2020 Presidential Candidates

25 Apr 2019 18:35 #41 by parkcobound
I guess I want to believe our voting system is impenatrable, but I am a big proponent for going back to paper ballots... Concerning propaganda, I think it would take a mind reader to know if anyone were truly influenced by it. I can give you an example of why I won't discount it having an impact on the election however. In August 2016 I was talking to someone who actually has 2 degrees, and this person had heard the story about Hilary running some ring out of a pizza place (I believe child trafficking, but my memory fails me on the details right now) and while I was thinking wow, I can't believe you're buying that story... Instead I ask where he heard that, and he saw it on facebook. Now, I have no idea what the source of the story was or whether there was any Russian influence there, but that story swayed that person difinitavely. Now, I'm going to take an unscientific leap and say that I believe that if this one person, who is not a stupid person, many more could have easily been swayed by one or more of the many stories that were going around. You and I and most of the people on here read the news, from many sources, we come to our conclusions based on valid information, and real thought and reasoning. But I have a job where I interact with a very diverse and large segment of society, and I can tell you that we are the enomily . we take the time to educate ourselves, even in the details we don't always agree with. Many others spend their time getting their news from facebook ... Based on that, I cannot discount the possibility that misinformation and propaganda could have swayed the election. Also, my reasoning behind my comment that I am not convinced there won't also be problems with the next one. Again, I remain hopeful. And hopeful that more people will spend more time making sure they are fully informed before voting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2019 18:50 #42 by Blazer Bob
"misinformation and propaganda could have swayed the election"

Color me cynical. That is what sways every election. That is why politics attracts scum. Propaganda is another word for lies and that is there stock in trade.

Or riddle me this:

"Taller Presidential Candidates Get More Votes
It's true: Taller presidential candidates have fared better through history. They haven't always won. But they were victorious in a majority of elections and the popular vote about two-thirds of the time, according to Gregg R. Murray, a Texas Tech University political scientist.

Murray's analysis concluded that the taller of the two major-party candidates from 1789 to 2012 won 58 percent of presidential elections and received the majority of the popular vote in 67 percent of those elections."

www.thoughtco.com/does-the-tallest-presi...andidate-win-3367512
Attachments:

26 Apr 2019 11:09 #43 by FredHayek
Great point about taller presidents. One third of voters will vote Democrat no matter what. One third will vote Republican no matter what. The undeclared in the middle decide elections. And while some of them are very politically connected, many only vote in presidential elections every four years and don't keep up with politics. (One reason I am against mandatory voting or making voter registration automatic.) Face it, a lot of dumb bunnies decide who is President. And often one of the qualifiers is who would you prefer to have a beer with. Joe Biden or Donald Trump? John Kerry or George Bush? Mayor Pete or Cory Booker? John Hickenlooper or Elizabeth Warren?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: parkcobound

26 Apr 2019 12:26 #44 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic 2020 Presidential Candidates

parkcobound wrote: I guess I want to believe our voting system is impenatrable, but I am a big proponent for going back to paper ballots... Concerning propaganda, I think it would take a mind reader to know if anyone were truly influenced by it. I can give you an example of why I won't discount it having an impact on the election however. In August 2016 I was talking to someone who actually has 2 degrees, and this person had heard the story about Hilary running some ring out of a pizza place (I believe child trafficking, but my memory fails me on the details right now) and while I was thinking wow, I can't believe you're buying that story... Instead I ask where he heard that, and he saw it on facebook. Now, I have no idea what the source of the story was or whether there was any Russian influence there, but that story swayed that person difinitavely. Now, I'm going to take an unscientific leap and say that I believe that if this one person, who is not a stupid person, many more could have easily been swayed by one or more of the many stories that were going around. You and I and most of the people on here read the news, from many sources, we come to our conclusions based on valid information, and real thought and reasoning. But I have a job where I interact with a very diverse and large segment of society, and I can tell you that we are the enomily . we take the time to educate ourselves, even in the details we don't always agree with. Many others spend their time getting their news from facebook ... Based on that, I cannot discount the possibility that misinformation and propaganda could have swayed the election. Also, my reasoning behind my comment that I am not convinced there won't also be problems with the next one. Again, I remain hopeful. And hopeful that more people will spend more time making sure they are fully informed before voting.

Well said, voting for president is a very important role for every legal citizen and it should be taken seriously. There's a lot of crap on places like facebook and it's usually tailored to an individual's ideology. Most of the stuff I see on my feed is conservative propaganda where I'm guessing liberals will get much of the opposite. Facts matter and you have to seek them out instead of just accepting what finds you.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell
The following user(s) said Thank You: parkcobound

26 Apr 2019 13:57 #45 by homeagain

parkcobound wrote: I guess I want to believe our voting system is impenatrable, but I am a big proponent for going back to paper ballots... Concerning propaganda, I think it would take a mind reader to know if anyone were truly influenced by it. I can give you an example of why I won't discount it having an impact on the election however. In August 2016 I was talking to someone who actually has 2 degrees, and this person had heard the story about Hilary running some ring out of a pizza place (I believe child trafficking, but my memory fails me on the details right now) and while I was thinking wow, I can't believe you're buying that story... Instead I ask where he heard that, and he saw it on facebook. Now, I have no idea what the source of the story was or whether there was any Russian influence there, but that story swayed that person difinitavely. Now, I'm going to take an unscientific leap and say that I believe that if this one person, who is not a stupid person, many more could have easily been swayed by one or more of the many stories that were going around. You and I and most of the people on here read the news, from many sources, we come to our conclusions based on valid information, and real thought and reasoning. But I have a job where I interact with a very diverse and large segment of society, and I can tell you that we are the enomily . we take the time to educate ourselves, even in the details we don't always agree with. Many others spend their time getting their news from facebook ... Based on that, I cannot discount the possibility that misinformation and propaganda could have swayed the election. Also, my reasoning behind my comment that I am not convinced there won't also be problems with the next one. Again, I remain hopeful. And hopeful that more people will spend more time making sure they are fully informed before voting.

1st bolded...THAT is just down right scary and the singular most serious problem we face as a nation....social media.....the dumbing down of the masses.

2nd bolded THANK YOU for confirming my overriding suspicion about the populace. I just thought it was my eccentric self being biased about blatant blankness.

I'm an ''outlander'' and see no reason to be ''PLUGGED IN'' with Alexis, facebook. twitter,
Instagram,snapchat…..all the tek tools....but then I am retired and have that option....as we
''speak"... I'm on an old hp laptop....had for at least 6 years.

It's truly striking....I just read the WSJ article (a few days ago)...indicating the "NEW" wave
of people that are opting out of being plugged in...because they are in a position of affluence
or have consciously chosen another way of life....even tho they are NOT rich.

29 Apr 2019 08:53 #46 by parkcobound
Well I see a pretty mixed bag. Even with millenials. I do hope folks take the time to educate themselves before the next election, take the time to find out who they are electing. of course, that only matters to a certain degree as congress probably has more power in all truth... and there are some real loosers in congress

29 Apr 2019 14:24 #47 by FredHayek

parkcobound wrote: Well I see a pretty mixed bag. Even with millenials. I do hope folks take the time to educate themselves before the next election, take the time to find out who they are electing. of course, that only matters to a certain degree as congress probably has more power in all truth... and there are some real loosers in congress

Great point. Too many congressmen keep getting reelected because too many people concentrate too much on the Presidential race where your vote counts for very little.

Dumbing down the masses? Do you honestly think the nation isn't as smart as it used to be? More people are going to college than ever before. More people are graduating high school and are literate than 100 years ago.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Apr 2019 17:31 #48 by parkcobound
Getting a HS or college education does not provide the information a person needs to be equipped with to vote. And I know plenty of people I would consider book smart and life dumb. And way too many people rely on FB for their news.

29 Apr 2019 18:23 #49 by Blazer Bob

FredHayek wrote: [.

Dumbing down the masses? Do you honestly think the nation isn't as smart as it used to be? More people are going to college than ever before. More people are graduating high school and are literate than 100 years ago.

Yes, that is what I think. I wish it were not so but I have known too many high school grads that are functionally illiterate.

www.google.com/search?q=How+does+the+US+...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alex, I will take a Yale degree for !.2 million dollars.

www.complex.com/life/2019/03/yale-kicks-...paid-1-million-bribe

29 Apr 2019 18:34 #50 by parkcobound
You know I heard once and I don't know if its true, but the ivy league school provide tutors and stuff to make sure their students graduate. Of course if u can afford one of those school you can probably afford all the tutors you need anyway I guess.

Time to create page: 0.594 seconds