Poll: Are you a smoker

28 Dec 2011 15:00 #81 by Reverend Revelant

AspenValley wrote:

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

The Dude wrote: I am with you AspenValley.I quit cold turkey and the smell and even worse the second hand smell are the most foul odors ever. I have no urge to start smoking again what so ever.

Even if a doctor told you that you were terminally ill?

I don't see how being told you were dying would make something that disgusts you seem more appealing.

Ok... I agree with that part. If it really disgusts you, then no, I wouldn't think you would want to start again. But for me, I LOVED smoking... two... three packs a day... as many as I could fit in to my day. And I'm not in any way disgusted by it. I just know I'm better off without them, even though I like cigarettes soooooo much. But if I was dying... it would be a last bit of heaven on earth for me.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Dec 2011 15:09 #82 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Poll: Are you a smoker
Whatever floats your boat. But most smokers I know (current and former) don't really enjoy smoking at all, they just like the relief from nicotine cravings they get when they get that next cigarette. Once the cravings are gone, it's pretty hard to make a case for "enjoying" smoking for most people. They taste bad, smell bad, make you feel bad, burn holes in your clothing and belongings, and cost a fortune to boot.

28 Dec 2011 15:14 #83 by Reverend Revelant

AspenValley wrote: Whatever floats your boat. But most smokers I know (current and former) don't really enjoy smoking at all, they just like the relief from nicotine cravings they get when they get that next cigarette. Once the cravings are gone, it's pretty hard to make a case for "enjoying" smoking for most people. They taste bad, smell bad, make you feel bad, burn holes in your clothing and belongings, and cost a fortune to boot.

Well... you're just going to have to believe me... I enjoyed it... I would enjoy doing it again... nothing made me feel "bad." I stopped simply because I knew it was healthier for me... I got older and I was a little more concerned with my mortality. But you can't gauge my enjoyment just by the fact that you didn't enjoy smoking or you know others that didn't enjoy smoking. My statement was truthful, honest and simple... why are you trying to convince me that I should feel otherwise or that there is something wrong with my reaction?

28 Dec 2011 15:21 #84 by AspenValley
I repeat....whatever floats your boat.

Your experience is just not typical of others I have known.

You can feel any way you like about that.

28 Dec 2011 15:27 #85 by Reverend Revelant

AspenValley wrote: I repeat....whatever floats your boat.

Thank you... wanna smoke? :)

28 Dec 2011 15:38 #86 by AspenValley

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Thank you... wanna smoke? :)

No.

28 Dec 2011 15:53 #87 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Poll: Are you a smoker

It is more typical than you think AV.......The first time I quit smoking it was for 7 years.....and not a day went by that I couldn't have picked it up again in a heart beat.....I quit because I had kids at home, as soon as both were in school I started in again, just like I had never stopped. the second time I quit was for the same reasons GOP did, I needed to quit to be healthier, my husband quit too, actually a year before I did. We both have remarked at one time or another over the years that if we only had a few months to live, we would go back to smoking, because, yes, we both totally enjoyed it. Am I happier as a non-smoker than as a smoker.....don't know, that's like trying to decide if you like blue or green, both good, one not better than the other.

28 Dec 2011 15:58 #88 by Reverend Revelant

archer wrote:

It is more typical than you think AV.......The first time I quit smoking it was for 7 years.....and not a day went by that I couldn't have picked it up again in a heart beat.....I quit because I had kids at home, as soon as both were in school I started in again, just like I had never stopped. the second time I quit was for the same reasons GOP did, I needed to quit to be healthier, my husband quit too, actually a year before I did. We both have remarked at one time or another over the years that if we only had a few months to live, we would go back to smoking, because, yes, we both totally enjoyed it. Am I happier as a non-smoker than as a smoker.....don't know, that's like trying to decide if you like blue or green, both good, one not better than the other.

Other than the terminal illness... don't pick them up again. I wasn't trying to temp anyone... nor was I even trying to suggest that any ex-smoker consider my idea about smoking again. I was just giving an opinion from my perspective... on the flip side... I didn't think I could be the only ex-smoker who has thought this.

28 Dec 2011 16:01 #89 by AspenValley
I can certainly imagine that some people who have quit smoking might rather be smokers if they could do it without risk to their health, etc.

I'm just not one of them, and neither are people close to me. In fact, I take a rather mild view of it compared to people like my husband, who would rather have bamboo shoots stuck under his fingernails than be anywhere near a lit cigarette.

28 Dec 2011 16:34 #90 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Poll: Are you a smoker

AspenValley wrote: rather have bamboo shoots stuck under his fingernails than be anywhere near a lit cigarette.

I can relate... I feel the same way...but then I have never been a smoker... I never could think of a good enough reason to start.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds