Impeachment proceedings against Trump

20 Feb 2018 18:30 #151 by Blazer Bob
On a lighter note, it appears that turkeys have learned how to use Russian propaganda. This is clearly aimed at hurting cows by increasing beef sales. I wonder if the cows will retaliate.

By Rob Barry | Graphics by Shane Shifflett
Published Feb. 20, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. ET
wsj.com

Alice Norton posted an emergency message on a cooking-website forum on Thanksgiving 2015: Her entire family had severe food poisoning after buying a turkey from Walmart.

“My son Robert got in the hospital and he’s still there,” wrote Ms. Norton, who had described herself as a 31-year-old New York City mother of two. “I don’t know what to do!”

Within hours, Twitter users repeated the claim thousands of times, and a news story was published saying 200 people were in critical condition after eating tainted turkey.

The catch? No outbreak of food poisoning matching this description occurred, according to New York City health officials. A Walmart Inc. spokesman said the company had spotted the posts but determined they were a hoax and didn’t investigate their origin further.

In fact, many of the claims came from accounts linked to a pro-Kremlin propaganda agency charged by Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office last week for meddling in U.S. politics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Feb 2018 08:43 #152 by FredHayek
Good post, it does appear before the Russian trolls were attempting to influence elections, they were still spreading fake news in order to cause chaos. Beware much of what you see on Twitter and Facebook, but do not be ashamed. Many outlets of the major media printed the story that the Florida high school shooter was a member of a white power organization, but this was easily disproven. I find that on breaking news stories, so much misinformation gets out before the facts can be established.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Feb 2018 09:07 #153 by driver8

FredHayek wrote: Good post, it does appear before the Russian trolls were attempting to influence elections, they were still spreading fake news in order to cause chaos. Beware much of what you see on Twitter and Facebook, but do not be ashamed. Many outlets of the major media printed the story that the Florida high school shooter was a member of a white power organization, but this was easily disproven. I find that on breaking news stories, so much misinformation gets out before the facts can be established.

Yea, I had to piss a few of my friends off by saying this is a false flag. I cought that right away. But to be honest... if you dug in a bit it WAS initiated by a member of this white supremacist org... trying to get some recognition... but it was started by just one organization who took the bait.

Let's also discuss the 'fake news' that they are going after the survivors of the MSDHS that are speaking out. Calling them 'crisis actors' since the found a video from a newstation in Ca interviewing him on the beach. He just moved to FL form Ca, but they made it sound as if he is 26 years old and gets paid to travel around to do this.

And, btw... to listen to dana loesche and la pierre, they are creating more discourse than the russians themselves.... It was quite sickening to listen to their rhetoric at cpac this morning. I had to turn it off.

22 Feb 2018 12:36 #154 by parkcobound
I think the democrats need to wait until all of the information is out before they start yelling impeach. and I will hang myself out there - I am a registered democrat, everyone in my family has been since they came over on the boat from Ireland100+ years ago - BUT I didn't vote for Hilary or our President and I think the impeachment movement, like many other things these days, are cage rattling and feet stomping. I would like to see our legislators take the time to get all of the facts - on ALL of these issues, before making statements and yelling about what needs to come next. Do I think Trump's people had help from the Russians? I have no idea - I certainly hope not. I do think many democrats want to believe that! and that I do not understand. I was taught to always look for the good in people first, and to hear both sides of the story before making a decision. To use good judgement and to be thoughtful of other people's view points. I am not going to say that I always do a wonderful job of that, but my grandmother reminded me often, it is not my place to judge other people. Everyone is entitled to their view point, we live in America. but just because you can yell louder does not make you right, and many of our legislators seem to have forgotten the simple truths of what America is supposed to be about! We are, in fact, a melting pot. many different kinds of people all working together to make this country work. Most of our elected officials seem like they spend all of their time making accusations and calling each other names, and belittling each other rather than trying to find some common ground upon which to sort out these problems and resolve them. that includes the Russian hacking among other things. I think there is a LOT of blame to go around about the hacking situation, and what I know is that blaming isn't going to fix the problem. Should someone be held accountable? yes, certainly, though I suspect it will be many someones - but the real issue is that we have another election coming up very quickly and personally I would like to think that all of our votes count, the way the framers of our country intended them to, and are not, in any way, swayed, altered, influenced or otherwise, by any other country. We need to be pressing our legislators to fix that problem FIRST and figure out how they did it, are doing it and how to stop them. In the mean time, the investigation into how this happened can continue and yes, the truth is important - regardless of what it is, that truth needs to be known.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

23 Feb 2018 10:07 #155 by Rick

parkcobound wrote: I think the democrats need to wait until all of the information is out before they start yelling impeach. and I will hang myself out there - I am a registered democrat, everyone in my family has been since they came over on the boat from Ireland100+ years ago - BUT I didn't vote for Hilary or our President and I think the impeachment movement, like many other things these days, are cage rattling and feet stomping. I would like to see our legislators take the time to get all of the facts - on ALL of these issues, before making statements and yelling about what needs to come next. Do I think Trump's people had help from the Russians? I have no idea - I certainly hope not. I do think many democrats want to believe that! and that I do not understand. I was taught to always look for the good in people first, and to hear both sides of the story before making a decision. To use good judgement and to be thoughtful of other people's view points. I am not going to say that I always do a wonderful job of that, but my grandmother reminded me often, it is not my place to judge other people. Everyone is entitled to their view point, we live in America. but just because you can yell louder does not make you right, and many of our legislators seem to have forgotten the simple truths of what America is supposed to be about! We are, in fact, a melting pot. many different kinds of people all working together to make this country work. Most of our elected officials seem like they spend all of their time making accusations and calling each other names, and belittling each other rather than trying to find some common ground upon which to sort out these problems and resolve them. that includes the Russian hacking among other things. I think there is a LOT of blame to go around about the hacking situation, and what I know is that blaming isn't going to fix the problem. Should someone be held accountable? yes, certainly, though I suspect it will be many someones - but the real issue is that we have another election coming up very quickly and personally I would like to think that all of our votes count, the way the framers of our country intended them to, and are not, in any way, swayed, altered, influenced or otherwise, by any other country. We need to be pressing our legislators to fix that problem FIRST and figure out how they did it, are doing it and how to stop them. In the mean time, the investigation into how this happened can continue and yes, the truth is important - regardless of what it is, that truth needs to be known.

WOW, not that you are looking for it, but you get my respect 100%! I think there's a lot of your fellow Democrats that are going to have to eat a little crow because they are so invested in this Trump collusion narrative and there's really no way for them save face if the conclusion of this long investigation is that there was no collusion.

I just wanted to let you know that it's refreshing to see a Democrat who is willing to wait for the evidence to come out before calling for or assuming there will be an impeachment.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

27 Feb 2018 09:27 #156 by parkcobound
Thank you, I really do think many of our legislators, from both parties have been doing quite a bit of jumping to conclusions - as well as not listening to each other. They will never solve problems yelling insults at each other, blaming the other party for everything that is going wrong or pointing fingers when they don't have all of the facts. I feel like the legislature works for us, we elected them, our tax dollars pay their salaries and too many of them seem to be more concerned with getting the better of their opponent and not too concerned with what their job is supposed to be - working for the citizens of the United States, looking out for our interests and using their best judgment to do that. I do not see very much of that going on these days. and yes, the democrats are guilty of many things, yelling a lot being at the top of that list, but they are not alone and I think any of them that are spending more time yelling at each other across the isle than trying to solve todays problems should be ashamed of themselves. We have an election coming up in the fall - everyone needs to get themselves up to date on what their legislator is doing, go back and look and see how they have been voting on things - or if they have been voting at all (many of them are absent quite a bit of the time) and research the new candidates. I may not agree with your politics, you may not agree with mine, but we ALL should be electing someone who reflects at least the lions share of our concerns/values and then, that person who is elected should DO THEIR JOB to do their level best to advocate for their constituents. And we should all try to be a little more understanding of other's points of view. In the end, we are all in this together. We all live here. and what happens in our local and federal governments effect all of us in one way or another.

06 Mar 2018 21:09 #157 by Blazer Bob
Meddling you can believe in.

www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/03/h...nergy-production.php

"HOW RUSSIA TRIED TO BLOCK US ENERGY PRODUCTION
Russia’s supposed “meddling” in the 2016 election has been an endless topic of news coverage, but for some reason our press has shown little interest in other instances of Russian meddling–the nuclear freeze movement of the 1980s, for example, or more recently, Russia’s effort to discredit fracking and rouse popular opposition to pipeline construction.

Last Thursday, the Majority Staff of the United States House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology released a report titled “Russian Attempts to Influence U.S. Domestic Energy Markets by Exploiting Social Media.” It doesn’t seem to have gotten as much attention as it deserves.

The House report notes Russia’s strong interest in depressing petroleum production in the U.S. (“American energy represents a direct threat to Russian energy interests.”) Russia has defended its interests by funding American environmental organizations:"...

07 Mar 2018 14:57 #158 by parkcobound
I doubt anyone is in favor of ANY other country influencing things within the US. Particularly unfriendly countries. I am surprised anyone up here is in favor of fracking pipelines or other things of that nature. Again everyone is entitled to their opinion - I'm simply saying it seems fairly uncommon for those things to have popularity in this region. Without beating me over the head with it - I would be interested to know if that's more popular here than I thought?

09 Mar 2018 16:43 #159 by FredHayek
Fracking and pipelines? You say people should not want to be influenced by foreign natures. Developing our own internal resources via fracking and pipeline makes us less dependent on foreign oil. Based on current trends, the US will be the largest oil producer by 2024. Good jobs for Americans, no more wars for oil and gas sound like a good thing to me.

Back to the impeachment talk. This week's job report showed hundreds of thousands more Americans going back to work. Does America really want to replace an administration that has rebounded the economy from the morass of the Obama years. 1-2% growth under President Obama wasn't even keeping up with the population growth. Jobs are back, wages are rising, construction is booming. The Fed is actually raising interest rates so even savers are starting to make money again.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Mar 2018 17:09 #160 by Carrie
First, let me say that I agree NO other country should influence how we run our own. But putting priorities on fracking and pipelines rather than alternative sources is extremely short sighted, in my opinion. I just returned from a country that, other than gas for cars and planes, is TOTALLY RUN BY RENEWABLE ENERGY!! I was impressed! Granted, Iceland is much smaller and has a much higher percentage of geothermal activity than the U.S., but we have so many options--geothermal where possible (though a limited opportunity), wind, solar, etc. That could greatly reduce our dependence on a limited-amount resource. Someday, this well will run dry (and I mean that literally), so why not plan ahead and do less damage? It's not as if fracking and drilling hasn't created some rather major disasters, from earthquakes to oil spills. A little pre-planning goes a long way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LJ

Time to create page: 0.635 seconds