Do you Think Teachers Unions should be disbanded?

18 Feb 2011 14:08 - 18 Feb 2011 14:21 #11 by The Viking

BearMtnHIB wrote: What about the rights of parents to get a decent education for their kids - with THEIR tax dollars - without the teacher's union getting in the way every chance they get?

What about the right of a school principal to fire a lousy teacher? What about the lousy job the schools are doing?

My boss can fire me for any reason- any reason.

Taxpayers and parents should have the same rights.

What about those rights? I know - you don't care, but I do.

Exactly!! I still can't figure out why Dems don't care about the rights of parents, and our children. They fight for the big labor Unions and for teachers to have the right to not be fired no matter how poorly they teach, how bad they screw up, and how much they don't give a crap about the kids, as long as they get a paycheck. I am not saying they are all like that but NO ONE should have the right to NOT be able to be fired for doing a poor job! Especially when the education of our kids is going down year after year with more and more money spent on them. I wish just once the Dems would fight for the rights of the Children of this country rather than making sure a teacher won't lose their job for substandard work ethics and skills.

I am sick of the Libs not giving a s*** about the kids and fighting to keep our education system the same as it is falling off a cliff! But that is the way they think!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Feb 2011 14:09 #12 by FredHayek
With the unions, it is very tough to fire poor teachers. I would like to see instead a system where the worst 5% of teachers were fired every year. This would not only clean out the poor teachers, it would encourage the teachers who are in the bottom 25%.
Would you want to be treated at a hospital that couldn't fire the most incompetent doctors and nurses?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Feb 2011 14:13 #13 by The Viking

SS109 wrote: With the unions, it is very tough to fire poor teachers. I would like to see instead a system where the worst 5% of teachers were fired every year. This would not only clean out the poor teachers, it would encourage the teachers who are in the bottom 25%.
Would you want to be treated at a hospital that couldn't fire the most incompetent doctors and nurses?

Great idea! maybe not every year but every 2-3 years. And if they are below a certain standard.

And there is no other industry other than government where someone can continually give a poor performance on their job and there is nothing anyone can do to fire them. And these are our kids futures we are talking about. They only get 12 years of education and if they have crappy, uncaring tenured teachers for several of those years, then what chance do they have? Stop standing up for the F'n unioins and start standing up for the kids!

18 Feb 2011 14:17 #14 by RenegadeCJ

archer wrote: Why do Republicans want to take away other's rights? I don't happen to be a big fan of unions, but I certainly believe that any group of employees has the right to form or join a union if they want to......teachers.....police.....firefighters.....emts....etc all vote on whether to be represented by a union.....now one political party wants to tell them they no longer have that right? typical I guess for a party that is trying to run everyone elses life according to their beliefs, not the people's involved.

Public sector unions should be illegal UNLESS they allow competition, which would force those public sector employees to compete. Give vouchers to all students for the true cost of education for each state, then I don't care if the teachers are unions. If they can't compete, they will cease to exist (just like those of us in the private sector). I can't just assume I'm gonna get a raise for breathing. I have to compete, and if I can't, I either lose my job, get a pay cut, or maybe my company goes out of business.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

18 Feb 2011 14:23 #15 by Rick
Can you think of any job that is harder to get fired from than a public school teacher? I'm being dead serious. Between tenure and union lawyers, school districts rarely bother unless the teacher commits a capital crime. If teachers knew their performance would be a factor in keeping their jobs (like the rest of us), maybe we wouldn't be near dead last compared to the rest of the world.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Feb 2011 14:33 #16 by Nmysys
Great Poll Bailey Patriots!

Unions once were very important for worker's rights. Today it is nothing but power and has nothing to do with the rights of the workers.

18 Feb 2011 14:43 #17 by archer

CriticalBill wrote: Can you think of any job that is harder to get fired from than a public school teacher? I'm being dead serious. Between tenure and union lawyers, school districts rarely bother unless the teacher commits a capital crime. If teachers knew their performance would be a factor in keeping their jobs (like the rest of us), maybe we wouldn't be near dead last compared to the rest of the world.

Can you think of a job that is more vulnerable to having a really good worker fired than a public school teacher? I too am being dead serious. I have seen parents make concerted efforts to get a good teacher fired because that teacher wouldn't bend to their demands to promote their child to the next grade even though he failed the class.....i have seen good teachers be malaigned by parents that think if they could just get their kid moved to a different class he would become a genius. I have seen teachers who disagree with a principals methods and have tried to work within the system to get changes that benefit the children actually be fired.

What other job has so many bosses to keep happy? the school board, the principal, the parents, the kids, the tax payer.......you don't like how things are now, work within the system for a while, maybe you will appreciate what 99% of the teachers go through just to educate your kid......but no, you all would rather sit back and whine.....removing unions is NOT going to improve education, but it may well convince some really good teachers to find another form of employment where they are appreciated.

18 Feb 2011 14:54 #18 by The Viking

archer wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: Can you think of any job that is harder to get fired from than a public school teacher? I'm being dead serious. Between tenure and union lawyers, school districts rarely bother unless the teacher commits a capital crime. If teachers knew their performance would be a factor in keeping their jobs (like the rest of us), maybe we wouldn't be near dead last compared to the rest of the world.

Can you think of a job that is more vulnerable to having a really good worker fired than a public school teacher? I too am being dead serious. I have seen parents make concerted efforts to get a good teacher fired because that teacher wouldn't bend to their demands to promote their child to the next grade even though he failed the class.....i have seen good teachers be malaigned by parents that think if they could just get their kid moved to a different class he would become a genius. I have seen teachers who disagree with a principals methods and have tried to work within the system to get changes that benefit the children actually be fired.

What other job has so many bosses to keep happy? the school board, the principal, the parents, the kids, the tax payer.......you don't like how things are now, work within the system for a while, maybe you will appreciate what 99% of the teachers go through just to educate your kid......but no, you all would rather sit back and whine.....removing unions is NOT going to improve education, but it may well convince some really good teachers to find another form of employment where they are appreciated.

On the contrary, it will allow some really great teachers to compete and go in and take the jobs from the ones who don't really care and shouldn't be teaching in the first place. And education will improve dramitcaly!

18 Feb 2011 14:59 #19 by BearMtnHIB
There's a line a mile long of qualified people who want to be teachers - even without a union.

Lots of people would work 8 months a year- and get the summer off every year and make 60-85K doing it. AND retire with the same pay for life after 25 years.

To those teachers who can't or won't do it- I say don't let the door knob hit ya on the way out!

The private sector job market is waiting for you all - Good Luck!

18 Feb 2011 15:03 #20 by outdoor338
Fire the wisconsin teachers who left their job for 3 days to protest. Get rid of them all..there are many good teachers waiting for a teaching job, here ya go...these teachers will buy homes, products from their new towns...union time is over!

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds