A new Board? Any interest?

17 Jan 2013 06:52 #181 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A new Board? Any interest?
SC, it's just frustration that too often reaches a boiling point (for a few that care anyway). It's really the exact same thing we see from the WH and Congress... like when the president calls republicans "the enemy" or Biden refers to them as "terrorists"... it does nothing but widen the divide and generate pure hatred.

There's a few of us that, for some sick reason, want to change the climate from hate to civil debate. There are still enough people here on both sides who are informative or entertaining for me to stick around and keep trying. What's really telling to me is the "evolution" if you will, of the individual attitudes on this board. *Almost* everybody started out posting respectfully and were friendly toward each other... kinda like good neighbors should in a perfect world. But take a look at the before and after... even respectful people like PS started hurling insults and eventually started to fade out.

I and others think it's a good idea to push for some civility and rational debate even if others think it's a waste of time. I know it's like trying to bail water out of the ocean but maybe the tide will turn one day and some of us who were persistent will feel like we made a small difference. Isn't that how anything ever changes for the better... one person at at time? Imagine if we were all like the biggest haters on this board and nobody gave a shit... what would this site be like then? Why would anyone new bother to join the debates?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2013 07:07 #182 by Reverend Revelant

Post subject: Re: A new Board? Any interest?

No... no interest. Use ignore if you have a problem with someone. You may get lucky and they may do the same for you. Use "report post" if you need to (but carefully - I suspect SC will only put up with so much behind the scenes moderation before she goes ballistic and shuts this wonderful place down).

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Jan 2013 07:26 #183 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic A new Board? Any interest?

Rick wrote: SC, it's just frustration that too often reaches a boiling point (for a few that care anyway). It's really the exact same thing we see from the WH and Congress... like when the president calls republicans "the enemy" or Biden refers to them as "terrorists"... it does nothing but widen the divide and generate pure hatred.

There's a few of us that, for some sick reason, want to change the climate from hate to civil debate. There are still enough people here on both sides who are informative or entertaining for me to stick around and keep trying. What's really telling to me is the "evolution" if you will, of the individual attitudes on this board. *Almost* everybody started out posting respectfully and were friendly toward each other... kinda like good neighbors should in a perfect world. But take a look at the before and after... even respectful people like PS started hurling insults and eventually started to fade out.

I and others think it's a good idea to push for some civility and rational debate even if others think it's a waste of time. I know it's like trying to bail water out of the ocean but maybe the tide will turn one day and some of us who were persistent will feel like we made a small difference. Isn't that how anything ever changes for the better... one person at at time? Imagine if we were all like the biggest haters on this board and nobody gave a sh**... what would this site be like then? Why would anyone new bother to join the debates?

:like: :thumbsup: :yeahthat:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jan 2013 07:29 #184 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A new Board? Any interest?

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

Post subject: Re: A new Board? Any interest?

No... no interest. Use ignore if you have a problem with someone. You may get lucky and they may do the same for you. Use "report post" if you need to (but carefully - I suspect SC will only put up with so much behind the scenes moderation before she goes ballistic and shuts this wonderful place down).

What kind of post is worthy of "report post" in an unmoderated forum? Bigotry maybe? (only certains forms of course)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Jan 2013 07:41 #185 by homeagain

Rick wrote: SC, it's just frustration that too often reaches a boiling point (for a few that care anyway). It's really the exact same thing we see from the WH and Congress... like when the president calls republicans "the enemy" or Biden refers to them as "terrorists"... it does nothing but widen the divide and generate pure hatred.

I and others think it's a good idea to push for some civility and rational debate even if others think it's a waste of time. I know it's like trying to bail water out of the ocean but maybe the tide will turn one day and some of us who were persistent will feel like we made a small difference. Isn't that how anything ever changes for the better... one person at at time? Imagine if we were all like the biggest haters on this board and nobody gave a sh**... what would this site be like then? Why would anyone new bother to join the debates?

Because I have Just been at THIS EXACT JUNCTURE(1st bolded) on ANOTHER site.....I believe I can state with a good amount of
certainty it is NOT this site....it is the nature of the social media in general. The computer screen and the mouse CREATE a "cloak"
and civility becomes obsolete because you are NOT face to face with the poster. RABID responses are common when you attempt
a dialogue that is "heated"/controversial.(gun control,NRA, abortion,gay rights).

The 2nd BOLDED......I am NOT saying civility should be not be attempted.....I am saying you have a CHOICE, do not respond,put
ignore button to use OR allow the rabid responses be relegated to the RING (because that forum is available and specifically provided
for such an occasion)

If you want the integrity of the thread to remain, BUT wish to alleviate the b.s........The Ring is far more preferable than HACKING
A THREAD TO PIECES AND HEAVILY MODERATING POSTERS (Pinecam).

I believe THIS SITE is attempting to provide a VIABLE ALTERNATIVE to the above approach...... I might suggest you (collectively)
adopt a new nic,re-register at Pinecam and ATTEMPT something in the Study......(you will see just how QUICKLY it becomes the
same old b.s. that you are complaining about on this site)...I, for one, will NEVER adopt a new nic and re-register at that site,because the site treats posters badly and plays favorites(allowing some posters to continue their BS and admonishing others
for the same thing)

I will take this one step further....IF this site is pulled because people are ASSUMING it is better some place else,I believe you will
be sorely disappointed (JMO)

17 Jan 2013 07:48 #186 by Something the Dog Said
:dislike:

jf1acai wrote:

:like: :thumbsup: :yeahthat:

:dislike:

When you post as if it is only those on the left that are the problem, then your post is entirely bogus. The vitrol and hatred expressed by those on the right trigger responses in kind. If you expect to have credibility, then be credible. Otherwise your post is simply a joke.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

17 Jan 2013 07:52 #187 by Nobody that matters

Something the Dog Said wrote: The vitrol and hatred expressed by those on the right trigger responses in kind.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Did the right start this, or the left?

BTW, that's rhetorical... It started a long time ago on other boards and has carried over to this one. Nobody knows who threw the first punch, but everyone is going to make damn sure they throw the last one.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Jan 2013 07:55 #188 by Something the Dog Said
But to pretend that it only exists on one side destroys the credibility of those who post about it being a problem.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

17 Jan 2013 08:00 #189 by Nobody that matters

Something the Dog Said wrote: But to pretend that it only exists on one side destroys the credibility of those who post about it being a problem.

Yup, you're correct. Jerks abound on both sides of the fence.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Jan 2013 08:02 #190 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic A new Board? Any interest?
I missed where rick blamed one side or the other here. Was this assumption made because of what side of the fence he sits on? I failed to see ANY blame exclusively placed on the left for this situation on this board.

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds