2020 Presidential Candidates

10 Feb 2019 17:10 #1 by ScienceChic
Now that we've had several candidates declare their intention to run for president, it seems time to start a thread where we can share updates from those we like most/are supporting/are against/are intrigued about/want to discuss. If you'd like to start a separate thread for a single candidate, you are certainly welcome to do so! I'm going to list all who've officially declared (either with the FEC or with a public announcement) below in alphabetical order with links to their campaign websites so you can research them further and will update it as new candidates declare; please feel free to add news articles about any you wish to discuss to this thread as the months progress.

What The Potential 2020 Candidates Are Doing And Saying, Vol. 5
By Adam Kelsey, for fivethirtyeight
February 8, 2019

Welcome to a weekly collaboration between FiveThirtyEight and ABC News. With 5,000 people seemingly thinking about challenging President Trump in 2020 — Democrats and even some Republicans — we’re keeping tabs on the field as it develops. Each week, we’ll run through what the potential candidates are up to — who’s getting closer to officially jumping in the ring and who’s getting further away.

Republican Party
Donald Trump
Michael Bicklemeyer
David Raphael Herz
Huhnkie Lee
Robert Eugene Smith

Democratic Party
Cory Booker

Julian Castro

Tulsi Gabbard

Kirsten Gillibrand

Kamala Harris

John Hickenlooper (though he hasn't formally declared yet, it's quite likely going to happen so I'm placing him here for now with a news article. Will replace with a campaign website or remove him later depending on what he does)

Amy Klobuchar

Elizabeth Warren

Hart P. Cunningham
Susanne Atanus
Daphne Denise Bradford
Willie Felix Carter
John K. Delaney
Ryan Andrew Farber
Stetson Hardwick
Kenneth E Nwadike Jr
Richard Neece Ojeda II
Sharmin Lynn Smith
Herbert Ezekiel Zeke Smyth
John Washington III
Fred Wiand
Andrew Yang

Unaffiliated or other 3rd Party
Gregory Boyer (Write-In)
Jerry Leon Carroll (None)
Joe Edward Collins, III (Green Party)
Cherunda Lynn Fox (Independent)
Rev. Veronica Ronnie Fuller (Independent)
Crystal Ann Hale (Independent)
Adam Kokesh (Libertarian Party)
Joseph A. Maldonado (Libertarian)
Willie Deshaun Perkins (American Independent Party)
Michael Brandon Puskar (Unaffiliated)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2019 13:01 #2 by homeagain
WAY too early in the timeline......I am really not seeing ANYONE I would support....right now.

Allow alliances and actions to develop and perhaps my assessment might solidify.jmo

20 Feb 2019 13:11 #3 by FredHayek
Bernie is already out earning his Democratic competition after announcing this week. He has been vetted so people know him better than the other Dems currently in the race. There is a big debate on if VP Joe Biden will join the race. I think if he does, he becomes the favorite. More moderate than most of the current choices. And will attract corporate donations that Bernie will have trouble getting.

There will be more Republicans than usual running against President Trump, and I think there is a good chance Senator Mitt Romney will run against the man he loathes. Also this might be the last time he can run for President at his age. Strangely I think Mitt won't have a chance. A lot of the base never liked Romney, thinking he was too moderate, and his Mormon religion kept many fundamentalists at home when Mitt ran against Barack. But like what was said before me, it is still way early. I could even see the Donald choosing not to run again. He achieved his goal of the Oval Office and maybe he is ready to retire and play golf instead of fighting pesky questions. I could see him doing all he can to support his VP Mike Pence just in case he needs a pardon down the road.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Feb 2019 16:35 #4 by Pony Soldier
Nobody liked Romney because he wouldn't fight. That's why Trump still has a base - he fights.

06 Mar 2019 13:33 #5 by homeagain
www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/201...sident-guide/582598/

OK.....as of first week of March.....here's the history/fact sheet at a glance.

02 Apr 2019 08:20 #6 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/201...sident-guide/582598/

OK.....as of first week of March.....here's the history/fact sheet at a glance.

It is now the first week of APRIL.....what do you think?

02 Apr 2019 12:41 - 02 Apr 2019 12:46 #7 by FredHayek
I like Mayor Pete Buttieg(SP?) the best of the Democrats who have declared. Seems a true renaissance man. Would love to see him at the adult table for the debates.

I dislike "Beto" the most. Seems a real phony. Took oil money, claims to be an environmentalist. Claims to be for the common man, used emiment domain to tear down poor peoples housing. Claims to be for the common man, but his father is a well connected judge, who got him preferential treatment when he got into legal trouble, his wife is a rich heiress, and his father-in-law in a billionaire.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2019 15:52 #8 by parkcobound
I just found this thread - I will have to keep an eye on it - I did not know that about Beto..... now I hate him.

02 Apr 2019 17:52 #9 by homeagain
[quote="FredHayek" post=357033]I like Mayor Pete Buttieg(SP?) the best of the Democrats who have declared. Seems a true renaissance man. Would love to see him at the adult table for the debates.

I dislike "Beto" the most. Seems a real phony. Took oil money, claims to be an environmentalist. Claims to be for the common man, used emiment domain to tear down poor peoples housing. Claims to be for the common man, but his father is a well connected judge, who got him preferential treatment when he got into legal trouble, his wife is a rich heiress, and his father-in-law in a billionaire.[/quote]

www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/nearly-7...e-poll-finds-n990211

THIS is encouraging......have to do more research, but I did see an interview and he answered twitter questions from the public....did a decent job of addressing the questions…

I also saw HEADLINERS on msm and Beto was featured.....it brought forward all the above
mentioned negatives....problem is, I think he reminds people of JFK....he is that magnetic.

02 Apr 2019 19:10 #10 by parkcobound
Now that u say that about Beto, u might be right. JFK was no saint actually, but as I've said over and over, the lies are what kill me in politics...so I will be looking for the one who's message seems the most consistent, with his or her plans for the country as well as with their past. Never going to find a saint in politics but I would like to see a candidate that means what he says, cares about the country, will not consistently alienate everyone around him, and thinks through problems...probably to much to ask for, but I can hope :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rmapp

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds