A new Board? Any interest?

17 Jan 2013 12:52 #201 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A new Board? Any interest?

Raees wrote: It's a friggin message board. Don't take it so seriously.

Well you seem to take comments made on this board pretty seriously don't you? Don't you think the country is seriously divided more than ever right now? None of us has the right to complain about our leaders fighting and calling each other names if we can't set an example for ourselves here. Aholes like Hannity and Maddow rage against their percieved enemies and we marvel at their hatred... yet "we" exempt ourselves from taking the higher ground. At some point it has to change and it will only happen from the bottom up. Just doing my best to not be part of the problem... you are free to resume as you wish, but I won't stop pointing out the problem.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2013 13:13 #202 by Nobody that matters

Raees wrote: It's a friggin message board. Don't take it so seriously.

:rofllol :rofllol :rofllol :rofllol :rofllol :rofllol

Thanks! A good laugh always brightens a dull day!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Jan 2013 13:26 #203 by chickaree
Yup, nothing is as much fun as discounting others feelings and opinions by claiming they lack a sense of humor. You can excuse almost any act of bad behavior with that one!

17 Jan 2013 13:39 #204 by archer
Replied by archer on topic A new Board? Any interest?

Rick wrote:

archer wrote:

frogger wrote: I missed where rick blamed one side or the other here. Was this assumption made because of what side of the fence he sits on? I failed to see ANY blame exclusively placed on the left for this situation on this board.

Maybe this quote from his post will refresh your memory

It's really the exact same thing we see from the WH and Congress... like when the president calls republicans "the enemy" or Biden refers to them as "terrorists"... it does nothing but widen the divide and generate pure hatred.

That sounds to me like the only comparison Rick sees for the vitriol here is to the left attacking the right.

No, those are just the two most powerful people running the country right now, the ones that said they would try to bridge the divide and be the most transparent ever. I think using our current leaders as examples of divisive language is more effective then going back to past presidents. Feel free to use examples of your own to help make my point... which was to illustrate how 'we" are no better than "they"... but "we" just don't want to admit it or change it. How about you archer, do you want your neighbors to change and be more respectful to each other or have you given up (or do you like the hate?)

Rick, I'll give you a serious answer, even if that was a rhetorical question. After years on message boards in this area, I get here exactly what I expect to get here. A couple years ago, due to medical issues, this board was essentially my only outlet, I spent hours every day on it......that's how I racked up such a huge post count. I hate going back and reading those posts. The person posting was not really me, but the reflection of the fear, anger and hate I harbored for an insidious disease. I will forever be grateful for this board, it got me through a very bad time. When I read other's posts that seem as bad as my posts were then, I often wonder what demons they are fighting in their real life that colors their posts. I come here now because it is still fun, entertaining, and engrossing. If I didn't like the give and take, the heated discussions, the limited moderation then I would go somewhere else....I kinda assume other posters feel the same way. Sure I would like to see fewer PERSONAL attacks, I try very hard not to go after the poster, but what they post. What shows up in print should be fair game, personal insults usually means you have lost the argument, whatever it was.

So, no.....I don't expect posters here to be more respectful of each others posts, but it would be nice if they were a little more respectful of each other. I'll stick around either way.

17 Jan 2013 17:08 #205 by IrvWeinstein
To the original title and subject of this thread......

Sure, it's been an unussually long time since another Spite board showed up on the 285 corridor. Remind me if I left any segments out of the normal cycle these "new Boards" normally take.....

-I/We've had it, we are starting a new message board (insert primary motivating reasons ie:too much moderation, bias, etc.)

-Look we started a new message board, 90% of the posting activity centered around either how great this new place is and how the other boards up here stink

- A few new people join and we start to pat ourselves on the back so hard we might break a rib or two gloating in our "success". Soon threads comparing our new board to everyone elses start up and speculation begins when our new MB will be top of the heep and when Pinecam will shut their doors.

- Miscreants, poorly behaved posters(LJ) and the mentally insane (VL)or those with no life begin to migrate to the board, they are late in venting how bad another board treated them and get support posts from others who were kicked off other boards for their caustic behavior.

- Things quiet down for a while, run of the mill posters and lurkers decrease visit frequency as activity becomes slow and stale.

- Activity picks up from the crowd that can't play well with others. Things become nasty as they celebrate their freedom in non-moderation. Any remaining normal people depart as do many of the have no lives due to the nasty atmosphere.

- Above activity increases, only a handful of combatants come back regularly at all hours to consume each other like canibals. Page views go up as lurkers/guests come by to watch the train wreck. A few posters try to calm things explaining treating each other decent, or should we ban or moderate...all too little too late.

-Final step is either one of two things.....Either someone exclaims how bad it is and starts another board to begin the whole cycle again, or.....the board eventually just dies, like....how many boards have up here ? Part of the fallout is some posters/lurkers/guests wise up and see the community message boards for the folly they are and never return to any of them....and share with friends how pitiful" they are. The bad actors show up on another board, celebrate non-moderation and then exhibit all the behavior that justifies moderation and wonder why the numbers of active posters are so few.

I think that mostly covers it but if I missed some steps feel free to add them. And just how many boards have come and gone up here ? Parkbull, DSV for most purposes, 285 freetalk, kathy's board, the one with the flag as a background, there were a couple others Wayne started that I no longer even remember that have come and gone long ago, I am probably forgetting a bunch.

17 Jan 2013 17:15 #206 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic A new Board? Any interest?
Shalom, and welcome to the board Irving

17 Jan 2013 21:53 #207 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A new Board? Any interest?

archer wrote:

Rick wrote:

archer wrote:

frogger wrote: I missed where rick blamed one side or the other here. Was this assumption made because of what side of the fence he sits on? I failed to see ANY blame exclusively placed on the left for this situation on this board.

Maybe this quote from his post will refresh your memory

It's really the exact same thing we see from the WH and Congress... like when the president calls republicans "the enemy" or Biden refers to them as "terrorists"... it does nothing but widen the divide and generate pure hatred.

That sounds to me like the only comparison Rick sees for the vitriol here is to the left attacking the right.

No, those are just the two most powerful people running the country right now, the ones that said they would try to bridge the divide and be the most transparent ever. I think using our current leaders as examples of divisive language is more effective then going back to past presidents. Feel free to use examples of your own to help make my point... which was to illustrate how 'we" are no better than "they"... but "we" just don't want to admit it or change it. How about you archer, do you want your neighbors to change and be more respectful to each other or have you given up (or do you like the hate?)

Rick, I'll give you a serious answer, even if that was a rhetorical question. After years on message boards in this area, I get here exactly what I expect to get here. A couple years ago, due to medical issues, this board was essentially my only outlet, I spent hours every day on it......that's how I racked up such a huge post count. I hate going back and reading those posts. The person posting was not really me, but the reflection of the fear, anger and hate I harbored for an insidious disease. I will forever be grateful for this board, it got me through a very bad time. When I read other's posts that seem as bad as my posts were then, I often wonder what demons they are fighting in their real life that colors their posts. I come here now because it is still fun, entertaining, and engrossing. If I didn't like the give and take, the heated discussions, the limited moderation then I would go somewhere else....I kinda assume other posters feel the same way. Sure I would like to see fewer PERSONAL attacks, I try very hard not to go after the poster, but what they post. What shows up in print should be fair game, personal insults usually means you have lost the argument, whatever it was.

So, no.....I don't expect posters here to be more respectful of each others posts, but it would be nice if they were a little more respectful of each other. I'll stick around either way.

And here is where we meet in full agreement archer. I too have been through hell with my cancers and heart attack... lucky to still be here. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking my past stress and anger caused my cancers and that anger continued through my treatments. I regret things I've said here and to my wife who had to live with my fear, frustration, and anger for two straight years. As I'm sure you know, cancer is a lonely place... you feel isolated and alone with the pain and the fear of what's to come. This place helped keep my mind focused on something else and it was a great place to vent.

I'm not going to try and change the tone of this place anymore... we are all free to be and say whatever we want here... the American way. I just don't want to be a hypocrite anymore and expect our elected leaders and people here to act better than I do. I've yet to see anything positive come from anger and hate so I'm going to do my part to expose it while also avoiding it myself. And who knows, maybe I'll help to start a trend... even if it's only one other person.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Jan 2013 09:08 #208 by ScienceChic

Rick wrote: And here is where we meet in full agreement archer. I too have been through hell with my cancers and heart attack... lucky to still be here. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking my past stress and anger caused my cancers and that anger continued through my treatments. I regret things I've said here and to my wife who had to live with my fear, frustration, and anger for two straight years. As I'm sure you know, cancer is a lonely place... you feel isolated and alone with the pain and the fear of what's to come. This place helped keep my mind focused on something else and it was a great place to vent.

I'm not going to try and change the tone of this place anymore... we are all free to be and say whatever we want here... the American way. I just don't want to be a hypocrite anymore and expect our elected leaders and people here to act better than I do. I've yet to see anything positive come from anger and hate so I'm going to do my part to expose it while also avoiding it myself. And who knows, maybe I'll help to start a trend... even if it's only one other person.

:like:

By the way, you all should go and pick up a copy of Colorado Serenity today! :Whistle :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Jan 2013 09:49 #209 by archer
Replied by archer on topic A new Board? Any interest?
What's in Serenity today SC? I can't get one here in AZ.

18 Jan 2013 10:02 #210 by ScienceChic
I'm heading up to Conifer shortly, I'll try to find it and copy the article to post here. Cliff Bowron of Conifer Kitchen Design, and a member of the Conifer Rotary Club and Conifer Area Chamber of Commerce, wrote an unsolicited article (he called me out of the blue 2-3 weeks ago to interview me for this) about 285Bound and the 285 Tourism Committee that I chair for the Chambers. He wouldn't let me read it before he submitted it so I have no idea what's actually in it, but I received an email from a nonprofit already this morning asking me for help promoting them. My hubby got an email from one of his former employees who had seen it too, which prompted him to ask me what I said about him (yikes, I don't remember!). :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds