Russia might invade Ukraine if Obama wins

01 Mar 2014 11:24 #31 by FredHayek
Archer when you carry a big stick you seldom have to actually use it. But if the rest of the world knows Obama will never use his big stick they will walk all over us. Maybe get Ukraine to ask us to attack "hooligans" attempting to seize the airports and we send in a couple cruise missiles at Russian armour.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2014 11:26 #32 by Mtn Gramma
Unless and until Ukraine asks us to intervene we need to mind our own business. And Obama needs to quit issuing idle, empty threats.

01 Mar 2014 11:42 #33 by Reverend Revelant
And a blast from the past...

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, in greeting Sergey V. Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, presented him with a red plastic button emblazoned with the English word “reset” and the Russian word “peregruzka.”

The gift was a play on Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s call in Munich last month for the two countries to “press the reset button” on their relationship.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word,” Mrs. Clinton said, handing the button to Mr. Lavrov. “Do you think we got it?”

“You got it wrong,” he replied, explaining that the Americans had come up with the Russian word for overcharged.

“We won’t let you do that to us,” she said quickly, with a full-throated laugh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/07/world ... .html?_r=0

How well has that worked out for our ex-SOS and future presidential candidate?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

01 Mar 2014 11:44 #34 by Reverend Revelant
And in other news, in light of the recent developments in the Ukraine, SOS Kerry has asked for asylum in Vietnam.

01 Mar 2014 12:58 #35 by Blazer Bob
"Ukraine crisis: Crimea leader appeals to Putin for help"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26397323

01 Mar 2014 14:44 #36 by Rick

archer wrote:

Rick wrote:

archer wrote: Well there ya go, a chess player as expert on foreign affairs. Can't argue against that. Personally I think Obama is doing exactly what is best in this situation right now, hold back, make known what our opinion is of Putin's actions, let the Ukrainians decide what they want to do and wait till they either ask for assistance from the world community or work on a solution with Russia. Saber rattling by the US is counter productive. Putin is a bully, and he rules with the bully mentality..... It's obvious the Republicans admire him, which I find rather disconcerting. The USA does not need a bully for a president, yet that sounds like what some Republicans are looking for.... Chris Christie comes to mind.

Oh really archer? No "saber rattling"? What does it mean when Obama says not to do something or "there will be consequences"? Obama wants it both ways... he wants to talk tough about consequences, but like Syria, he will just lay down and let his red lines get washed away. None of those leaders fear his "consequences" and his saber may as well be a French baguette, that would be just as threatening. If he want to be a bystander in these conflicts, that's fine, but he shouldn't be making empty threats of consequences which we all know he'll never back up.

Which doesn't answer the question of what you want the US to do.

I'd like the US to not talk tough and make red lines, knowing full well that "consequences" are just like farts in the wind. If we're going to stay out of it, we need to talk like we're going to stay out of it. One of my best friends in high school had a big bark, but when he was actually confronted, he always ran (and occasionally got caught and beat up).

Speak softly and carry a big stick, don't talk tough and carry a limp stick. People like Putiin and the leaders of the ME DO NOT respect weakness and empty threats.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

01 Mar 2014 16:05 #37 by archer
I haven't heard Obama draw a red line on Ukraine, and yes, he has done that in the past and it was a mistake. There will be consequences for Russia, I think that is a fair assessment, but no threats, empty or otherwise, have been made by Obama unless I missed them. It has been suggested that the US and other allies will not attend the summit scheduled this summer in Russia, there are sanctions and economic pressures that can be brought to bear, but for now I think Obama is doing the right thing in this particular situation,

01 Mar 2014 16:26 #38 by HEARTLESS
Since playing golf and doing nothing more than flapping his gums is what he does, he is right in his element.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

01 Mar 2014 17:17 #39 by Reverend Revelant

archer wrote: I haven't heard Obama draw a red line on Ukraine, and yes, he has done that in the past and it was a mistake. There will be consequences for Russia, I think that is a fair assessment, but no threats, empty or otherwise, have been made by Obama unless I missed them. It has been suggested that the US and other allies will not attend the summit scheduled this summer in Russia, there are sanctions and economic pressures that can be brought to bear, but for now I think Obama is doing the right thing in this particular situation,

Obama also called Russia's actions a "violation of international law" and said they will lead to "greater political and economic isolation," according to the readout of the conversation from the White House Office of the Press Secretary.

Obama warned Russia on Friday that "there will be costs" for any military maneuvers that Russian undertook in Ukraine.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03 ... ine-moves/

He's not doing anything but throwing out empty threats.

And Putin knows they are that's why he has gone right along doing what he has done. There are troops, tanks, helicopters, 3 airports seized, air space closed, media shut down, Russian flags flying over the Crimean regional seat of government.

Obviously you've missed all of this.

01 Mar 2014 17:59 #40 by archer
What part of what Obama said is a red line? None. What part of what Obama said isn't true? Of course there will be some consequences to their actions, Putin knows that. The world knows that. Putin doesn't care and never has no matter who is president. Even saint Reagan wouldn't send American troops into Russia. All this frothing at the mouth over Obama's perceived weakness by some conservatives doesn't change the facts.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds