Who do you want in the Oval Office in 2017?

20 Jul 2016 15:25 - 20 Jul 2016 15:26 #11 by ramage
From the replies thus far, I score two votes for Trump, Blazer Bob and Ramage, one vote for Clinton, Something the Dog Said. Fred Hayek appears to favor the Republican alternative, Trump, as does Rick. Science Chick wants to continue to sit on the barbed wire fence, ouch!.
If I have misinterpreted anyone's remarks please correct me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2016 08:51 #12 by Rick

Something the Dog Said wrote:

I do not want the fingers from Trumps small hands anywhere near the symbolic nuclear button. He has promised to trash the Constitution to pursue his perceived enemies and to pursue his personal agendas.

You do realize there is no button he can push literally or figuratively without the approval \of congress, right? It isn't even something that would be believable in a movie script, let alone real life. North Korea or Iran maybe...

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Jul 2016 13:08 #13 by Something the Dog Said

Rick wrote:

I do not want the fingers from Trumps small hands anywhere near the symbolic nuclear button. He has promised to trash the Constitution to pursue his perceived enemies and to pursue his personal agendas.

You do realize there is no button he can push literally or figuratively without the approval \of congress, right? It isn't even something that would be believable in a movie script, let alone real life. North Korea or Iran maybe...

That is of course incorrect. President Truman engaged the US in military conflict for years in Korea without authorization of Congress. President Nixon continued to engage the US in military conflict for years in Vietnam after Congress repealed the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. Even under the questionable War Powers Act of 1973, Congress gave POTUS the right to engage US forces in military conflict as long as Congress is notified within 48 hours for up to 60 days without congressional authorization.

.Given the temperament of Trump, it is highly probable that he would take unilateral actions against those countries that "insult" him personally without regard of the consequences.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

22 Jul 2016 13:49 #14 by Linda D
I am for the Executive running--Trump. I like his style--he is certainly not like the rest of the politicians at all. He ran because he is as frustrated as we are at the terrible things happening to our government today. All that money being spent how???

22 Jul 2016 13:52 #15 by Rick

Rick wrote:

That is of course incorrect. President Truman engaged the US in military conflict for years in Korea without authorization of Congress. President Nixon continued to engage the US in military conflict for years in Vietnam after Congress repealed the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. Even under the questionable War Powers Act of 1973, Congress gave POTUS the right to engage US forces in military conflict as long as Congress is notified within 48 hours for up to 60 days without congressional authorization.

.Given the temperament of Trump, it is highly probable that he would take unilateral actions against those countries that "insult" him personally without regard of the consequences.

Do you have any idea what it takes to launch a nuke and aim it at another country? I realize Obama has set new precedents when it comes to executive power, but no president could singlehandedly launch nukes... I hope you're at least smart enough to know that.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Jul 2016 14:09 #16 by Something the Dog Said

Rick wrote:

Rick wrote:

Do you have any idea what it takes to launch a nuke and aim it at another country? I realize Obama has set new precedents when it comes to executive power, but no president could singlehandedly launch nukes... I hope you're at least smart enough to know that.

I

I am smart enough to know that the President does not need congressional authorization to do so. The President does need the additional authorization from the Secretary of Defense in order to authorize a nuclear attack under the Single Integrated Operational Plan as implemented by OPLAN 8010. The President and SOD solely constitute the National Command Authority which is vested with the decision making in regard to nuclear strikes. NO congressional approval is needed. Once POTUS and SOD decide to iniate a nuclear attack, they authorize the attack to the Joint Chiefs via the nuclear football briefcase. Really, the nuclear football briefcase. No requirement for congressional approval.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

22 Jul 2016 16:31 #17 by FredHayek
Trump and nukes? Going to dust off the Goldwater/LBJ ad? Please. That will not happen. BTW, Hillary Clinton talked President Obama into bombing Libya even though they had not attacked US interests.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Jul 2016 16:42 #18 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote: Trump and nukes? Going to dust off the Goldwater/LBJ ad? ......

No doubt. The left is coming to realize that Trump could win and are dark,VERY DARK. BWAHAHA.

23 Jul 2016 06:19 #19 by ThuenteDL
I want Trump. Not because he was my first, second, third, fourth or fifth preference, but because he is the only hope of preventing the Clintons from getting in the White House again. Someone who can look at the parents/ loved ones of four dead Americans over their caskets and tout a video was to blame, just to save Obamas narrative at re-election time has a soul so stained black that I pity our country if she is elected. Never Hilary!

23 Jul 2016 06:20 #20 by Arlen
Trump, without a doubt.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds