VOTE on TUESDAY, MAY 3! CONIFER PARK & REC!

06 Mar 2011 11:46 #11 by navycpo7

Boneyard wrote: You will not get a mail-in ballot even if you are signed up with Jefferson County as a permanent mail-in voter. Supposedly you can get one by contacting the designated election official by April 26th. I will vote in person just to be on the safe side.

The contact information given is in the HTT is:
Sue Blair, Designated Election Official
C/O Community Resource Services
3855 Lewiston Street, Suite 140
Aurora, CO 80011
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM
Phone 303-381-4960
Fax 303-381-4961
Email: .

You can get a copy of the approved service plan from the Jefferson County web site http://co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/ctb_uploads/2010_resos_400-499/10_434ConiferwithExhibits.pdf . It is interesting reading.

The proponents are harping on the NO MILL INCREASE/NO NEW TAXES aspect but if you look at the 10 year financial plan in Exhibit D you see that of the $501,000 in income they are expecting in their first year $493,000 of that comes from PROPERTY TAX and SPECIAL OWNERSHIP TAX. So if the district is formed I would expect a mill levy election every six months or so for eternity or until it is passed.

How much will the mill levy be? On page 13 they say 2 mills but they “may adjust the number of mills at the time of the ballot election” so it could be more. They can also ask the voters to approve multi-year debt (page 15) if the taxes don’t bring in enough money for them.

They will also have the power of eminent domain (page 10). Do you really want another layer of government with the power to take your property for a park or access to one?

What do the citizens of Conifer get for their money? The first year financial plan doles out $344,000 for administrative expenses and only $86,500 for recreation. Another layer of top heavy government, just what we need!

The district organizers have already indebted the district for $70,000 in legal fees just to organize this election (page 17). I’m sorry but I just couldn’t trust a governmental organization that would go to that expense just to win an election.

Com'on BY you know they are all on the up and up. They said their would be no taxes(yea right), they said there would be no possible attempt at a takeover of Beaver Ranch(Conifer Community Park), no one is hiding anything dealing with the Conifer park and rec district. They have been lying from the beginning and thinking that the Conifer Community is full of unknowing and uncaring what happens community. They were out in left field. The Conifer Community is full of people that care about what happens in the community, and they know how to research things. So I am somewhat curious though as to how they will answer the items you stated above. They said no taxes, its in writing, they said no power of eminent domain , it is in writing. So who has been lying here. Looks like those doing this Friends of Conifer Park and Rec district has some explaining to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Mar 2011 14:22 #12 by LadyJazzer
Already mailed in my request for a mail-in ballot.... (And I'll vote the sucker down for the 5th time....)

What part of "NO", is it that they are having trouble with?

06 Mar 2011 19:16 #13 by Local_Historian
Must look, but if things go right, I'll be out of town when vote for this comes up, so I'm going to get a mail in ballot for myself and daughter, making that four votes in this household against.

07 Mar 2011 06:11 #14 by V_A
While I don't live in Jeffco & don't have a dog in this fight, I do wonder how / why this election is being handled outside of a normal election process i.e. not sending mail ballots to Jeffoc residents registered to vote via mail in.

Is this a county decision or rule OR was it set up this way by backers of the Rec district?

I agree the methods used by the backers seem fishy. The statements that this is just a vote to create a district, is loss leader. We all know if it passes they district will requiring funding for their plans. Where does a public district get funds? The public.

Jeffco residents, please vote this down.

Backers, if you want a rec district move back to a front range city.

07 Mar 2011 08:18 #15 by Slicky
Is there information out there (can you lead me to the information?), or can someone answer for me....

What are the boundaries of the "district"? Who will be taxed? All Jeffco Residents?

Can a Jeffco voter, who is NOT in the "district" vote in this election?

I assume (but we all know what that means) that I am not in the district, but I am a Jeffco resident. If I am allowed to vote on this matter, I will vote against.

07 Mar 2011 09:09 - 07 Mar 2011 11:52 #16 by Grady
Great line x_p
Backers, if you want a rec district move back to a front range city.

and Slinky there are some great links posted in this thread.

07 Mar 2011 09:42 #17 by Boneyard

Slicky wrote: Is there information out there (can you lead me to the information?), or can someone answer for me....

What are the boundaries of the "district"? Who will be taxed? All Jeffco Residents?

Can a Jeffco voter, who is NOT in the "district" vote in this election?

I assume (but we all know what that means) that I am not in the district, but I am a Jeffco resident. If I am allowed to vote on this matter, I will vote against.

You are only eligible to vote if you live in the district, own property in the district or pay taxes on property in the district. There is a map outlining the district in the service plan I gave a link to few posts ago.

07 Mar 2011 09:56 #18 by daisypusher
With all the hanky panky going on, I am concerned that if I request a mail in ballot, it will mysteriously not arrive or be received. Since a ballot theoretically has been sent, I will not be able to vote in person and my vote not be counted.

07 Mar 2011 10:05 #19 by LadyJazzer
I paid the extra $5 to request it by Registered Mail/Return-Receipt-Requested...I will send the completed ballot the same way. There's still no proof that they will count it...(and based on what I've seen so far of their underhanded methods, it wouldn't surprise me)...But at least I'll have proof that they received it.

07 Mar 2011 11:54 #20 by Grady

LadyJazzer wrote: I paid the extra $5 to request it by Registered Mail/Return-Receipt-Requested...I will send the completed ballot the same way. There's still no proof that they will count it...(and based on what I've seen so far of their underhanded methods, it wouldn't surprise me)...But at least I'll have proof that they received it.

Good Job LJ. :woo hoo:

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds