A huge difference between the Tea Party and the Dems today

17 Sep 2010 07:42 #41 by Wayne Harrison
Don't confuse the anti-incumbency movement with an anti-democrat movement. It is the nature of voters to always want to vote the incumbents out, regardless of the party.

As for your tsunami allegory, I think there will be some republicans washed out to sea also, but I'll wait for the actual vote in November. Voters always have a way of surprising the "experts" who proclaim ahead of time how the vote will turn out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Sep 2010 08:50 #42 by FredHayek
People always say vote the bums out but usually only 5% of Congress actually changes hands in elections. I think it will be a little higher this year.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

17 Sep 2010 10:33 #43 by ScienceChic

outdoor338 wrote: Wayne, you remind me of an old grandpa, crotchety, grumpy, pessimistic, an old fart..when you say "spare us your repeated announcements," That is directed only at you skippy! You know very well your liberal pals are going to get thumped in November..accept it, mourn for the losses you will have, and get with the program..pretty simple advice. Remember you called me Dr. Phil, I can help you :thumbsup:

Net, not this november, you libs with be thumping your heads in disbelief! :bash

outdoor, I haven't seen a single person who hasn't conceded that Democrats will lose quite a few seats in this election, maybe even control of one or both houses. No disbelief to be found at all. What I want to know is, once Republicans gain those seats, and nothing changes at all, when are you going to face the fact that it doesn't matter who controls, Repubs or Dems, we're still being ultimately controlled by the corporate interests who are buying their votes for their own selfish gain to the detriment of our economy, environment, and livelihood. The economy isn't going to magically improve, the debt isn't going to go away, Republicans haven't shown any interest in becoming fiscally conservative so we're not going to have a decrease in spending, the only thing that will happen for sure is that climate legislation is sure to be killed for another 2 years and any attempts by the EPA to mitigate will be met with stiff resistance. Congratulations, we're still screwed.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Sep 2010 10:56 #44 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote:

outdoor338 wrote: Wayne, you remind me of an old grandpa, crotchety, grumpy, pessimistic, an old fart..when you say "spare us your repeated announcements," That is directed only at you skippy! You know very well your liberal pals are going to get thumped in November..accept it, mourn for the losses you will have, and get with the program..pretty simple advice. Remember you called me Dr. Phil, I can help you :thumbsup:

Net, not this november, you libs with be thumping your heads in disbelief! :bash

outdoor, I haven't seen a single person who hasn't conceded that Democrats will lose quite a few seats in this election, maybe even control of one or both houses. No disbelief to be found at all. What I want to know is, once Republicans gain those seats, and nothing changes at all, when are you going to face the fact that it doesn't matter who controls, Repubs or Dems, we're still being ultimately controlled by the corporate interests who are buying their votes for their own selfish gain to the detriment of our economy, environment, and livelihood. The economy isn't going to magically improve, the debt isn't going to go away, Republicans haven't shown any interest in becoming fiscally conservative so we're not going to have a decrease in spending, the only thing that will happen for sure is that climate legislation is sure to be killed for another 2 years and any attempts by the EPA to mitigate will be met with stiff resistance. Congratulations, we're still screwed.

It is still hard, but it has never been easier. Have you ever seen incumbants as scared than they are this cycle. BAD DOG.

"It is always hard to defeat an incumbent. Do what you can to defeat any incumbent, no matter which party he belongs to, if he is squishy on the issue you regard as fundamental. Why is this so important? Incumbents must become deathly afraid of your movement. Take out a few dozen of them in the next election and the one that follows, and many others will cooperate. As Sen. Everett Dirksen put it so long ago, "When we feel the heat, we see the light." In short, you do not settle for the lesser of two evils. You eliminate them both, one election at a time: first the softie, then the newbie.

2. Hold your newly elected politician's feet to the fire the first time he breaks ranks on a key vote. He is like a puppy. When he leaves a mess on the carpet, get out the switch. "Bad dog! Bad dog!" Let him remember that switch"................

http://www.garynorth.com/public/6827.cfm

17 Sep 2010 10:59 #45 by Something the Dog Said
Interesting that the NRA is endorsing two Colorado Democrats over their Tea Party opposition. The NRA came out with endorsements of Betsey Markey and John Salaazar this week.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

17 Sep 2010 11:43 #46 by The Viking

Wayne Harrison wrote: Don't confuse the anti-incumbency movement with an anti-democrat movement. It is the nature of voters to always want to vote the incumbents out, regardless of the party.

As for your tsunami allegory, I think there will be some republicans washed out to sea also, but I'll wait for the actual vote in November. Voters always have a way of surprising the "experts" who proclaim ahead of time how the vote will turn out.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Not even close to an anti incumbency movement. It is looking like the Republicans will not lose one currently held Republican seat. And the Dems will lose 6-10. And look at this map. The Republicans look like they have about 30 Dems seats already wrapped up and the Dems are only taking 3. And of the other 39 that are tossups, 38 are Democrats with only 1 republican as a tossup. So of the about 75 seats that may change hands, only 4 will go from R's to D's. The rest will either stay D's or switch from D's to R's.

So the D's will lose between 40-70 seats in both houses depending upon how the tide goes and the most it looks like the Republicans can lose if they all lose is 4 in the House. So anyway you look at this and try and spin it, this is not an anti incumbancy year. It is totally an anti Democratic year because of Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and their agenda.

17 Sep 2010 12:10 #47 by The Viking
Americans are tired of how the Democrats have ben running this country for the last 4 years since they took total control of both houses. They gave them a chance to see what kind of bills they would pass and what they could do for our economy. And since they took over we tanked into a major recession and we have raised our deficit more in the 4 years since they took over than in the previous 230+ years combined!

The economy was still pretty strong when the Republicans held both houses till 2006. I guess people are voting for the change back to what the Republicans were doing till 2006.

17 Sep 2010 12:23 #48 by Scruffy
Yes, by all means, let's return to the party that brought us into this recession.

And why haven't those damn Democrats fixed everything yet? Why won't they hurry up and get us out of the Bush recession?

17 Sep 2010 14:08 #49 by Something the Dog Said

The Viking wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote: Don't confuse the anti-incumbency movement with an anti-democrat movement. It is the nature of voters to always want to vote the incumbents out, regardless of the party.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.html

Not even close to an anti incumbency movement. It is looking like the Republicans will not lose one currently held Republican seat. And the Dems will lose 6-10. And look at this map. The Republicans look like they have about 30 Dems seats already wrapped up and the Dems are only taking 3. And of the other 39 that are tossups, 38 are Democrats with only 1 republican as a tossup. So of the about 75 seats that may change hands, only 4 will go from R's to D's. The rest will either stay D's or switch from D's to R's.

So the D's will lose between 40-70 seats in both houses depending upon how the tide goes and the most it looks like the Republicans can lose if they all lose is 4 in the House. So anyway you look at this and try and spin it, this is not an anti incumbancy year. It is totally an anti Democratic year because of Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and their agenda.

It looks like the Republicans will lose the Senate seat in Delaware that is currently held by Castle. O'Donnell is coming out as a real looney tune. Also, Alaska may swing to the Democrats as Murkowski is setting up to run as an independent. The Republicans may have hit their highwater mark early, as the Tea Party candidates are causing the elections to swing more towards the Democrats.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

17 Sep 2010 14:28 #50 by Nmysys
I look at the title to this thread and realize there definitely is a big difference between the Tea Party movement and the Democrats. That was easy. Since the idiot scruffy is on ignore I don't have to point out the Bush blame again, but I will anyway. There, it took all those posts to finally agree that the original poster was right, there is a big difference, no argument.

As to the fact that the Republicans haven't necessarily been any different, that I agree with as well. The hope is that they are at the same time as the Democratic Party, learning the lesson taught by the Tea Party movement and all people unhappy with what the Democratic full power of the WH, the Senate and the House, have shown, and hopefully will come more into line with the basic Conservative nature of the majority of Americans, or they too will be replaced. I know there will be argument over the statement that the majority of Americans are basically Conservative so let me point out that Prop. 8 in California happened to go down in defeat as the result of the vote of the African American Community, proving that even though they weren't aware that they were actually Conservative, their vote did prove it!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds