Who do you want in the Oval Office in 2017?

19 Jul 2016 12:40 #1 by ramage
This question is not asking for whom you will vote. Rather, in Nov 2016, either a continuation of Obama's policies or the Republican alternative, will be in the White House, a third party candidate is not a realistic choice. I am attempting to get a feeling for what the 285 Corridor denizens desire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jul 2016 13:37 #2 by FredHayek
I don't think it is that defined. Hillary I suspect will not be as left wing as President Obama. If she governs like Bill, she will work out comprehensive compromises with Republicans. Trump? I don't have a clue how he will govern. He says a lot of radical ideas, but I doubt he will have the political power to implement them. I believe the Republicans, Democrats, and the bureaucrats will fight him. So a bipartisan Hillary or a gridlocked DC? I choose gridlock.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Jul 2016 13:39 #3 by ScienceChic
Why is a third party candidate not a realistic choice? Given that the Dems and Reps have chosen what are probably the least-liked, least-respected, most polarizing candidates to represent their party for president, I think this election is the greatest chance that a 3rd party candidate has of beating both the shitty choices the majority parties have offered us.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who is elected president nearly as much as all of the Congressional offices up for grabs. I want to see as many incumbents voted out and as many independent/Unaffiliated/3rd party Congress critters elected as possible - it's past time to break the choke-hold monopoly that the Dems and Reps have enjoyed to the point of corruption. With a significant enough portion of Congress 3rd party, it would force more compromise and that would only be good for the American People.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain - #VoteOutAllIncumbents

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Jul 2016 15:25 #4 by ramage
Science Chic,
You ask why isn't a third party a realistic choice? The answer: they are not on the ballot. The Libertarian Party its on the ballot in only 36 states, which dies not include NY, Ohio, MN, ,etc. The green Party in on the ballot in only 22 states. Spot quiz: who is the Green Party candidate for the Presidency? Additionally they have no representation on the House of Representatives should the election reach that stage.
With regard to Congress and who has control; in 2008 the Democrats controlled both branches of Congress and also the Presidency, ergo Obamacare, etc. In 20110 the Republicans controlled both branches of Congress and the Democrats, the White House, ergo Obama legislating by executive order, amnesty, anyone?
Now back to the question posed: who would you prefer in the Presidency?

19 Jul 2016 15:49 #5 by ScienceChic
And I find it abhorrent that the other party candidates are not listed on every state ballot nor that they are invited to the presidential debates. They are marginalized and it's wrong.

No need to ask me who the Green Party candidate is, I voted for her in the last election. ;)
Dr. Jill Stein Clinches Green Party Presidential Nomination
Town Hall Presidential Debate Tonight
The Party of Our Discontent? Interview W/Green Party Candidate
Cheri Honkala

And I still prefer her over Clinton or Trump. I am interested to see what other people have to say though!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Jul 2016 17:53 #6 by Blazer Bob
It is too bad someone did not have the horsepower and the foresight to see what an opportunity this election could have been for a third party.

Talking heads scoff at Perot and say he did not get a single electoral vote. True but if 1of 10 more d's and 1in 10 more r's would have voted for he he could easily been elected. Clinton won with 40 some %.

19 Jul 2016 18:27 #7 by ramage
To answer my own question, yes, I would rather have Donald Trump in the Oval Office rather that Hillary Clinton. I appreciate that many prefer sitting on the fence and talking about what could have, should have been. In that Trump has now been formally chosen as the Republican candidate for the Presidency and Clinton is the presumptive Democrat nominee that is what the choice will be. Granted there will be more names on the ballot and as always you can always write in you personal choice. However, the time comes when a choice has to be made so my question stands. "Who do you prefer in the Oval Office in 2017?"

19 Jul 2016 19:32 #8 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: And I find it abhorrent that the other party candidates are not listed on every state ballot nor that they are invited to the presidential debates. They are marginalized and it's wrong.

No need to ask me who the Green Party candidate is, I voted for her in the last election. ;)
Dr. Jill Stein Clinches Green Party Presidential Nomination
Town Hall Presidential Debate Tonight
The Party of Our Discontent? Interview W/Green Party Candidate
Cheri Honkala

And I still prefer her over Clinton or Trump. I am interested to see what other people have to say though!

I agree with you SC, it's sad and wrong that third and forth party candidates are marginalized and left out of the process in many states. It's all about money and those candidates have a very hard time accumulating any and are not woven into this POS system. I know with 99% certainty that no third party candidate will be elected given the obvious math problem.

That said, after much agonizing over the two horrible choices, I only have one option that will ensure this destruction progressive nightmare has at least a small chance of ending. I fear for this country as we have been more divided than ever under this president and Hillary has promised to continue the insanity. I know a president can only do so much damage in 4 years but a lopsided progressive liberal supreme court can do damage for a generation and I'm going to do my part to prevent that. I would have liked to see Rubio but it was not to be, he would have crushed the corrupt incompetent liar easily but instead we get the worst option and the only chance Hillary could hope for. I'm bracing for the next recession that is likely to follow when the beast is elected.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Jul 2016 19:36 #9 by Blazer Bob
Given the choices I am all in for Trump.I am very glad it is not a Hillary vs Jeb election. Then I might have written in Alfred E. Neuman.

media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/...-President-Brink.jpg

20 Jul 2016 09:52 #10 by Something the Dog Said
The problem with the existing third parties is that they are top down. In order for a third party to become viable, it must start at the bottom and build upwards with a strong grass root system in place. Third parties need to provide candidates at the most local level, show their platform there and develop a true base. Otherwise they are simply an ego driven vanity project. IMHO.

I do not want the fingers from Trumps small hands anywhere near the symbolic nuclear button. He has promised to trash the Constitution to pursue his perceived enemies and to pursue his personal agendas.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds