Impeachment proceedings against Trump

16 Mar 2018 08:47 #181 by parkcobound
My dad managed a truck stop back in the 70's - it ended up a Chinese restaurant after he left - no one else wanted to work the 24 hour shifts it took to make money there, that was before credit cards of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2018 15:43 #182 by ScienceChic
Think it's a coincidence that Sessions fired McCabe just after reports surfaced that Mueller subpoenaed the Trump Organization for emails? Today Trump's lawyer said that he was speaking on Trump's behalf and said that the Special Counsel's investigation should be ended, then he walked that back and said he was speaking for himself only and not his client (because the president firing Rosenstein to get to Mueller would be clear cut obstruction of justice). And our president Tweeted this:

Adam Schiff Verified account @RepAdamSchiff

In the absence of the IG report, it’s impossible to evaluate the merits of this harsh treatment of a 21-year FBI professional. That it comes after the President urged the DOJ to deprive McCabe of his pension, and after his testimony, gives the action an odious taint.

FBI's Andrew McCabe fired, effective immediately, before he could retire
CBS News March 16, 2018

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has been fired, effective immediately the Department of Justice said late Friday night. The decision comes as FBI officials recommended his firing, as they wait for a Department of Justice Inspector General report critical of him to be released.

In a statement, the Department of Justice said "the OIG and FBI OPR reports concluded that Mr. McCabe had made an unauthorized disclosure to the news media and lacked candor − including under oath − on multiple occasions."

The decision, not unexpected, came two days before McCabe was set to retire Sunday. The 49-year-old is likely to keep at least some of his pension.

In a phone interview with CBS News, McCabe said he "rejects the findings in the [Inspector General] report," calling it "misleading and unfair."

"I strongly believe this is the latest chapter in a yearlong attack on my credibility and service to the country," McCabe said.

McCabe's Statement

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

17 Mar 2018 16:31 #183 by FredHayek
Don't weep for McCabe. He will find a nice cushy job on Wall Street that will pay him much more than his pension. Like Eric Holder did.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Mar 2018 16:54 #184 by Rick
McCabe got off easy, he should be treated the same way Flynn was because what he did was worse. I suspect the IG report will leave the left searching for ways to spin reality once again and they will once again fail. I love how this investigation is backfiring on the real corruption and liars who used their powerful positions to try and change the election results. Russia Russia Russia!!! LOL yeah, what a joke.

Now Muller is looking into Trump's business dealings trying to find ANYTHING that will stick since the collusion thing is being exposed as just manufactured assumptions and paid for tabloid Russian crap (paid for by Clinton).

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2018 20:57 #185 by ScienceChic
Former 4-star general Barry R McCaffrey tweeted yesterday:
Barry R McCaffrey @mccaffreyr3

Reluctantly I have concluded that President Trump is a serious threat to US national security. He is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks. It is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of Mr Putin.

Brandon Friedman Verified account @BFriedmanDC Mar 16

If you don't know who he is, McCaffrey served as a senior White House appointee for five years. When he retired from the Army in 1996, he was the most decorated general officer serving at the time, with two Distinguished Service Crosses, two Silver Stars and three Purple Hearts.

Laurence Tribe Verified account @tribelaw Mar 15

Trump’s indefensible failure to implement sanctions against Russia for what it did to disrupt our presidential election may have encouraged this terrifying attack on our power grid. Dereliction of duty takes a heavy toll. Trump is a menace to our nation’s security.

In a first, U.S. blames Russia for cyber attacks on energy grid
Dustin Volz, Timothy Gardner
MARCH 15, 2018

Beginning in March 2016, or possibly earlier, Russian government hackers sought to penetrate multiple U.S. critical infrastructure sectors, including energy, nuclear, commercial facilities, water, aviation and manufacturing, according to a U.S. security alert published Thursday.

Russian Hackers Attacking U.S. Power Grid and Aviation, FBI Warns
By Jennifer A Dlouhy and Michael Riley
March 15, 2018

Cyber-attacks are "literally happening hundreds of thousands of times a day," Energy Secretary Rick Perry told lawmakers during a hearing Thursday. "The warfare that goes on in the cyberspace is real, it’s serious, and we must lead the world."

Separately Thursday, the U.S. sanctioned a St. Petersburg-based “troll farm,” two Russian intelligence services, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin and other Russian citizens and businesses indicted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller on charges of meddling with the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

(Emphasis mine)

What's of note here is that throughout these events, our president has not once, save for one joint statement with Theresa May for the attempted murder of former Russian spy Skripal using a military grade nerve agent, condemned Russia in any way for illegal and untoward activities toward us or our allies. He's attacked Americans, our DOJ, our intelligence agencies, fellow politicians, and football players...but not Putin. What does that tell you?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Mar 2018 14:52 #186 by Rick
There's no doubt Russia has been trying to do a lot of bad things in the US, but Obama did nothing, even when he knew.

But, as far as this election collusion accusation, we are all going to see that the collusion was done by Americans in the highest and most powerful positions, against Trump. I'll look for some good crow recipes for all those who will be forced to eat some.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Mar 2018 07:14 - 19 Mar 2018 07:19 #187 by Yossarian
I'm having a little trouble following the indignation here. DOJ's IG Horowitz was appointed by Obama in 2012. He first served in government as a federal prosecutor in Clinton's DOJ. Horowitz is a MCL Harvard Law grad with a distinguished record as a private practitioner in white collar criminal defense. And the Democrats harrumphed loudly and approvingly when it was made public that Horowitz would investigate, among other things, the DOJ's investigation into Clinton's email server attacks during the 2016 campaign. McCabe, a lawyer himself, knew the ethics rules when he signed up two decades ago. Now, the DOJ IG has concluded that one of its employees lied and acted unethically, i.e., Horowitz called balls-and-strikes for what they were, but the Democrats disapprove. What do McCabe and the left want --- another Clintonian pass for a Washington elite who broke rules? I tried to find some sympathy for an unethical lawyer (reportedly McCabe gathered his crew after the inauguration and said, "first, we ___ Flynn, and then we ___ Trump") who manipulated our justice system and lied, and now complains he can't retire at age 50 with a full government pension, but those tears just won't come. Good riddance.

20 Mar 2018 08:30 #188 by ScienceChic
Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying for McCabe, he'll land on his feet just fine. The outrage I am seeing stems from the fact that 1.) the Inspector General's report hasn't been released, 2.) the timing - 2 days before his retirement after 21 years? and 3.) this seems to indicate a trend that Trump is aiming for Special Counsel Mueller and that is what has most people up in arms.

I think McCabe played a horrible role in killing Hillary's chances at being elected, but I know there are other forces yet unseen at play here and we don't know the full story. I'm hoping more comes out, but in the meantime I'm going to keep sharing what does so we can talk about it as it happens - this investigation and the subsequent trials will take years and waiting to talk about it would mean tons of info to process all at once way down the line. And forums are for discussions of current events! :)

Rick, a question for you. How is that Trump's people are the ones who have pleaded guilty of crimes, and yet this is all somehow a conspiracy against Trump? I totally agree that this goes to the highest levels, but I think you're fooling yourself if you think he isn't involved. I personally would love to be wrong about all of this, as I said at the very beginning of this thread. I do not relish the corruption that has taken root, nor the instability that has arisen due to that, and the harm that has come to our nation. I would happily eat crow to be proven wrong and our government to be working for us, but I suspect I am not. You know too that there is corruption, and it's on both sides of the aisle in Congress and the White House. It spans the globe. Russia is at war with the west and every day we find out more that they've done. We should be united against that, not allowing them to further divide us against one another.

Obama DID enact measures against the Russians - he tossed 35 diplomats out of the country, closed 2 of their embassies and seized the properties, enacted sanctions, and contacted Putin when it became obvious that they were meddling in our election. He didn't do nearly enough, that many have said and I agree. But you know what? Trump gave those embassies back once he got into office, and has refused to enforce the sanctions that Congress overwhelming passed since then and he has refused to condemn Putin publicly for anything he's done all the while he's attacked American citizens and our institutions. What does that tell you?

Trump administration moves to return Russian compounds in Maryland and New York

Sedition Timeline
-This thread chronologically reviews Trump and his campaign’s crimes against the United States.

Trump balks at fully implementing Russian sanctions law

20 Mar 2018 09:34 - 20 Mar 2018 09:39 #189 by Yossarian
The OIG's report wasn't released publicly before McCabe was fired because it's incomplete.
The charges against McCabe arose out of the broader DOJ OIG investigation into the FBI’s handling of the Clinton email investigation. The IG, Horowitz, was appointed by President Obama and is a former career Justice Department lawyer who began his career in the Clinton Administration. The IG has a great deal of statutory independence, and Horowitz has used it. Horowitz notably produced a highly critical 2012 report into the Justice Department’s “Fast and Furious” program. We should presume Horowitz shoots straight.

After McCabe's ethical transgressions arose during the course of the broader investigation, Horowitz’s office provided a report on McCabe’s conduct to the FBI’s Office of Professional Responsibility, which investigates allegations of misconduct against bureau employees. Horowitz had no ethical alternative as a lawyer but to report his interim findings on McCabe to the cognizant disciplinary office. This office is headed by career DOJ official Candace Will who was appointed to that office by then-FBI Director Robert Mueller in 2004. Make no mistake, McCabe's FBI colleagues recommended that he be fired, not crazy republicans or the administration. When Horowitz completes the final report next month, it will become public one way or another, and should provide much grist for online discussion.

And you're right, it's likely McCabe will land on his feet. Democrat congressmen and -women have stated they will hire McCabe (after the OIG recommended his firing and the FBI fired him for lying) so he will be able to retire at age 50 on a full government pension, all at public expense. That's a good indicator of why Congress is held in such low esteem today. In any event, McCabe will write a book that Clintonites will buy that will cover his lost pension.

As for Trump taking aim at Mueller, I don't know what gets most people up in arms, but when someone takes aim at me, I defend myself. Last time I checked, presidents immemorial have used the bully pulpit to advance their positions even if it rubbed opponents the wrong way. After 15 months, Mueller's office has upturned no evidence to support the legal theories that Trump colluded with non-US citizens to rig our elections or obstructed justice by firing Comey. In fact, the evidence indicates that the democrats were the ones using information obtained from Russian sources to distort the FISA process, spy on the opposition and gain an electoral advantage. Why not defend oneself? The longer Mueller keeps his investigation open, the more of a target he presents to those he's aiming at.

Today, many theorize that Mueller continues to investigate in hopes that 1) the democrats will take the House in 2018 and bring articles of impeachment in 2019 to further the "resistance," while 2) continuing to mine information through the discovery process that may be leaked to "resistance" operatives, all at public expense. Were the players reversed, i.e., had the criminal investigation system being used to kneecap Obama, the left would be as outraged as the right is now. I'd get a bag of popcorn and keep watching. Potentially, we have a political scandal with criminal conduct that will dwarf Watergate.

20 Mar 2018 10:17 - 20 Mar 2018 10:21 #190 by Yossarian
I'm also having a bit of trouble following the hysteria on slow-walking Congress' Russia sanctions. The administration issued a signing statement after Trump signed that bill pointing out material provisions arguably violated the Constitution. [LA Times article: www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-n...87924-htmlstory.html ]

This seems to be a point worth a serious pause for consideration in the larger context of the controversy about shifts in the separation of powers between Congress and the president. Again, had Congress passed the same bill onto President Obama, the same objections as Trump raised likely would've applied. No president could unravel the sanctions Congress passed, which sanctions extended beyond Congress' power of the purse. Even Slate, a leftwing media outlet, agreed that this administration's constitutional objections had merit.

As for returning the compounds to Russia, I'd rather hold my enemies close. Those compounds, like ours in Russia, likely are laden with surveillance equipment. The compound issue arose when Russia hindered construction of our St. Petersburg compound and began harassing US diplomats, i.e., part of a mutual diplomatic tit-for-tat. Go ahead, Putin, staff them up again.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds