Poll: Are you a smoker

18 Jun 2011 11:45 #51 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
How can anyone afford it anymore? They've gotten so expensive! If I was tempted to return to smoking, I'd surely go to good cigars instead. If it's gotta be a champagne budget, it might as well be champagne....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jun 2011 12:08 #52 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
I have to admit a certain admiration for people who can have a couple of smokes and then not smoke again for months. I have much too addictive personality to do that.

20 Jun 2011 06:24 #53 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
I AGREE with that TM...

Couldn't do it myself...

Reach a milestone Saturday the 16th, this is todays Jake - Free and Healing for Five Years, Five Months, Twenty Five Days and 56 Minutes, (2002 days), while extending my life expectancy 208 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 60061 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $11,424.93.

22 Jun 2011 12:29 #54 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Warning: the Brazil pictorial warnings are especially graphic and disturbing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... A_facebook
FDA Unveils Graphic New Warning Labels for Cigarettes
By Lauren F. Friedman | Jun 21, 2011

Today, things are different, to the point where the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has now released a series of graphic, often disgusting warnings that will soon adorn every pack of cigarettes sold in this country. Under the new rules , tobacco companies have until September 2012 to redesign their packaging so that each pack features one of the nine hard-to-miss warnings, which are much more direct than what Americans are used to and will take up more space on each box—50 percent of the front and the back. The new warnings skip the mention of any surgeons general and get right to the point, with text such as, "WARNING: Smoking can kill you," and "WARNING: Cigarettes cause cancer."

The accompanying images—which include a cancerous lip, a man smoking through a hole in his neck, and a stitched-up corpse—are difficult to ignore. (According the Washington Post, the FDA considered but ultimately rejected even more morbid imagery of corpses in coffins and morgues.)

Canada paved the way for warning labels with pictures back in 2000, and since then, they have been implemented in more than 30 countries . (Brazil's warnings are especially gruesome .) Several studies and government surveys have found that warning labels that use pictures are more difficult to ignore and more effective in educating consumers about the risks of smoking and in motivating smokers to quit.

In the summer of 1957, Surgeon General Leroy E. Burney wrote a cautious, ultimately historic statement that marked the U.S. Public Health Service's first warning of the link between smoking and cancer. But the real bombshell came in 1964, when a commission organized by the Kennedy administration—after prodding from the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association and other groups—completed its review of more than 7,000 studies. The commission's official report laid out the grim findings. The very next year, after not-so-successfully battling the tobacco lobby, Congress passed a law requiring a timid warning on the side panels of cigarettes packs (but not in ads)...But it was not until the Comprehensive Smoking Education Act of 1984 that Congress mandated the Surgeon General's Warnings that are so ubiquitous today and will themselves seem so toothless in just a few years.

Check out how many years passed between the official report documenting the findings after reviewing over 7,000 studies and a decent enough warning having to be legislated to be displayed on packages...if you'd like to find out more about what happened in those intervening years, and what the tobacco industry did to subvert mandates, read Naomi Oreskes' book, Merchants of Doubt - the things businesses have done at the expense of our health, being fully aware of the research but deliberately casting aspersions anyway to protect their bottom line, are staggering .

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Jun 2011 12:47 #55 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
Can we put REALLY fat people & WHAT human FAT looks like pictures on Twinkies, Ding-dongs, ALL candy & Ice Cream?
Scare tactics don't work, Raffer Madness, Just say No, Dare come to mind.

Get the hell out of our lifes, B*stards!

24 Jul 2011 02:53 #56 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
Things to think about if you're trying to conceive and having trouble or need to consider the increased risks due to smoking...

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011 ... etal-sperm
Why Your Sperm Hate Second-Hand Smoke
— By Jen Quraishi
| Tue Jul. 19, 2011

Over the past week, there's been a bunch of science stories about the dangers of smoking and second-hand smoke to babies and teens. I don't think this represents a bona-fide trend, but it is interesting all these reports came out so close together.

This study , conducted by Stanford University researchers, found that even small exposure to second-hand smoke damages the DNA in sperm cells, which could lead to reproductive difficulties. Surprisingly, the effects of heavy second-hand smoke inhalation could be just as bad as smoking itself to men's sperm. One fertility expert has recommended men stop smoking in the three months before trying to conceive.

Pregnant women, on the other hand, have been cautioned for some years not to smoke because it leads to premature or underweight babies. University College London found an even more compelling rationale: a new study that links birth defects like missing limbs, clubfoot, and cleft palate to maternal smoking. Another report , this one from Peking University in China, tied severe and fatal fetal conditions like spina bifida and anencephaly to second-hand smoke inhalation. Approximately 20% of women smoke during pregnancy, especially if they are poor or are teenagers.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jul 2011 10:11 #57 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I smoked for 7 years. Started in high school where it was mandatory growing up in the south (NC). Quit in 1980 after I bought a new RX7 ( could NOT afford it but I bought it anyway) and got my entire group of co-workers to do it with me. Only me and one of my bosses made it. Those were teh days when you could still smoke in the office and in public bathrooms, etc. People would 'sneak' to the bathroom, stand on the toilet seats, smoke and come back with an innocent look in their eye. BUT they stunk so we knew. I quit cold turkey, too.

24 Jul 2011 10:22 #58 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
Still smoking, and I know I should quit but I really enjoy it right now. I switched from Marlboro to Camel over the years, and now I'm smoking American Spirit tobacco. At least that way it's a little bit less filthy than the others because it's natural state tobacco. Doesn't have all the burn additives and whatnot. Still, human lungs weren't meant to have ANY type of smoke in them, within reason, just oxygen, so smoking anything can have its rough results. I say, life's too short to fret over what I can get cancer from, and I've seen people go their whole lives into their late eighties smoking and still haven't died directly from it. IMO, people way up on the ladder could say that potato chips and salsa cause cancer ya know? If I enjoy it, I do it, but just try and keep it in moderation. :wink:

24 Jul 2011 10:26 #59 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I know how addictive it is so I never lecture anyone. Even when my dad died from long, painful, awful death from lung cancer (and the toll it all took on my mom from caring for him), my sister still could not quit. I have never lectured her.

24 Jul 2011 11:02 #60 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
I quite about 6 months ago, since I have always been an on again, off again, smoker I figured it would be no big deal just to totally quit. At the time I quit I was smoking about 2 or 3 cigarettes a day......easy quit right? Not so much.....yeah I've quit, but not a day goes by that I don't want just one.....and I know I could have just one and not smoke tomorrow, but I'm sticking to the "never" again. What an amazingly addictive drug cigarettes are, even in small doses.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds