Boston Marathon Explosion(s)

17 Apr 2013 10:46 #101 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Boston Marathon Explosion(s)

Blazer Bob wrote:

Rick wrote: [I don't believe it's "the nature of humans". I believe it's the nature of some humans. Most of us can't imagine using violence to settle our disputes in real life unless our security or someone we care about is threatened. But there are those people from the lowest to the highest levels of power who have no issue with using terror and violence to achieve their goals. Unless those people can somehow be eliminated, there will aways be a need for war, for cops, and for personal protection.

I believe you are wrong. It is only the affluence of our society that breeds and nurtures such pollyannish thoughts.

You and I might be the only truly civilized men in Colorado and I am not too sure about you.

This is not an expression of my cynicism or caveman background. It is or used to be an acknowledgment of human nature.

I would refer you to "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding except the first page of a google search indicates there is more interest in cliff notes and cheating the professor that actually reading and contemplating the meaning of the book.

But if you'll recall, not all the boys were prone to violence, even when many turned to it.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2013 10:52 #102 by chickaree
People like to use the excuse that they are helpless in the face of biological urges. That is why they cheat, are fat, drink to excess, are violent or steal. I don't buy it. People that indulge in these vices are morally weak. Don't hand me your lame excuses, I'm not buying them.

17 Apr 2013 10:59 #103 by FredHayek

chickaree wrote: People like to use the excuse that they are helpless in the face of biological urges. That is why they cheat, are fat, drink to excess, are violent or steal. I don't buy it. People that indulge in these vices are morally weak. Don't hand me your lame excuses, I'm not buying them.

Or just have stronger urges in some areas? I had no trouble at all giving up smoking but some other vices are very hard to shake. Just like some people are much more prone to anger than others? Does it make them morally weak?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Apr 2013 11:02 #104 by chickaree

FredHayek wrote:

chickaree wrote: People like to use the excuse that they are helpless in the face of biological urges. That is why they cheat, are fat, drink to excess, are violent or steal. I don't buy it. People that indulge in these vices are morally weak. Don't hand me your lame excuses, I'm not buying them.

Or just have stronger urges in some areas? I had no trouble at all giving up smoking but some other vices are very hard to shake. Just like some people are much more prone to anger than others? Does it make them morally weak?

If instead of trying to master them they throw up their hands and declare themselves helpless? Yes.

17 Apr 2013 11:12 #105 by Reverend Revelant

But that is not the question at hand... you said...

I don't believe war or violence is a necessity at all. It is an artifact of our past that we are well able to release when we are ready. We are not slaves to our baser selves. We can choose.

What do you do with people that choose violence?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Apr 2013 11:13 #106 by homeagain
NOT a neurosurgeon here, BUT, it is my understanding that the chemistry of the brain (how it is wired or NOT wired) is the primary
reason for behavior. The studies are JUST NOW examining how the brain can be programmed more efficiently to eliminate behavior
problems.....(Implemented WISELY, it will aid humanity by leaps and bounds, used UNwisely it is a SF horror story.......but isn't that
with EVERYTHING? (i.e. nuclear energy)......JMO

17 Apr 2013 11:22 #107 by chickaree

The Liberals GOP Twin wrote:

I don't believe war or violence is a necessity at all. It is an artifact of our past that we are well able to release when we are ready. We are not slaves to our baser selves. We can choose.

I would advocate life imprisonment. Jesus teaches us against violence, so I am pro-life in all instances including capital punishment. Sometimes, like in the case of the Newtown shootings or this bombing my heart becomes wrathful and I wish to see the perpetrators dead; but it is not my place to punish. It is my job and the job of all of us to protect innocents from those who would victimize.

17 Apr 2013 11:32 #108 by FredHayek
Boston Globe & CNN, dark skinned suspect identified, 3PM MDT press conference.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Apr 2013 11:51 #109 by Reverend Revelant

chickaree wrote:

I would advocate life imprisonment. Jesus teaches us against violence, so I am pro-life in all instances including capital punishment. Sometimes, like in the case of the Newtown shootings or this bombing my heart becomes wrathful and I wish to see the perpetrators dead; but it is not my place to punish. It is my job and the job of all of us to protect innocents from those who would victimize.

How about when a country (or at least their military) chooses violence... such as Nazi Germany... arrest them all and life imprisonment... or stop them forcefully?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

17 Apr 2013 12:04 #110 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Boston Marathon Explosion(s)

chickaree wrote:

How about when a country (or at least their military) chooses violence... such as Nazi Germany... arrest them all and life imprisonment... or stop them forcefully?

We need to arrest and imprison Kim Jung Un asap. (and all the wackos in Iran, Egypt, Syria....)

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds