Impeachment proceedings against Trump

10 Mar 2018 17:23 #161 by ramage
Carrie,
Please inform us as to what earthquakes have been caused by fracking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2018 13:50 #162 by hillfarmer
Try reading either Forbes or the USGS websites....

Oh, wait. Those aren't reliable sources like Brietbart or Inforwars. My bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrie

11 Mar 2018 14:03 #163 by FredHayek

hillfarmer wrote: Try reading either Forbes or the USGS websites....

Oh, wait. Those aren't reliable sources like Brietbart or Inforwars. My bad.

The earthquakes attributed to fracking are very small, like in the 3's on the Richter scale. On that scale a 3 earthquake does ten times less damage as a 4. These are very minor, like a truck rolling by a home.

Iceland as an example of the success of renewables? Very cute, but hardly like the US. For instance, Iceland has access to geothermal energy that 90% of America does not. And Iceland has no natural gas and oil deposits to develop. Better to look at Norway which does have great deposits of both oil and gas. They sell these resources to other nations to pay for their renewable energy.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Mar 2018 18:07 #164 by Carrie
I suggest taking hillfarmer's advice and try some real news. There has been a little more damage in a lot of places than a truck going by a home. I already stated that the U.S. does not have much access to geothermal, but there are other sustainable/renewable energy opportunities. Those who cling to oil and gas (not only a finite supply but, like coal, also more destructive to the land and air) appear to be rather short-sighted.

11 Mar 2018 19:13 #165 by ramage
Hillfarmer,
Thanks for the referrals. I did not know of InfoWars, Breitbart I am aware of, and cannot find any references with regard to earthquakes, I searched the USGS website and could not find any references that earthquakes that were caused by fracking. Please post your citation, I would like to learn.
I await your reference from the USGS or are you blowing smoke?
Carrie,
See above. I took HF's advice but could not find any reference that frackinng caused earthquakes, perhaps you have that source?
By the way, you use the term "short-sighted" would you please elucidate how the time frame that you are referring to with the statement, "cling to oil and gas ...appear to be rather short-sighted".
I hope that you are pragmatic and still use private and/or public transportation, albeit they rely on the internal combustion engine. It is a long walk to Denver.

11 Mar 2018 22:59 #166 by ScienceChic
A combination of news articles and science journal articles on the subject of hydraulic fracturing and earthquakes:
Parts of Oklahoma now have the same earthquake risk as California — and a new study found a scarily direct link to fracking
Erin Brodwin, Business Insider
Feb. 2, 2018

Oklahoma Toughens Oil Fracking Rules After Shale Earthquakes
By David Wethe, Bloomberg
February 27, 2018

Oklahoma’s induced seismicity strongly linked to wastewater injection depth
Thea Hincks, Willy Aspinall, Roger Cooke, Thomas Gernon
Science 01 Feb 2018: eaap7911
DOI: 10.1126/science.aap7911

Discriminating between natural versus induced seismicity from long-term deformation history of intraplate faults
Maria Beatrice Magnani, Michael L. Blanpied, Heather R. DeShon, and Matthew J. Hornbach
Science Advances 24 Nov 2017:
Vol. 3, no. 11, e1701593
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1701593

Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake sequence
Katie M. Keranen, Heather M. Savage, Geoffrey A. Abers, Elizabeth S. Cochran
Geology (2013) 41 (6): 699-702.
DOI: doi.org/10.1130/G34045.1
Published: June 01, 2013

Thanks To Fracking, Earthquake Hazards In Parts Of Oklahoma Now Comparable To California
James Conca , Contributor, Forbes
Sep 7, 2016

There is a connection between fracking and earthquakes in the central and eastern United States (Figure 1). But the earthquakes are not a result of fracking itself. They mostly result from the injection of fracking wastewater and other waste and production water, even from non-fracking wells, at depths well-below the fracking horizon. The larger the volumes of water injected into the subsurface, the larger the earthquakes can be.

The United States Geological Survey just produced a seismic hazard forecast for 2016 for the central and eastern United States that includes both induced and natural earthquakes. While almost all of the fracking-induced or triggered earthquakes are small -- less than magnitude 3, which can’t be felt by most people -- enough are above 3 that the USGS predicted a 5% to 17% chance of significant damage to homes and structures in just the year 2016 for areas of north-central Oklahoma and southern Kansas where fracking occurs. Presumably, this will continue each year as long as fracking continues close to the present rate.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: LJ

12 Mar 2018 17:57 #167 by ramage
SC,
Thank you for the references. I took the time to read them and the scientific articles that the lay press used as sources. Please realize that correlation does not mean causation. All of the supplied references are studies in Oklahoma, could it be that the geologic strata in that area is different from the rest of the U.S., such as the Marcellus shelf in Pennsylvania, I would be interested in reviewing an article discussing the areas.
The presumption that man can appreciably alter the ecology of the earth is the ultimate expression of hubris. What would you think if dinosaurs had the ability to alter climate change. The citizens of Dinosaur, CO would be on welfare and closer to home what new name would we have to give to Dinosaur Ridge, in Morrison, CO. or would we be here at all?
Maybe the dinosaurs would not have created speed traps on 285.

12 Mar 2018 18:02 #168 by FredHayek
House Intelligence Committee found no evidence of collusion between the Trump Campaign and the Russians. Will Mueller find out the same?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Mar 2018 21:01 - 12 Mar 2018 21:05 #169 by ScienceChic
Now, to get back to the topic at hand. To address something parkcobound said a while back, I agree that grandstanding and filing impeachment articles before having all the facts at hand is jumping the gun but sometimes political statements need to be made when the other party is derelict in discharging their duties (see Adam Schiff's complaints about Republicans on the House Intel Committee not following through and requesting interviews with key witnesses or documents from individuals involved in their investigations).

As I mentioned before, I started this topic with the title because it is a fact that articles of impeachment were filed. Whether or not the process moves any further along is still a matter to be seen, but there is more than enough probable cause for this Special Counsel investigation to be conducted. The sources I have been quoting are ones that I discovered and have been watching and analyzing for some time before I ever posted anything from them as to the veracity of their claims. Their track records have held up so by and large I choose to believe what they post, and they do claim that Mueller is on Round 2 or 3 of Round 15 and that Trump and his whole family, many of his cabinet, members of Congress and some media as well as international criminals are all going down. You are free to agree or disagree, this topic is for discussion of any viewpoints. My goal with it is to keep up with new information as it comes out, and my apologies for slacking here the past couple of weeks - I hadn't even realized that I'd forgotten to post the Democratic memo response to Devin Nunes's memo, which addresses your comment FH.

Intel Committee Ranking Member Schiff Releases Democratic Response Memo

Norm Eisen Verified account @NormEisen Feb 25

Have now read and analyzed Nunes & Schiff memos. Can come to only 1 conclusion: Nunes, GOP leaders, & Trump intentionally lied 2hurt FBI & USA and benefit Russia. That is unlike anything we have seen—far worse than McCarthy or Nixon, who were not aiding our foreign adversaries

Citizens for Ethics Verified account @CREWcrew Feb 24

"Schiff quotes key FBI documents that explicitly contradict the Nunes memo’s core arguments. Any fair-minded observer who reads these two documents side-by-side can only conclude one thing: Nunes is either deeply misinformed or straight-up lying."
www.vox.com/world/2018/2/24/17048936/dem...al-nunes-schiff-memo

A Democratic Memo Undercuts Key Republican Complaints About the FBI
NATASHA BERTRAND, The Atlantic | FEB 24, 2018

Caroline O. @RVAwonk Feb 24

Another important takeaway from Schiff memo: The FISA warrant against Carter page was approved by four different federal judges:
-2 appointed by George W. Bush
-1 appointed by George H.W. Bush
-1 appointed by Reagan

...so, pretty hard to argue "liberal bias"

Walter Shaub Verified account @waltschaub

This is a stunning development in a once great nation. The leaders of the House intelligence committee, who handle classified material, are leakers. Worse, they leak for partisan political gain. What disgraceful corruption. Nunes must be replaced as chair.

Nicholas Fandos Verified account @npfandos
NEWS: The bipartisan leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee have privately concluded that the HPSCI majority leaked Mark Warner's private text messages to Fox News. nyti.ms/2taZJlO
Show this thread

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/969254567308382208
11:49 AM - 1 Mar 2018

Mueller Weighs Putting Off Trump Obstruction Decision
By Chris Strohm and Shannon Pettypiece, Bloomberg
March 12, 2018

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

13 Mar 2018 09:13 #170 by ramage
Get ready for more fireworks! Gina Haspel, the first women nominated to be the head of the CIA, has been with the Agency since the early 1980's. Praised by Brennan and Clapper, (for what that's worth) and named by Obama to be an acting deputy director. However, the democrats in the Senate are not in favor of her due to a position she held in the CIA; Head of the Clandestine Service for foreign intelligence and covert action.

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds