Sequestration?

27 Feb 2013 11:43 #131 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Sequestration?

FredHayek wrote: CPO,
Don't you realize you are being played here? Sequester should have been an operation to let the military itself reduce spending. We should be saving billions with troops coming home from Afghanistan, but they chose to make it look as damaging as possible. 2 carrier groups in the Persian Gulf? Really? I can remember a couple decades ago when they debated even putting one carrier group in the Gulf because they are very vulnerable to attack there and don't have a lot of room to evade missiles

I dont believe I am being played at all. The military has tried on numerous occassions to cut spending. The biggest problem in this was not DOD, but Congress. When it effected thier terroritory, then they would vote it down. As for Afghanistan, just like Iraq, not all the troops are coming home either. Believe what you want, but not going to happen. We still have a large contingent of US Military in Kuwait. As for the 2 carriers in the gulf, the biggest problem with the Persian Gulf is not the gulf itself, it is getting in and out of it through the straits of Hormuz. Back in the days of one carrier, the carriers never really operated in the Gulf, we operated on Gonzo Station. Indian Ocean, and there was always a deployed carrier in the Med and one in the Western Pacific. I did the Gonzo Station tour on the USS JFK CV 67. Went through the suez canal to get there. The area back then was not as hostile as it is either.

So those that think we completely left when we pulled out of Iraq, think again. We just moved into Kuwait. There is approx 30 to 40 thousand troops there now. When and if we pull out of Afghanistan, we will still have troops there also. Will there be a decrease in funding, sure but not what a lot of folks think

See Fred, I keep in touch with some of the guys that worked for me while I was on active duty, most are now either the " Dark Side" (officers) or up in the senior enlisted ranks. So we talk all the time. I served from 76 to 96, so I saw alot of the changes from Zumie's Navy to the modern Navy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Feb 2013 11:52 #132 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Sequestration?
$$$$$ Sequestration E10 is the answer...........please get rid of the clerks and lawyers by the millions (magnitude is correct).

27 Feb 2013 12:02 #133 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Sequestration?
I realize part of this is Congress, one example, the Army doesn't want any more tanks, but the congressman in the district that builds tanks got more tank buys approved, and the congressman in the district that upgrades armor has made sure we keep retrofitting what we have. One of the reasons we are shipping them to Egypt free of charge.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Feb 2013 12:21 #134 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Sequestration?
OT,

Gonzo station. I was PacFlt so I spent a lot of time there. Some squid wrote a song, "Gonzo Station Blues" I think. Thought I had it on cassette but have no idea where to look. Anyone remember it and know where to get it? I tried google but scratched.

27 Feb 2013 13:14 #135 by Soulshiner
Replied by Soulshiner on topic Sequestration?
And now the GOP senators want to try and "trap" President Obama by giving him the power of the cuts instead of the bill doing it. It is a naked attempt to shift the blame for all of it to the President instead of the congress doing it's job.

It's funny how the GOP are still trying to playing political football instead of governing. Well, maybe not funny...

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

27 Feb 2013 13:28 #136 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic Sequestration?

Soulshiner wrote: And now the GOP senators want to try and "trap" President Obama by giving him the power of the cuts instead of the bill doing it. It is a naked attempt to shift the blame for all of it to the President instead of the congress doing it's job.

It's funny how the GOP are still trying to playing political football instead of governing. Well, maybe not funny...

Trap him??? By giving him power to make prudent decisions for the country? That is what all true leaders want. Both Reagan and Clinton would gladly take the reins...because they were leaders. Obama is a campaigner...he knows nothing of leadership.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

27 Feb 2013 13:36 #137 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Sequestration?
No, actually, I think both Reagan and Clinton would recognize a sucker-bet when they saw it, and wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole. On the other hand, neither Reagan or Clinton had to deal with a party full of suicide-jockeys who make it plain that they are more interested in bringing DOWN government instead of governing.

It's an apples and oranges comparison.

And why WOULD he take it?...If anything is a "absolute certainty" right now it is that the "Republican" brand is in the toilet...and sinking under the weight of a disaster of their own making... (And if anything is a SURE bet, they will do it again in 60-90 days...) At this point, I hope he just let's them jus' keep doin' what they're doin' .....

27 Feb 2013 13:46 #138 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Sequestration?

Blazer Bob wrote: OT,

Gonzo station. I was PacFlt so I spent a lot of time there. Some squid wrote a song, "Gonzo Station Blues" I think. Thought I had it on cassette but have no idea where to look. Anyone remember it and know where to get it? I tried google but scratched.

114 days underway and our first liberty port, Perth Australia

27 Feb 2013 13:50 #139 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Sequestration?
LOL, the Senate Repuplicans want to hand the reins to Obama and he balks. Obama is no Teddy Roosevelt.
"Um, um, I don't know anything about running a country...I am just a campaigner."
"Um, sorry, I have a tee time with Jay Z tomorrow so I can't run the nation."
"Oooh, I can't make these tough decisions, it might hurt my poll numbers, I just got them back over 50% again." :faint:
"Sorry, I can't take this on, Michele says we have parent teacher conferences next week and if I miss them she will kill me. Do you know how big she is?"
lol

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Feb 2013 13:57 #140 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Sequestration?
:Snooze

It's gonna be a looooong 4 years, ain't it?

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds