BREAKING: Rep Giffords (D-AZ) shot in head point-blank

08 Jan 2011 19:06 - 08 Jan 2011 19:12 #91 by LadyJazzer

Dr. King’s political leanings were probably influenced a great deal by his father, Martin Luther King, Sr. – who was a noted Republican. He would have likely endorsed Richard Nixon for the 1960 election. But when the younger King was arrested during a sit-in, it was then-presidential candidate John F. Kennedy who ensured his release, as a favor to Martin Luther King, Sr. After his son was freed, King backed him in the election – and some 10 million votes were delivered for the Democrat. (As a side note, Kennedy was not known for being an overly enthusiastic supporter of civil rights.)

It seems that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was neither a Republican nor a Democrat.

Remember, in the 1950s and ‘60s, the political parties were much different than they are today. Republicans were (and still are) thought of as the political party of business and are primarily interested in enforcing the status quo. Democrats were the political party of “progression and change,” but Southern Democrats were known for working with the KKK – think Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd. After the Civil Rights Act passed, many Southern Democrats became Republicans.

But, not according to his son, who's liberal partisan politics are reflected in his statement released through the King Center published in an AP article in July 2008 at http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printe ... icans.html , Martin Luther King III said, "It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican. It is even more outrageous to suggest that he would support the Republican Party of today, which has spent so much time and effort trying to suppress African-American votes in Florida and many other states."

And this Wash Post article in 2006 says King actually voted for LBJ in 1964. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01754.html

In fact, in "The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.," which was published after King's death from his written material and records, King called the 1964 Republican national convention that nominated Goldwater a "frenzied wedding ... of the KKK and the radical right."

I stand by my list.... Whether he was registered as a 1968 Republican or not. He was killed by a white neo-nazi racist, and that puts him on my list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2011 19:09 #92 by Sunshine Girl
This was awful news. Regardless of your political beliefs, there is no justification for this sort of violence. Also, a very young girl died as well which is unforgivable. I'm glad they caught the scum! Prayers to all the injured, dead, and their families and friends.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

08 Jan 2011 19:15 #93 by jf1acai

This was awful news. Regardless of your political beliefs, there is no justification for this sort of violence. Also, a very young girl died as well which is unforgivable. I'm glad they caught the scum! Prayers to all the injured, dead, and their families and friends.

I agree! Let's put the political posturing aside for the moment, and pray/grieve for the victims.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Jan 2011 19:28 - 08 Jan 2011 19:31 #94 by pineinthegrass

LadyJazzer wrote: I stand by my list.... Whether he was registered as a 1968 Republican or not. He was killed by a white neo-nazi racist, and that puts him on my list.

James Earl Ray was a neo-nazi? As I posted, I think it's more accurate to say he was a racist sparatist, and probably a Democrat since he supported the then Democrat George Wallace.

Ironic that you stand by your list when it could of been a Democrat killing a Republican. But I know things have changed since then. So why even put Martin Luther King on your list then?

And you've ignored the other weaknesses of your list that I pointed out earlier. What evidence do you have that Oswald, Sirhan Sirhan, or today's shooter were right-wingers???

OK, enough political posterizing, although I think I've just responded to yours. Today's events were just tragic.

08 Jan 2011 19:29 - 08 Jan 2011 21:15 #95 by archer
According to the sheriff ..he arrived at the scene with a companion who they are looking for. This was learned from cameras in the parking lot. If they find him/her, perhaps they will get some answers. Jared isn't talking._____

08 Jan 2011 19:45 #96 by Mayhem
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_categor ... n_id=28507

Ask yourself how many of these votes will have negative consequences for those who are in the womb, the crib, K-12, college, entering the work force, exiting the work force and even the loved ones of those entering the grave. Ask yourself how many of these votes are the antithesis of this document.

http://www.planetware.com/picture/usa-s ... -mn171.htm
Source of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca in Minnesota
File Attachment:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

08 Jan 2011 19:56 #97 by The Viking
Is LJ still spewing? :can't hear :bash

08 Jan 2011 20:14 #98 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: [I stand by my list.... Whether he was registered as a 1968 Republican or not. He was killed by a white neo-nazi racist, and that puts him on my list.

I do not doubt that. The thing is your list is a compilation of hateful left wing sound bites. Kind of like a Bartlett's for left wing haters.

Do carry on though. Posts like yours are poster children for converting non-political people into conservatives.

08 Jan 2011 20:15 #99 by Rick

LadyJazzer wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: LadyJazzer, as a poster (nothing else) your comments about conservatives is uncalled for. You cannot lump all conservatives in to sick, shooting, hateful murderers. There is no reason to use something like this as fuel for something unrelated.

This is horrible.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head... How many conservatives can you think of?

John Hinkley Jr, remember him? Now how about showing some rare respect and stfu.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

08 Jan 2011 21:27 #100 by LadyJazzer
Ooooo.... ONE "attempt" that wounded and didn't kill... That must have caused a brain-cramp...

I don't HAVE to stfu... So, stuff it up your nose and deal with it.

neptunechimney wrote: Posts like yours are poster children for converting non-political people into conservatives.

"Posts like mine" call attention to the hateful, violent-inducing crap like: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"; "Taking our country back"; "Don't retreat, RELOAD", throwing bricks through campaign headquarter windows and doors, and all of the other talk-radio spewing hatred that goes on. If that pushes anyone toward the sick viewpoint that is today's uber-"conservatism", then A) that's no surprise; and, B) it was probably someone who was already headed in that direction in the first place.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds