Update regarding the CommunityBound/My Mountain Town Dispute

28 Jan 2014 23:30 #221 by Blazer Bob
Thanks. Secured with what , assets of the business or personnel property. When I opened lines of credit for my business I had to stand behind them with personal assets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2014 07:10 #222 by homeagain

GreatGran wrote: BB We have our own network based primarily on people we have worked with in our previous/current franchises. As you may know the major ones are quite expensive and often times requires a limited partnership who may either be involved in the day to day, sometimes when the risk is higher because they don't have a long track record or alternatively only providing the financing. You go in as a secured creditor so that if it should go into bankruptcy you have a better chance of getting a return. Returns vary depending on the length, years of the contract and the amount invested. One of my great grandson's is investing in his first franchise and is younger but knows something about franchises and hard work. Nonetheless he will be assisted and reviewed closely the first 3 years as that is when most businesses fail and another great grand has moved into the investment side with his first $20k to invest.

In any event the return is much higher than loans through banks and playing the stock market. Thorough vetting greatly improves chances of survival in this challenging economy. We also prefer about age 30 or better as they have a history.

The BOLDED....THIS was the mistake that was made...from my POV.....SC was in error when
she omitted this step.....your post is succinct,to the point and factual.....had you created
such a post upon entering this thread and stated your concerns in a NEUTRAL manner, I do
NOT believe your comments would have created the caustic responses you have received.JMO

Just as a side note, I was ALSO criticized (VERY early on) for making negative comments
about this situation....(timeframe, late summer of last year)....so your comment regarding
your being "attacked" and your POV being disregarded do NOT hold water...JMO

29 Jan 2014 08:41 #223 by Venturer
Usually both depending on how much is going into the business. Thought I would also mention that in earlier years not unusual to take an equity in the business. But more often that also lends itself to liabilities in their business unless your contract is structured properly. Biggest cost initially for most pursuing this type of investment is getting the contracts written or reviewed by a competent attorney. If homework has been properly done, rarely is there any need for an attorney for other issues.

BlazerBob wrote: Thanks. Secured with what , assets of the business or personnel property. When I opened lines of credit for my business I had to stand behind them with personal assets.

29 Jan 2014 08:49 #224 by Venturer
Thanks HA for your comments. It was a test as to how others would respond to a different point of view, negative or otherwise and most importantly how SC would handle it. She let it drag on and on and then came in with her response finally as if he she were some angel and something about a constructive worthwhile site. Very late to the party. But oh well, you learn a lot about people this way. It works great in interviews. You get to see how a person handles conflict. When you get someone who turns it into a win/win for everyone you know you are one step closer to finding the right person to invest in. I think a lot of decisions were made by those who won't come on and give an opinion.

homeagain wrote: The BOLDED....THIS was the mistake that was made...from my POV.....SC was in error when
she omitted this step.....your post is succinct,to the point and factual.....had you created
such a post upon entering this thread and stated your concerns in a NEUTRAL manner, I do
NOT believe your comments would have created the caustic responses you have received.JMO

Just as a side note, I was ALSO criticized (VERY early on) for making negative comments
about this situation....(timeframe, late summer of last year)....so your comment regarding
your being "attacked" and your POV being disregarded do NOT hold water...JMO

29 Jan 2014 09:32 #225 by koobookie

ScienceChic wrote:

not interested wrote: GreatGran, would you kindly tell us where your place of business is (or your spouses) so we can bad mouth you to everyone up here?

Thanks.

Though I understand the reaction, my intent with this business is for it to be a place where we can constructively air our problems in order to find solutions that benefit us all, to bring this community together, individual, business, and nonprofit alike, share information, and support one another. No matter our differences, this site will not become a place to tear each other apart in petty fashion, and a person's business definitely should never be threatened for it. I've left the implied threats to mine because I do not wish to be accused of hiding anything just to protect myself; I know the truth as to the support I have in this community and I am always open to suggestions, advice, and criticism as I am not, and will never claim to be, perfect. Making mistakes and learning from them is how we grow and better ourselves.

I will state again that to claim to avoid businesses just because they choose to advertise here in order to grow their own business is cowardly misdirected. You have an issue with how I run my business, fine, take it out on me not anyone else. I have never, and will never, endorse boycotting a community business just because they advertise with a competitor, we all struggle enough as it is and my mission is to help the entire community.

GreatGran is welcome to her opinion, as is anyone, and everyone is welcome to discuss this topic here as they wish as this is a community forum, and no one should feel persecuted for sharing their thoughts. The title of this thread is as simply stated: an update on the dispute. No bashing is implied in that title whatsoever and it was posted, and remains, to inform everyone of what's going on and to allow discussion. I have no problem with discussion of it, or I wouldn't have put it up in the first place.

I got tired of GreatGran's continual criticism of your business and your behavior. I'm sure there are others here that share that feeling. It really upsets me when she says "I hope this business fails."

I do not intend to boycott her business, or her spouses business. My intent was to point out the hypocrisy of her behavior in calling you and your spouse "mean spirited" - and other vile slurs - while doing the same thing herself.

29 Jan 2014 10:41 #226 by ScienceChic
Thank you not interested, I understand, and I appreciate what you were trying to do too!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jan 2014 15:15 #227 by BuyersAgent
I think part of the problem is that many start-up businesses don't have enough investment capital to both make the investment, and also pay for a whole bunch of professional services, too. At the same time, I have seen many businesses set up with all the bells and whistles, only to be unable to make a buck at the business and end up paying more for the whole process than if they'd gone cheap. Who has a crystal ball on how many of these expenses will be justified by the income of the business, and the risks of a problem going forward?

Overall, the most important contracts to have looked over are with third parties -- but in Real Life, it's sometimes hard to anticipate just where problems might arise in future and thus where the legal, tax and business dollars should best be spent if there's not an unlimited number of them. In today's economy, who has that unlimited number? -- nobody I know.

There's also a Real Life risk that if somebody does have a contract reviewed and red-lined to the point the other side doesn't recognize it, the deal will fall. People starting up a business are usually geared to the GO! energy and they don't want to squash it at that point. With that same energy in gear, there's also a supposition that "whatever comes up" can be fixed. You know! -- like marriage. You may have that "nagging little voice" in the back of your head and some of your friends may have a weird look on their faces as you approach the altar -- BUT ...... lol we're all human, in other words.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

29 Jan 2014 21:44 #228 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

30 Jan 2014 12:23 #229 by BuyersAgent
Since many people "out there" in commerce have a win/lose mindset, it's important to be defensive enough to perceive this, without getting wrapped up in it. The win/win is the best result.

Now that I can just about (I think) see the goalpost, it comes to me that there is no Right Answer to just about any question, just :BeerSalute in the knowing of that fact. Everybody needs to adjust their perspective just a little bit, then the pieces will nudge into place. :TD:

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

30 Jan 2014 13:14 #230 by deltamrey
Cathy: in a sentence: "I think part of the problem is that many start-up businesses don't have enough investment capital".......

Up here I see this all the time........frequently. Also few really have a plan or the skill set to make a business successful........but UNDERCAPITALIZATION is THE killer.........

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds