Russia might invade Ukraine if Obama wins

02 Mar 2014 10:27 #71 by Photo-fish

archer wrote: You all keep dancing around the question. What do we do right now?

More dancing Archer.

Answer: It doesn't matter what we do.I will not be good enough or will be the wrong thing altogether for most of the posters on this thread.

WTF are the European nations gonna do about it? That's what I'd like to know.
It's their back yard, how 'bout we let them stick their necks out on this one (for a change).

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Mar 2014 10:28 #72 by Venturer
I would hazard the latter is what Obama meant as he has proven over and over again he can do whatever he wants. Plenty of proof of that.

ScienceChic wrote:

Rick wrote: Here's a good game, read this and give your own personal interpretation, you too SC... been missin your insight lately (seriously I have) :Angel:

Mr Medvedev, who steps down in May, said he would pass on Mr Obama's message to his successor Vladimir Putin, according to an audio recording of comments the two leaders made during a meeting in Seoul, South Korea.

Mr Obama says: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defence, this, this can be solved but it's important for him to give me space."

Mr Medvedev replies: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you …"

Mr Obama retorts: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barac...-after-election.html

Without having access to more evidence as to what Obama has actually done since the Nov 2012 elections, I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether it's an innocent remark regarding the fact that election season is grueling and time-consuming and he merely didn't have time to deal with the issue that wasn't a critical priority then, or that he meant something more sinister such as he doesn't have to listen to the public anymore because he won't face another election and having to appeal to voters so he can do what he damn well wants.

02 Mar 2014 10:32 #73 by Reverend Revelant

archer wrote: I didn't say they admired what Putin is doing in Ukraine, though it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Read through this and other threads that mention Putin, he is described as strong, a real leader, etc. The admiration is evident.

That's not admiration. That's straight fact.

And you misspelled Candy Land.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

02 Mar 2014 10:52 - 02 Mar 2014 10:54 #74 by Photo-fish

archer wrote: I didn't say they admired what Putin is doing in Ukraine, though it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Read through this and other threads that mention Putin, he is described as strong, a real leader, etc. The admiration is evident.

Bingo!
The ultra right seem to be jealous of Russia for having a corrupt ruthless psychopath in office. Why can't WE have a corrupt ruthless psychopath of our own? Why can't we simply proclaim that being gay is a crime like Russia did, Why can't we imprison girl groups for 'insulting the nation' like Russia did? We're missing out on all the fun!

Bush saw into Putin's soul, saw he was a good man. What happened there?

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

02 Mar 2014 10:53 #75 by Reverend Revelant

And I'm still looking for links to these conservatives that admire Putin in any sort of way. You claimed it now prove it.

ad·mi·ra·tion
ˌadməˈrāSHən/Submit
noun
respect and warm approval.

Show me conservatives that approve of what Putin is doing?

Bet you can't back up your own statement.

"though it wouldn't surprise me if they do" isn't proof of anything but your own twisted logic.

I'm waiting for you to show me all this approval.

02 Mar 2014 11:13 #76 by pineinthegrass
It's interesting reading Garry Kasparov's (former chess champion and chairman of the Human Rights Foundation) latest tweets. This portion began with him guessing what wording Obama would use in his upcoming comments on the Ukraine...

"Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63 · Feb 28
Obama to speak on Ukraine in a few minutes. Will he be concerned, deeply concerned, or gravely concerned?"

Obama's comments:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Then he tweets:

Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63 · Feb 28
"Deeply" wins. Ukraine loses. Takes no questions. RT @scottcrawford: Damn it! I had money on "gravely concerned" and not "deeply concerned".

Obama refused to call it an invasion by Russia or say what action US would support to defend Ukrainian integrity. Leading from behind.

Asking me "what would YOU do?" is fine, but the point is this is results of years of weakness, not an isolated moment or one decision.

Most relevantly and recently, backing down from promise to act with force vs Assad in Syria. Dictators watched, Putin watched.

Obama's Syrian "red line" debacle led directly to these events in Ukraine. Dictators like Putin don't ask why use power. They ask why not.

Obama's statement, like all of his statements, provided no "why not" for Putin (Khamenei, Maduro, et al). They only care about power.

Sochi ended a week ago. But the new Russian Crimea will be a nice spot for the Olympic Games! I'm sure the IOC will have no objections.

WHAT?! MT @stephenfhayes: Admin tell CNN's this is an "uncontested arrival" not necessarily "an invasion" & that this distinction is "key."

US calls Crimea "uncontested arrival", not invasion. Obama will win semantic fights in the air while Putin wins with troops on the ground.

Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63 · 20h
So what are Obama & EU calling Putin's invasion of Ukraine today? I am adding many new diplomatic euphemisms to my English vocabulary!

Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63 · 20h
You don't think China is watching? Maduro in Venezuela? Khamenei in Iran? Even if you don't care about Crimea, it is much bigger than that.

Garry Kasparov ‏@Kasparov63 · 17h
"Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a vegetarian." - H. Broun. Georgia, Crimea...

No, US/EU doesn't have to "bomb everybody." Putin doesn't want & can't afford war. Resource providers need buyers as much as vice-versa.

This is a fallacy, that Putin has all power because of oil & gas. His survival depends on sale of these things. Buyer has leverage too!

That's why Putin's biggest worry these days isn't weak statements from UN or Obama. It's fracking. Or new tech for shipping natural gas.

Better late than never? MT @JimAcostaCNN: Kerry: US "condemns the Russian Federation's invasion and occupation of Ukrainian territory"

This is why innovation in energy tech is a stragetic weapon for human rights. No more oil/gas dictators, petro-states. Tesla vs Putin!

Idea EU is hostage to pipelines from Russia via Ukraine is stupid. They go both ways! Putin is also hostage. Can't easily sell elsewhere.

EU would pay higher prices for a while. But for Putin, big drop in revenue would mean revolt & his 'Yanukovych moment'. But likely violence.

02 Mar 2014 11:16 #77 by otisptoadwater

Photo-fish wrote:

Bingo!
The ultra right seem to be jealous of Russia for having a corrupt ruthless psychopath in office. Why can't WE have a corrupt ruthless psychopath of our own? Why can't we simply proclaim that being gay is a crime like Russia did, Why can't we imprison girl groups for 'insulting the nation' like Russia did? We're missing out on all the fun!

Bush saw into Putin's soul, saw he was a good man. What happened there?

Really? A couple of conservatives point out the 800 pound gorilla in the room and that automatically makes them "big fans and devotees" of Vladamir Putin?! I guess when anyone makes any anti-Obama remark it skews the Liberal's ability to be objective; Putin is a better leader than Obama and that's not a good thing for the citizens of the United States.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

02 Mar 2014 11:30 #78 by Photo-fish
What would Romney do???
Answer: Same.

02 Mar 2014 11:51 #79 by Reverend Revelant
I'm still waiting for Archer's links to conservatives who are giving respect and warm approval to Putin?

02 Mar 2014 11:54 #80 by otisptoadwater

Photo-fish wrote: What would Romney do???
Answer: Same.

Talk about deflection, you're moving around the facts faster than a fart in a hot skillet! We don't know what Romney would do because he wasn't elected; it doesn't matter because we can't do anything ab out what could have been, we're stuck with the facts in the here and now.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds