Should certains Christmas Carols be banned from schools?

20 Nov 2010 12:49 #21 by The Viking

Scruffy wrote: Once again, and this time, with feeling:

It's not about being offended. Sing your songs, blare them over the loudspeakers in HobbyLobby, show your faith any way you want, just don't force it on those who don't want it.

But if 90+% of the kids want to sing them is it wrong to let them? What is 10% of the kids don't want to be taught evolution? Should the schools all stop that too? Should we allow a minority to dictate what happens in our schools?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Nov 2010 13:00 #22 by outdoor338
where does this end scruffy, you lib's detest christmas songs, and now liberals are offended by birthday songs!

Fox News Radio’s Todd Sterns reported that a Missouri elementary school tried to ban the singing of “Happy Birthday To You” in order to be “sensitive” about those students that might find singing in public to be “offensive.” In a letter sent home to parents, school Principal Jodi Davidson explained that the ban on the venerable song was because, “singing is not permitted due to the sensitivity of all student beliefs.”

As soon as outraged parents began to complain, our supersensitive principal reversed course and on August 23 sent a letter rescinding the ban.
http://peterdaou.com/2010/08/first-the- ... -birthday/

20 Nov 2010 13:03 #23 by Scruffy

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote: Once again, and this time, with feeling:

It's not about being offended. Sing your songs, blare them over the loudspeakers in HobbyLobby, show your faith any way you want, just don't force it on those who don't want it.

But if 90+% of the kids want to sing them is it wrong to let them? What is 10% of the kids don't want to be taught evolution? Should the schools all stop that too? Should we allow a minority to dictate what happens in our schools?

You're comparing a religion to a scientific theory?

I cannot believe you are having trouble with this. Why - Why - Why do you want religion in the schools? Why do you want religion forced on kids that don't believe that way? Why?

Please answer the question.

20 Nov 2010 13:05 #24 by Scruffy

outdoor338 wrote: where does this end scruffy, you lib's detest christmas songs, and now liberals are offended by birthday songs!

Fox News Radio’s Todd Sterns reported that a Missouri elementary school tried to ban the singing of “Happy Birthday To You” in order to be “sensitive” about those students that might find singing in public to be “offensive.” In a letter sent home to parents, school Principal Jodi Davidson explained that the ban on the venerable song was because, “singing is not permitted due to the sensitivity of all student beliefs.”

As soon as outraged parents began to complain, our supersensitive principal reversed course and on August 23 sent a letter rescinding the ban.
http://peterdaou.com/2010/08/first-the- ... -birthday/

Okay, this is the last time I am going to say this, because apparently, you have are having difficulty comprehending and I can't figure out if you are doing this out of spite, but...

IT IS NOT ABOUT BEING OFFENDED.

It is about forcing your religion on someone in a public institution where they would have no choice. Why do you want to force your religion on our school children, Outdoor? Can you please answer?

20 Nov 2010 13:14 #25 by outdoor338
Having a Christmas program at school in the evening, where it is an option for you to attend, is not forcing any religion on you, I pay taxes, my kids teacher wants to host a childrens program, and most of the kids parents want to attend and see their kids in the Christmas program, what don't you understand scruffy? Where is that forcing religion on you. You don't have to attend, you don't have to hear anything, you can stay at home and do whatever you want. Most people here wouldn't care about a kids Christmas program, except you and a few others!

20 Nov 2010 13:24 #26 by Residenttroll returns

outdoor338 wrote: Having a Christmas program at school in the evening, where it is an option for you to attend, is not forcing any religion on you, I pay taxes, my kids teacher wants to host a childrens program, and most of the kids parents want to attend and see their kids in the Christmas program, what don't you understand scruffy? Where is that forcing religion on you. You don't have to attend, you don't have to hear anything, you can stay at home and do whatever you want. Most people here wouldn't care about a kids Christmas program, except you and a few others!

People like Scuffy don't want to hear God's (i.e.Christian) Good News message because it reveals our own flaws (sins). Flaws folks like Scuffy would rather not deal with but have anyone else accept them without changing. That's where the Christian message gets watered down because they are educated by the schools, colleges, and mass media to believe that Christianity is about the people in the church instead of about God Almighty and His love for each one of us - with our flaws.

20 Nov 2010 13:26 #27 by Wayne Harrison
You don't think Scruffy knows he has flaws, that it takes "Good News" (translated: The New Testament) for him to realize he is flawed?

20 Nov 2010 13:36 #28 by Residenttroll returns

Pineguy wrote: You don't think Scruffy knows he has flaws, that it takes "Good News" (translated: The New Testament) for him to realize he is flawed?

How would he know he's a flawed? What standard would he use? Where did he obtain that standard?

20 Nov 2010 13:41 #29 by Wayne Harrison

outdoor338 wrote: Having a Christmas program at school in the evening, where it is an option for you to attend, is not forcing any religion on you, I pay taxes, my kids teacher wants to host a childrens program, and most of the kids parents want to attend and see their kids in the Christmas program, what don't you understand scruffy?

I'm not against this but to answer your question, I pay taxes too and my taxes are for school, not promoting a particular religion on school property in a building paid for with my taxes.

Or are you saying you would be OK with a Muslim or Jewish program at school in the evening, too?

If you want your kid to get religion in school, send them to a parochial school, the same as sending your kid to I-Ra-Ha-Je instead of some other summer camp, if you want religion mixed in.

20 Nov 2010 14:18 #30 by Scruffy

outdoor338 wrote: Having a Christmas program at school in the evening, where it is an option for you to attend, is not forcing any religion on you, I pay taxes, my kids teacher wants to host a childrens program, and most of the kids parents want to attend and see their kids in the Christmas program, what don't you understand scruffy? Where is that forcing religion on you. You don't have to attend, you don't have to hear anything, you can stay at home and do whatever you want. Most people here wouldn't care about a kids Christmas program, except you and a few others!

But when do they practice? During school hours? If so, then no.

If the program and practices are after school and are not part of the curriculum and are voluntary, then go for it.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds