BOUNTIFUL BASKETS FOOD CO-OP AT THE MOUNTAIN RESOURCE CENTER

16 Nov 2015 13:22 #1 by elkcreekgeek
Hello MMT folks! I am the Volunteer Site Coordinator for Bountiful Baskets, a food co-op that distributes produce and other goodies to participants every other Saturday at the Mountain Resource Center in Conifer. Many of you have already taken advantage of all that BB has to offer, but I figured I should officially introduce myself and this great program to MMT. So here we go! :)

If you're interested, please go to www.bountifulbaskets.org/ and read the New Participant Instructions and FAQ's (and go ahead and register if you want to get involved.) There is also a Facebook Group for our site, where new info is always posted, and you can find it here: www.facebook.com/groups/bbfcgroup/

Basically, once you're registered (obligation free), you can contribute every other Monday-Tuesday for fresh produce and various add-on items. Distribution takes place the following Saturday in the upper parking lot of the Mountain Resource Center at 11030 Kitty Dr, Conifer, CO 80433. We save money by pooling our resources, sourcing locally as possible, and operating on a strictly volunteer basis. Organic options are available. Conifer is currently an A week site. Our volunteer time is 11:30am and the pick-up window is from 12:30pm to 12:50pm....but the times do occasionally change as other sites get added and removed, so keep an eye on this thread, the FB Group, and your Emails.

Again, much more detailed on the website. but feel free to let me know if you have any questions. It really is a great co-op, and I have made many wonderful friends who volunteer by my side every other Saturday.

Today and tomorrow are actually our contribution days for this coming Saturday's distribution. We've kind of got a lot going on right now, so I'm just going to copy and paste my FB post:

"IMPORTANT REMINDER!! NEW TIME!! 11:30AM FOR VOLUNTEERS, 12:30PM FOR PICK-UP!!

Lots going on with Bountiful Baskets folks. First, we have a new time. The new volunteer time is 11:30am and the new pick-up window is between 12:30 and 12:50pm.

Second, Thanksgiving is coming up and there are many hungry and needy families up here in our community. We are lucky enough to have a distribution site, the Mountain Resource Center, that has a program and pantry designed to help these unfortunate people out with fresh fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods. If you can afford it, please consider contributing for an extra basket or add-on item to help out. Just fill out a donation form at distribution on Saturday (the more donations the MRC gets the more government grants they get) and us volunteers will take care of the rest. I would love to see the eyes of the incredible MRC staff as they walk into the pantry on Monday morning and see it filled to the brim with excellent BB goodies. :)

Third, go over to the new BB protein website and create an account. Sally and Tanya are looking to get chicken, bacon, ham, and more to us participants more frequently and easily. Obligation free, as always, and I will update as soon as Colorado protein distribution sites become available. The website is here: bountifulbasketsprotein.com/ It's new and there are still a few bugs. Just be patient and check back later if there are problems.

Okay, now for today's BB offerings. :)

Fuyu Persimmons - Approx 25 lb - product of USA
(Max 5)
$20.00 ea

Red Sensation Pears - Approx 22 lbs - Product of USA
(Max 5)
$20.00 ea

Navel Oranges - approx 36 lb case - Product of USA
(Max 5)
$18.75 ea

Thanksgiving Hostess Pack - Hoping for yams, green beans, rainbow carrots, yellow onions, cranberries, 5 lb of potatoes, granny
(Max 5)
$19.50 ea

Chili Pack - approx 4 lb Kidney Beans, chili powder, onions, jalapeno, garlic, tomatoes
(Max 5)
$12.00 ea

Tamale Pack - Premade Masa Approx 3 lb, Corn husks, Green chiles, Jalapenos, Dried Red Chiles, Tomatillos
(Max 5)
$14.00 ea

Herb Pack - Hoping for vanilla beans (10), garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, mint, sage, cinnamon (6), whole nutmeg.
(Max 5)
$14.00 ea

Hard White Wheat - 25 lb bag of wheatberries from Washington/Idaho
(Max 5)
$15.00 ea

4 loaves of herbal sandwich bread and 1 sourdough baguette - Great for stuffing, and turkey sandwiches!
(Max 5)
$10.00 ea

Dinner Rolls 5 dz - 20 Hawaiian rolls, 20 pretzel rolls, 20 multigrain rolls
(Max 5)
$10.00 ea

Artisan Sourdough Variety Pack -1 Country White, 1 Country Wheat , 1 Cranberry Orange, 1 Rosemary
(Max 5)
$10.00 ea

ORGANIC Original Sweet 9 Grain Bread - 5 loaves - Contains Wheat. Baked in a facility with nuts.
(Max 5)
$12.50 ea

And you can always upgrade to an organic basket for an extra $10. You have until tomorrow night at 11:00pm to contribute, but quantity is limited, so the sooner the better. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Have a great week and we'll see you on Saturday!! :)"

So, that's a pretty good sampling of the add-ons offered by BB. To be clear, those are items that you would contribute for in addition to your conventional or organic basket. It's produce, so it's seasonal of course, and you never know what may show up in your basket. I managed restaurant kitchens for 15 years and I've had fruits and vegetables from BB that I'd never heard of before. Again, please let me know if you have any questions (but please familiarize yourself with the website first.) Have a great day and I look forward to seeing some new MMT faces soon. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mountain-News-Events

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Nov 2015 22:17 - 16 Nov 2015 22:20 #2 by ScienceChic
Thank you So very much for this info elkcreekgeek, it is very much appreciated! The request for extra donations for MRC is especially wonderful.

I hope once my finances improve I can participate! In the meantime, we'll do our best to share this and hope that others find benefit in it and sign up to join you! Please do keep posting reminders for us.

:typaint:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: elkcreekgeek

20 Nov 2015 19:19 #3 by elkcreekgeek
IMPORTANT REMINDER!! NEW TIME!! 11:30AM FOR VOLUNTEERS, 12:30PM FOR PICK-UP!!

Hey everybody!! Hope you all got home safe and sound tonight...it's nasty out there! We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but temperatures will probably push us inside. For those who haven't experienced it, when we have to distribute from inside you can't choose your basket. The volunteers will give your basket (and add-ons) to each of you as you show up. It's easier for all, makes cleanup a snap, and gets you into your warm cars faster. :)

PLEASE keep an eye on your emails, and here, in case of a late truck tomorrow. Given current conditions, I'd give that about a 65% chance.

VOLUNTEERS! Please dress for the weather. Layers are your friend...and gloves. We will definitely need your help, so I'll be bringing some Starbucks coffee and hot chocolate for motivation. :)

Okay, we have 38 conventional baskets, 2 organic baskets, and 37 add-ons. Barring substitutions, we should be getting: Bananas, cranberries, cucumbers, kale, watermelon, green onions, oranges, papayas, persimmons, potatoes, squash, and tomatoes.

Volunteer time is 11:30am (I'll probably be there around 11:00am to put down salt...if the truck is on time) and pick-up time is 12:30pm. Please remember to bring a copy of your contribution confirmation and something to carry your produce home in...and some warm clothes. Have a safe and warm evening and we'll see you tomorrow!! :)

21 Nov 2015 14:22 #4 by elkcreekgeek
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: WOW!! One more time: WOOOOW!! What an incredibly wonderful bunch of folks we have as volunteers and participants at the Conifer Bountiful Baskets. Cold weather, snow on the ground, bad roads, a new time, indoor distribution, and we STILL managed to FILL the pantry at the Mountain Resource Center with wonderful produce and bread donations.. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! I am truly inspired by this community. Check out the pics:

All the donations ready to be sorted and stored:

Before:

After:

The produce fridge was filled with turkeys, so we filled the dairy fridge with kale, green beans, cucumbers, purple cauliflower, celery, etc.

What a wonderful day! You should all give yourselves a pat on the back. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

09 Dec 2015 14:56 #5 by elkcreekgeek
Time to vote to get Conifer on the protein delivery route:

woobox.com/y2x6mg

14 Dec 2015 13:41 #6 by elkcreekgeek
Happy Monday everyone!! Hope you're all enjoying the wintry weather. Lots going on again this week...tis the season. :) This will be the last distribution of 2015 and Conifer won't have another one until Jan. 16...so better stock up on fresh produce while you can!

The Holidays are upon us, and I was so inspired by the way you all came together and filled the MRC pantry for Thanksgiving. If you have the means, please help us again to get fresh and healthy foods on the plates of the needy in our community. Please consider contributing for an extra basket or add-on item to donate, fill out a donation form on Saturday, and the volunteers will take care of the rest. You are my heroes!

On to other news: We're working on getting protein back to Colorado. There's a voting website for our state...just click on the link, click on Conifer, scroll down and click submit. Chicken, ham, piggy packs...oh my! The site has been a little wonky, but keep trying and it should let you vote: woobox.com/y2x6mg

And don't to forget to sign up on the new protein website:
bountifulbasketsprotein.com/

Okay, now for this week's offerings:

Conventional Basket - 50% Fruit, 50% Vegetables and 100% healthy, delicious and fun In the conventional basket we focus our buying as follows: High Quality, Low Cost and As Local as Possible… So, how hard do we try? Pretty hard! Most bananas are from Central America or the Caribbean and are grown by a couple gargantuan conglomerate growers. We get all of our bananas from small farmers in central Mexico. This saves the co-op between $4 and $7 a box, keeps money with small farmers, and helps keep the carbon footprint small.

Organic Basket - 50% Fruit, 50% Vegetables and 100% healthy, delicious and fun. Just as cool as the Conventional Basket but 100% USDA Certified Organic Produce!

Tommy Atkins Mangoes - Approx 8 lbs - Product of Ecuador. These are my favorite mangoes for drying! We make mango strips, chunks, and fruit leather to keep us happy all winter long. A healthy and sweet snack for the drive to Grandma's house!

Red D'anjou Pears - Approx 22 lbs - Product of Washington. These beautiful, ruby-red pears are perfect to grace our holiday tables! Red D'anjou pears are soft and juicy with a sweet flavor. These are perfect poaching pears! Bring to ripeness on your countertop and then hold in the fridge. Or hold them in the fridge, and move to your counter when you want them to ripen.

Citrus Pack - Add 20+ pounds of extra fruit to your basket! A variety of citrus to delight your tastebuds. We love to make up mini-citrus packs as gifts for teachers, coaches, and neighbors! Or fill your home with amazing scents by slicing and putting in water on your cooktop any combination of: citrus, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, pine needles, and cranberries. Hoping for Satsuma Tangerine, Navel Orange, Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon.

Holiday Hostess Pack - Additions to round out your holiday feast! Supper sides and crudités, they're both here! There's even a family activity just waiting to happen - roasting and peeling chestnuts! Just remember to pierce the shell so they don't explode! Our family loves the smell and the taste of roasted chestnuts. Hoping for: Green Beans, Chestnuts, Cranberries, Pineapple, Grape Tomatoes, Yams, 5Lbs Russet Potatoes, Romaine, Radishes, Carrots, Parsley, Yellow Onion.

Kris Kringle Pack - In this pack, we have all the healthy edibles you need to celebrate or start a new, fun family tradition: one pound Mixed Nuts in shell, Oranges, Red apples, Golden apples, Red pears, Satsumas, Carrots. One of the traditions my mother's family still continues today is citrus, apples, and nuts in our Christmas stocking (and one or two small wrapped gifts - usually at least new toothbrushes!). And of course we can't forget the reindeer's carrot laid out on Christmas Eve alongside a treat for Kris Kringle!

Tamale Pack - Approx 3 lb of PreMade Masa, Corn husks, Green chiles, Jalapeno chiles, Dried red chiles, Tomatillos. In many places, Christmas means tamales! We cannot wait to put up red and green tamales in our freezers for Christmas. The time spent putting them together is just as much a family reunion as it is a cooking session!

Organic Coconut Oil with scent (less processed) - 1/2 gallon expeller pressed in a glass jar. Expeller pressed and organic, this delicious and healthy treat will thrill your family. Making popcorn with it is the BEST! One of my favorite wintertime uses for this coconut oil (besides stovetop popcorn!) (besides stovetop popcorn!) (besides stovetop popcorn!) is the care of chappedchappedchapped and cracked knuckles. Want to make your brownies extra special? Use Virgin Coconut Oil! The coconutty scent comes through and is delicious!

ORGANIC Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain - One gallon in a tin. This is high quality with a mild, lovely olive flavor. Great for cooking and salad dressings. For dressing use 1/3 amount EVOO, 1/3 water, 1/3 vinegar of choice (red wine or balsamic are my favorites), and a dash of salt & pepper, and onion & garlic powders; shake and serve. I just picked up a bag of pre-peeled garlic cloves to make garlic-infused olive oil for Christmas gifts - and to refill my own stock of garlic olive oil!

Bountiful Baskets Bread Items

With no artificial preservatives, critters want to eat this bread as much as we do! Refrigerate or freeze promptly. Bountiful Baskets breads freeze beautifully! If you're going to use them within a month, you can simply pop the loves into the freezer. Leave the outer packaging as well for an additional layer of protection. If you want to store them longer term, wrap snuggly with a plastic grocery sack or plastic wrap. When ready to use, thaw on the counter, but remember to open the bag for the first few hours and turn it over frequently to allow any moisture to escape and keep the bread from getting soggy. You can also use frozen bread directly from the freezer for sandwiches and they'll be thawed by lunch time.

Soft Chewy Ginger Cookies - 36 cookies, approx 3 lbs/box. We love ginger cookies during the holidays! And I don't mind a little help getting to all of the cookie exchanges without living in the kitchen during December. To give them extra holiday spirit, I whip up a simple frosting and let my children decorate to their heart's content - especially that cookie for Santa! A great treat with real ingredients and no garbage! Ingredients: Brown Sugar, Bread Flour, Cake Flour, Coconut Oil, Eggs, Apple Sauce, Molasses, Ginger Spice, Invert Sugar, Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder.

Rolls & Cinnamon Bread Combo Pack - 40 Rolls (half Hawaiian, half Whole Wheat) and one loaf of Cinnamon Bread. Freeze for use on your feast day or enjoy for Sunday dinner! My children love the rolls for kid-sized sandwiches and sliders. Cinammon Bread makes great breakfast toast and super-special French Toast and Bread Pudding. 20-pack Hawaiian Dinner Rolls ingredients: High Gluten Flour, Water, Pineapple, Sugar, Canola Oil, Eggs, Sweetened Coconut Flakes, Yeast, Salt, Natural Enzymes. 20-pack Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls ingredients: High Gluten Four, Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Canola Oil, Eggs, Sugar, Natural Wheat Enzymes, Salt, Vinegar. Cinnamon Bread ingredients: High Gluten Flour, Salt, Sugar, Yeast, Natural Enzymes, Egg, Water, Vinegar, Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Coconut Oil.

Lefse - Four approx 13" Lefse. Lefse is a traditional Norwegian flat bread made with potatoes and flour. Warm and make them sweet or savory! Spread with jam, cinnamon and sugar, nut butter and honey, or butter and brown sugar for a sweet treat. Or butter, sausages, ham and eggs, or mustard for a savory meal side. Ingredients: potato, wheat flour, heavy whipping cream, butter, sugar, salt, enzymes.

Artisan Sourdough Variety Pack - four loaves total: one Country White, one Country Wheat, one Cranberry Orange, and one Rosemary Sourdough. We had Cranberry Orange with turkey last Sunday, and paired the Rosemary Sourdough with homemade Chicken Noodle Soup on Wednesday. Delicious! These freeze and reheat beautifully in the oven. Defrost on the counter, bag closed. Once defrosted, mist lightly with water and place immediately in a 325 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Perfect with soups and stews! Plain Sourdough Ingredients: Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), water, Whole Wheat Flour, Rye Flour, Enzymes, Salt *Sourdough Nutritionals: Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on 2,000-calorie diet. Serv Size 1 ounce (1 g) %DV* Serv. per container 20 Calories 60 Calories from fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0% Sat. Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 130 mg 5% Total Carb 12g 4% Dietary Fiber 1g 4% Sugars 0g Protein 2g 4%. CONTAINS: WHEAT. VEGAN.

Organic Honey Whole Wheat Bread - Organic 100% Honey Whole Wheat Bread - 5 pack. Great for toast or peanut/almond butter and jelly sandwiches!Ingredients: Organic 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour, Water, Organic Honey, Organic Cultured Wheat Flour, Organic Vinegar, Sea Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes. Contains: Wheat *Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on 2,000-calorie diet. Serv Size 1 slice (25g) %DV* Servings per container 17-18 Calories 52 Calories from fat 0 Total Fat 0g 0% Sat. Fat 0 0 Trans Fat 0g 0% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 75mg 3% Total Carb 10g 4% Dietary Fiber 2g 8% Sugars 2g Protein 3g Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2% CONTAINS: WHEAT.

Another wonderful selection, but don't forget that quantities are limited. And with this being the last distribution for nearly a month, they may go quick. Contributions are open until tomorrow night at 10pm. Have a fantastic week and we'll see you on Saturday!! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

16 Dec 2015 18:53 #7 by elkcreekgeek
Great news everyone!! Looks like protein will be coming through Conifer on Tuesday at 3:00pm. I'll update when I have more info. Hoping contributions start tomorrow morning. :) Make sure you're signed up on the protein site:

And check out the FB protein Group:
www.facebook.com/BountifulBasketsProtein/?hc_location=ufi

17 Dec 2015 15:19 - 17 Dec 2015 15:24 #8 by elkcreekgeek
Woohoo!! The protein site is up! Conifer will be getting bacon, ham, and piggy packs (I'm drooling.) Distribution will take place on Tuesday, the 22nd at 3:00pm. If you can't make it at that time, please let us know by commenting on this post...I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out. This will be a drive-thru distribution, so you will just get in line in your vehicles on Kitty Dr. next to the Mountain Resource Center, show your printed or digital confirmation, and the volunteers will load the deliciousness into your vehicle. It does come frozen, so be prepared for that. I will put out a call for volunteers once I know how many cases we'll be distributing.

All you need to do is go to bountifulbasketsprotein.com/ , sign up with your usual credentials, make your contribution, and get ready for hog heaven! :) There's also an official protein page on FB here: www.facebook.com/BountifulBasketsProtein/?fref=ts

Okay, here's our options:

BACON!
12 Lb of Uncured Bacon in 1 Lb packages
Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sea Salt, Turbinado Sugar, Celery Powder
$60.00

HAM!
Antibiotic Hormone free whole spiral cut bone in hams Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sea Salt, Turbinado Sugar, Celery Powder
Actual price is $3.99 per lb, Weights vary between 12 lb and 20 lb. This is a deposit. When you receive your ham the weight will be recorded and you will be reimbursed or additional amounts will be collected as needed.
$80.00

PIGGY PACK!
Beeler's Pork is bringing us some amazing products! This combo weighs in at approximately 15.25 lb. Everything is just Mouth Watering!
2 pieces of 1/4 boneless hams
4 packages 1# hickory smoked bacon
1 package 12 oz Black Forest bacon - Black Forest Bacon - Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sea Salt, Turbinado Sugar, Black Strap Molasses, Apple Extract, Celery Powder. Serving Size 2 strips, Servings per container: 8 Calories: 70, Calories from Fat: 45, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 240 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 0 g, Protein: 5 g
1 package 12 oz Apple Wood Smoked Apple Cinnamon Bacon
1 package 12 oz Garlic Pepper Bacon
3 1# packages Bratwurst
2 12 oz packages of Big Dogs (hot dogs)
$80.00

Once again, I would like to ask everyone who has the means...please consider getting and giving a little extra something for the needy. From what I've heard, the Mountain Resource Center is not getting their usual corporate donations of turkeys this year. Sounds to me like there will be extra freezer space we could fill with Holiday Hams!! :) If anyone wants to go in on this, let me know.

If you have any questions, post here and they will be answered. I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday season and we'll see you soon! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mountain-News-Events

17 Dec 2015 15:56 #9 by Mountain-News-Events
Thank you for the information elkcreekgeek!

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

19 Dec 2015 08:27 #10 by elkcreekgeek
Good morning everyone! Shaping up to be a beautiful day. We may get to distribute outside today! :) We have 38 conventional, 5 organic, and 53 add-ons. Volunteer time is 11:30am and pick-up time is 12:30 to 12:50pm. Please remember to bring a copy of your contributions confirmation and something to carry your produce home in.

If you haven't already, head over to the protein website and get yourself some bacon, ham, and piggy packs. Contributions for protein end tonight at 10:00pm.

Have a great morning!! See you soon! :)

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds