A new Board? Any interest?

13 Jan 2013 14:23 #171 by homeagain

akilina wrote: Looking at the stats. Looks like the threads related to the issues of the boards is getting a lot of looks. I can picture a few at the other site laughing big time. The best part though is that it gets to be discussed which probably wouldn't happen at the other site. And there is even a chance at resolution.

OH there WAS a big blow-up a couple of years ago (and it WAS discussed because I was knee deep in the discussion/'calling out.....
it improved for awhile,HOWEVER, it's back to the same old excrement and I left (THEY would say I got banned,it's just a matter of
semantics because my post was a little late and got blocked).

TRULY, if you pull back and look at this site, it is STILL in it's infancy and is going thru "growing pains" or from a teenage perspective
the boundaries are being pushed and tested to see the outlying perimeters and just WHERE they end......YOU (collectively) are part of
the solution. JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2013 16:40 #172 by chickaree
Well, the worst offenders have declared that they prefer the status quo. It's a shame. I'm sorry Science Chic.

15 Jan 2013 19:02 #173 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A new Board? Any interest?

chickaree wrote: Well, the worst offenders have declared that they prefer the status quo. It's a shame. I'm sorry Science Chic.

There's a reason why shows like Jersey Shore are more popular than educational programming... why should this place be any different?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Jan 2013 19:07 #174 by The Boss
Replied by The Boss on topic A new Board? Any interest?

akilina wrote: Looking at the stats. Looks like the threads related to the issues of the boards is getting a lot of looks. I can picture a few at the other site laughing big time. The best part though is that it gets to be discussed which probably wouldn't happen at the other site. And there is even a chance at resolution.

That hope of resolution will get you nothing around here, people don't even really see the problem.

Are we really better off talking about something that does not really have a chance to change...or would we have been better off not being allowed to talk about it anyway.

The end result is the same, we have just wasted a lot of time talking about something that won't change. I just cannot believe that the consensus is that no enough people want to talk with respect as to even effectively use the two forums available and the admin does not even really seem to see the difference between the forums, except that I cannot write the word Fuck here, but I can make a human feel less than human with ease and have it readily accepted and encouraged.

I think I am just going to give you back what you want, when someone says something I disagree with, I am going to channel and the spirit of 285bound and try and make them feel less than human, that is what is cool and accepted around here. My style has not been well accepted and I am sorry, I will take it down to the average or lower.

16 Jan 2013 20:08 #175 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic A new Board? Any interest?

Mtn Gramma wrote:

Photo-fish wrote: What one person says in any single thread has a way of following them across the entire forum.
For example; when I see anyone using the term retard or any slanted form of it (libtard, conservitard, etc..) I tend to lose a lot of respect for that person and I find it hard to shake when I read later posts by this person no mater what part of the site they post in.

Photo-fish wrote: Just be respectful. What is so hard to understand about that?

I agree completely. Whether I agree with another poster or not, I read what they post. UNLESS they scream the same line over and over and over or use demeaning/derogatory forms. I don't bother reading their posts further across the board because I don't like swimming thru the swill to try and find the gems that might be contained therein.

Regarding being respectful, however, in all honesty, when it comes to VL, all bets are off. lol

You've been verbally abusing me for almost two years now Gramma- I was hoping it would stop one day, but its just getting worse.

16 Jan 2013 21:58 #176 by Mtn Gramma

Vice Lord wrote:

Mtn Gramma wrote:

Photo-fish wrote: What one person says in any single thread has a way of following them across the entire forum.
For example; when I see anyone using the term retard or any slanted form of it (libtard, conservitard, etc..) I tend to lose a lot of respect for that person and I find it hard to shake when I read later posts by this person no mater what part of the site they post in.

Photo-fish wrote: Just be respectful. What is so hard to understand about that?

I agree completely. Whether I agree with another poster or not, I read what they post. UNLESS they scream the same line over and over and over or use demeaning/derogatory forms. I don't bother reading their posts further across the board because I don't like swimming thru the swill to try and find the gems that might be contained therein.

Regarding being respectful, however, in all honesty, when it comes to VL, all bets are off. lol

You've been verbally abusing me for almost two years now Gramma- I was hoping it would stop one day, but its just getting worse.

Calling you on some of the stuff you post is not verbal abuse. And it only gets worse when you do. You can take off your "pity poor me" hat now - it's not becoming and no one is buying it.

16 Jan 2013 22:23 #177 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic A new Board? Any interest?

on that note wrote:

That hope of resolution will get you nothing around here, people don't even really see the problem.

Are we really better off talking about something that does not really have a chance to change...or would we have been better off not being allowed to talk about it anyway.

The end result is the same, we have just wasted a lot of time talking about something that won't change. I just cannot believe that the consensus is that no enough people want to talk with respect as to even effectively use the two forums available and the admin does not even really seem to see the difference between the forums, except that I cannot write the word f*** here, but I can make a human feel less than human with ease and have it readily accepted and encouraged.

I think I am just going to give you back what you want, when someone says something I disagree with, I am going to channel and the spirit of 285bound and try and make them feel less than human, that is what is cool and accepted around here. My style has not been well accepted and I am sorry, I will take it down to the average or lower.

those that prefer a respectful conversation have left. lookslike maybe 75 of the top 150 posters have hit the road. do appreciate seeing more moved to the ring. its a start.

16 Jan 2013 23:35 #178 by MountainRoadCrew
Some more posts were split out and merged with this thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.285bound.com/285forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25382&start=30 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25382&start=30<!-- l -->

17 Jan 2013 01:30 #179 by ScienceChic

frogger wrote: those that prefer a respectful conversation have left. lookslike maybe 75 of the top 150 posters have hit the road. do appreciate seeing more moved to the ring. its a start.

Really? Care to re-count that, or would you rather keep throwing out assumptions and generalizations based on your own anecdotal and defaming "evidence"?

File Attachment:

Feel free to keep going down the list of all 150 top posters and count who's actually left, never to return. What's your cut-off for how long they've been gone? A week? A month? A year?

Considering that some of those who have left could hardly be accused of "respectful conversation" themselves when they posted here, what is your criteria for deciding who "prefers respectful conversation"?

How do you know they aren't just busy with their lives (as I actually know a few personally are, and one that's moved out of state in that group), not that they've deliberately left because of how they were treated or felt about this forum and/or site?

If someone leaves and returns as an alternate nic, does that count as them really being gone? Do you know which ones have alternate nics so you can accurately count them frogger?

Do you know exactly how many have asked to be deactivated, and what their post count was before they were removed from this list so you can add them in if they would've been in the top 150 otherwise?

Do you know who still lurks but prefers not to post anymore, or does lurking count as "hitting the road"?

I will say this again, if you are basing your opinion of this entire business on this one forum then you are completely biased about what this business is about, what it provides, and how it is perceived by the rest of the community. Businesses are not leaving like you claim they are, and while I am sure that there are some that won't participate here, hearing it second-hand from a disgruntled member is hardly credible or reliable information to base an opinion on. Viewership is up based on Google analytics hard data, not subjective impressions, and people come and go all the time, it's the nature of forums and life. If you want it to improve, start with yourself. Post elsewhere on the site. Put irritating posters on Ignore/Foe, and if you refuse to and keep engaging them, then it's your own fault so think twice about how hypocritical it is to complain about how "nasty" this site is when you contribute to the problem. Calling other members out on their behavior doesn't work (see this thread for what does) , nor does harassing them for sources. If they don't want to provide sources, then their claims have little merit, and you can move right along - there's no need to bash them for it, you just don't have to be convinced by their arguments, simple as that. If you want your arguments to have more merit, provide sources (and be prepared to defend the quality of those sources), but you certainly aren't required to do so unless you directly quote from them - that's Fair Use Guidelines, not good debating technique...there's a difference.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Jan 2013 04:41 #180 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic A new Board? Any interest?
Was your post directed at me or your entire board. You can't fix a problem if you can't see what it really is. Maybe you should recount and ask yourself all the above questions instead of shooting the messenger. your link for what works just gives me this "You cannot edit posts in this forum."

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds