Hwy 285 Road Conditions

25 Nov 2019 16:43 #171 by MountainTownAlerts
View if Hwy 285 at the Richmond Hill merge: mymountaintown.com/weather-traffic

From Aimee Pless 5min ago:
285 at Richmond hill south bound totally backed up- very icy.

Stacie Marshall Bracknell Once you get passed that area southbound its fine

Betty Barnett 13 mins
Just back to Pine from 285/Santa Fe. Roads getting bad already. Snowing .. roads getting covered with snow quickly. My Jeep slid around a bit at Windy Point. Already an inch of snow in Pine.
Be careful, friends!

Shawn Clarke is at HIGH GLASS, Pine, CO. 12 mins
Don't know how 285 is, but coming down pretty heavy in Pine junction now. Already sticking to Mount Evans Blvd. This one might be for realzies.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Nov 2019 19:30 - 25 Nov 2019 19:40 #172 by MountainTownAlerts
Jenny White 6:43pm
1 hour 40 minutes from kingsoopers to Bailey! Finally...,Made it! Slow and steady and give yourself and the guy in front of you lots of room.

Anita Lizzi 6:47pm
53 minutes from Foxton Rd to the top of Richmond Hill. Haven't seen a single car slide or lose traction yet. Roads appear to have some slush and are mostly wet. Have watched multiple ppl trying to get their cars to slide and haven't been able to. ......This may be a new record.....

Kelly Gill 5:52pm
Several cars slid off the road on Kennedy Gulch already.

Art Mengel
People leaving 285 on Kennedy Gulch to avoid Richmond Hill are having a hard time getting up the 1st 1/2 mile of Kennedy Gulch. Good place to avoid

Edit to add: J Michael McGee
Multiple accidents coming up Shadow Mt past Warhawk.
Couple cars weren’t going fast enough up the hill to keep inertia and bad enough tires they couldn’t recover. They slid into guard rail and each other - traffic backing up trying to get around

David Poniatowski
Do NOT take Kennedy gulch. It's a disaster, first climb, up and down. Complete sheet of ice. AWD good tires, couldn't make it, slid backwards, turned around, thankfully made back down safely.

Dave Ebaugh
I tried too and turned around. Log Trail up to Richmond Hill paid off.

25 Nov 2019 19:48 - 25 Nov 2019 20:06 #173 by MountainTownAlerts
Side roads are terrible, according to multiple reports.

Jonny Mack
Stay off conifer mountain especially King’s valley drive they is about 12-14 cars off the road solid sheet of ice.

J Michael McGee
Multiple accidents coming up Shadow Mt past Warhawk.
Couple cars weren’t going fast enough up the hill to keep inertia and bad enough tires they couldn’t recover. They slid into guard rail and each other - traffic backing up trying to get around

Kathy Mastroianni
Don’t even try to take the back route up Kennedy Gulch Road to Kings Valley to avoid 285. Sheet of ice going down those hills and many cars off the road. I just had to backtrack and I’m back on 285 after two hours. Be safe everyone.

John Hughes
Conifer mountain road is a mess. Cars everywhere. Solid ice.

25 Nov 2019 21:07 #174 by MountainTownAlerts
Road report from Dave S: 4 hrs DIA to Kenosha pass. 285 ice covered and crawl/stop from conifer to Staunton Park; 25 mph after that. But: no cars off the road!

26 Nov 2019 08:07 #175 by MountainTownAlerts
Experiences this morning from the 285 Traveler Morrison, Conifer, Pine, Bailey areas Facebook Group:
Paige Lawrence 8:04am
126 from Buffalo Creek to PJ- snowpacked, one lane plowed from 550 to the bottom of Buffalo Creek; two lanes plowed the rest of the way to 285. Snowpacked but no issues in 4WD. More slick on 285 to the top of Crow Hill but not bad- exit by the fire station was icy. Ten minutes longer than usual. Just go slow if you have to be out.

Melody Reh 7:57am
Roads are sticky so only took 15 extra minutes from bailey to golden. 4x4 is a must though. Drive safe and thanks CDOT for working hard through this!

Jane Kenner Smith 7:29am
Drove from Bailey to High drive in Evergreen. The roads are not good, 73 had not been plowed for hours. I had to work, stay home if you can. Took twice as long as usually.

Katie Popp 7:23am
7:00am: Turkey creek and deer creek not plowed and deep snow. I met 2 plows on deer creek heading west so they might be good in a couple hours but right now it’s over a foot of snow, higher than my truck’s clearance. 285 isn’t bad.

Cam Guy 7:14am
Just came down the hill pine junction to Littleton. Took 1:15 min. Overall not horrible but poor visibility. Safe travels!

Marcus Henderson 7:03am
Just traveled from Lakewood to Aspen Park. Roads are one lane barely plowed and had very low visibility. If you don't have to drive stay home otherwise plan ahead drive slow and take your time.

Mike Butterfield 6:54am
Just drove from Elk Creek Road to Castle Pines it took just under 2 hours very tuff drive. Stay home if you can!

Clif Barrett 6:29am
43 is not to bad some plowed some not so much 285 snowpacked and windy at shaffers crossing 73 was pure pucker factor only one lane plowed so oncoming traffic was a challenge good thing I got new tires and a 4x4 good luck folks

Brianna Enderich 6:28am
Took my husband an hour and 15 minutes to get from Pine Junction to 470 and Lucent. No update on conditions, but that's about 25 minutes more than his normal drive time.

Jeremy Hatchett 6:17am
Just made from pine junction to Buckley airforce base.... took almost twice the time as normal but roads seemed to be just snow packed. It is the visibility that was bad. And have to watch out for the drivers trying to go 90

Velta Martinez 6:15am
Came from left HP at 2:30 am down 285N took 2 hours to get to downtown Denver. Roads are snow packed and slick. I drive a all wheel drive with good tires didn't have any issue. I have option to lock my car in awd average speed going downhill around 20 to 25 miles an hour no one was aggressive until you get down the mountain. You have trucks driving 50. 6th Avenue East was not plowed from. 70 to about Wadsworth.

26 Nov 2019 09:19 #176 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Hwy 285 Road Conditions
I posted this in the delays and closures tread. May get more views on this thread

denverpost.com 11/26/19

8:59 a.m. CDOT is asking motorists trying to drive west on I-70 between Denver and Idaho Springs to use U.S. 285 as an alternate route. A major rock slide has closed the interstate at At Exit 248 Beaver Brook, which is two miles east of Floyd Hill. The interstate will be closed for a lengthy period.

Be prepared for a significant increase in traffic on 285.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MountainTownAlerts

26 Nov 2019 09:23 #177 by bcsublime
Replied by bcsublime on topic Hwy 285 Road Conditions
Late to the party, left my house 6 miles back on park county road 43 at 6:30am. Roads were fine to Richmond hill. Conifer was bad, and it only got worse past windy point and into the canyon. Foothills got a lot of snow. Turned around at Indian Hills because I don't trust flat landers.

29 Nov 2019 13:05 - 29 Nov 2019 13:06 #178 by MountainTownAlerts
Thank you for the road conditions update ramage and bcsublime!

Today, thanks to the closure of I-70, Hwy 285 is getting all the detoured traffic. As of this time at 1pm, it is backed up southbound from the Richmond Hill merge back to the Conifer Towne Center (Safeway) and again around Pine Junction. Webcams: mymountaintown.com/weather-traffic
Attachments:

29 Nov 2019 14:42 #179 by MountainTownAlerts
For those traveling from Hwy 285 to I-70 via CO 9, it's bumper to bumper both directions now per Kaye Neames Willcockson:

2:22 pm, Saturday, November 29: Hwy 9 between Breckenridge and Fairplay is bumper to bumper, both directions.

It's also snowing there and Derek L. Gustafson just posted in the 285 Traveler group that there's an accident at MM 188 (between Fairplay and Como).
mymountaintown.com/weather-traffic/285-w...ferson-to-south-park
CO 9 approaching Hoosier Pass

Exit onto CO 9 in Fairplay
Attachments:

30 Nov 2019 10:31 #180 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Hwy 285 Road Conditions
Good thing they opened up I-70 again yesterday afternoon because the 285 detour was closed this morning from Grant to Fairplay due to winds, low visibility and blowing snow. They predict it will be closed most of the day.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds