor who heals people. You not a retailer who sells people things they want or need. You don't even help people get rid of their trash. All you do is try to fill their heads with the horses..t that exists between your ears. Now if an expert in the world of global finance says, "Person A doesn't understand world economics", he speaks from a position of a working knowledge of the subject.

23 Nov 2010 13:20 #17 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Personal Insults
well pineguy, teddy just proved your point. Nice of him don't ya think?

23 Nov 2010 13:33 #18 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Personal Insults
I also didn't vote because I don't believe that insults add anything to any conversation. The point can be made without name-calling or insulting anyone.

And, if someone thinks they have to get their point across by insulting me by calling me names ("asshole" is one of them, though I can be one at times...I am not one when stating my opinion), then I'll just turn around and walk away without listening.

My ex-husband believed in name-calling if my opinion differed from his and it quickly grew into verbal abuse...I will not tolerate that at all ever again.

23 Nov 2010 13:57 #19 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Personal Insults
I would like to add my two cents to this and make a valid point to you all. Insults do not show the intelligence of the person who throws them out, but in defense of it, I have to tell you that the ability to say whatever you want to is the reason most of us are on this forum. On Pineslam we were either shutdown or told to leave because it wasn't allowed. Also, the moderators are totally Left Leaning in their philosophy and moderation. That includes you Pineguy, since you were apparently the one who created the other site.

This site has proven to be successful because, not despite, the ability to post whatever you want to, insults or foul language, as long as it is posted in the Ring. Meanwhile it has drawn visitors from all over the place, trying to figure out the formula that has proven to be a success. It is distinctly because of the controversy, not necessarily the insults, that this site is becoming such a success, and we shouldn't try to either self moderate or to change this successful formula, IMO.

Now to the question itself. It seems to be okay for those on the left side of the aisle to throw insults out, but if it comes from the right side, it is wrong. This is a two way street. Don't condemn Palin or Bush and expect a pass for Obama, who IMO is the worst of them all. Plain and simple!!!

23 Nov 2010 14:07 #20 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Personal Insults
Insults detract from any conversation. I fail to see the purpose for it other than to put someone down to make yourself look better??? Not even that works in the eys of many. Like Nobody that Matters posted, I too skip a lot of posts and threads that specialize in such diatribe. Is it not possible to say that you do not agree with another's perspective or belief and leave it at that? Must everyone view the world the same way to avoid insult? I see insults especially prevalent in the political arena, a perspective waged mainly on emotions rather than critical thinking. Given the number of political threads, I've learned to simply make myself scarce.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds