Do you Think Teachers Unions should be disbanded?

19 Feb 2011 13:54 #71 by outdoor338
TM, I say fire everyone of them that walked off the job, you buy into the liberal union rhetoric that teachers are ahead of their students, that's not the way it is..make the teacher pay into their healthcare and retirement programs, what's the big deal? I would love to have the options they have! And so would many people who live in Wisconsin. What happened the last 3 days has put a nail into the unions coffin, greed first, students second..the people who would have protested against the teachers had to work yesterday, they have jobs, they just can't walk off their jobs like the teachers did. Many good teachers are waiting in the wings for a teaching job, now fire these that walked and lets move on! Union greed has been exposed, the people of Wisconsin have seen it, as well as the rest of the country.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2011 13:55 #72 by Grady

archer wrote: I dunno grady, what I am hearing here is that teachers are bad....be they good at their job or not, they need to be taken down a notch and punished for ever joining a union. I detest that kind of mentality.....and I wouldn't blame teachers across the nation if they just threw up their hands and walked. Let you all decide how you are going to educate a nation without them.

This thread is about teacher unions and by extension all public service employee unions, not about teachers. I for one would never bash teachers, my mother was one, my daughter in-law is one and my son is about to be certified. I have many friends who are teachers. I admit many people are upset with the greedy attitudes of the unions. Many many workers across the country took pay freezes and pay cuts over the last few years only to see people in the public sector continue to get increases and great benefits.

I wouldn't blame teachers across the nation if they just threw up their hands and walked. Let you all decide how you are going to educate a nation without them

There would be plenty of replacements stepping up to the plate.

19 Feb 2011 14:03 #73 by archer

Grady wrote:

I wouldn't blame teachers across the nation if they just threw up their hands and walked. Let you all decide how you are going to educate a nation without them

There would be plenty of replacements stepping up to the plate.

I wouldn't bet my childs education on that

19 Feb 2011 14:11 #74 by Pony Soldier

Grady wrote:

towermonkey wrote:

BearMtnHIB wrote: I think you liberals are adding more drama here than is reality. The teachers unions are a massive problem that has needed to be addressed for many years.

It's not about revenge, it's about a union who got away for years, running up the cost of education for our young'uns. Here in Jeffco - did you know that each student costs over $12,000/year for grades 1 through 12? Half of all the property taxes we pay in Jeffco goes straight to the school budget, which is $999,000,000. Yea- a billion dollars a year goes to the school district.

Many good colleges don't charge that much money. Can you see the problem here? If Wisconsin has anywhere near the same problem it MUST be addressed. Removing the collective bargain from the teachers will go a LONG way and help in many ways.

I'm glad anyway that state government is finally doing somthing about the school and teacher mess. With school budgets being the single largest budget item, it MUST be on the agenda for reform. This is not about revenge - it's about finally taking action on the biggest money sucking waste of tax payer dollars in state and local government.

I only hope this starts a trend because we desperately need this kind of action in Colorado.

The average teacher's salary in Colorado is $44,439. You really think that is what's breaking the budget? If so, then you really are a lost cause. Go to the School Board and get a copy of the budget, read it, then tell me where the problem is.

No bad for 9 months work.

Not Bad??????? Are you serious??? For an advanced degree???? Are you really that out of touch with reality. That salary is so low, I can't imagine why we can convince any teachers to work in the profession. It's certainly not to get rich as it would be hard to make a living with a family with that wage.

19 Feb 2011 14:16 #75 by outdoor338
At least something good will come out of this. The tantrum throwing protesters and their Democratic supporters are clearly losing in the court of public opinion. This is probably the last thing Democrats need since they are still unable to sit from the brutal spanking they received last November. This public outburst will inevitably destroy what is left of the still gravely wounded Democratic Party.

19 Feb 2011 14:19 #76 by archer
uh......from what i read, the Republican Governor and his legislative minions are losing that fight......I guess it depends on what biased source you use.

19 Feb 2011 14:21 #77 by Pony Soldier

At least something good will come out of this. The tantrum throwing protesters and their Democratic supporters are clearly losing in the court of public opinion. This is probably the last thing Democrats need since they are still unable to sit from the brutal spanking they received last November. This public outburst will inevitably destroy what is left of the still gravely wounded Democratic Party

Well, I hope so along with the Tea Party replacing the republican party. It would go a long way towards getting this country straightened out. This two party system with lifetime politicians is what is wrong - its just that nobody sees it. They have gotten very good at keeping us fighting along the "party" lines while they rob the country blind.

19 Feb 2011 14:23 #78 by Blazer Bob

outdoor338 wrote: At least something good will come out of this. The tantrum throwing protesters and their Democratic supporters are clearly losing in the court of public opinion. This is probably the last thing Democrats need since they are still unable to sit from the brutal spanking they received last November. This public outburst will inevitably destroy what is left of the still gravely wounded Democratic Party.

I concur. The left seems to be insane with frustration and is further reducing themselves to total irrelevancy.

Still, the right can easily screw it up if we do not hold their feet to the fire. We must make them remember the switch.

19 Feb 2011 14:28 #79 by outdoor338
Nep, amen! Your right on..republicans have to be held accountable to the people..

19 Feb 2011 14:29 #80 by archer

outdoor338 wrote: Nep, amen! Your right on..republicans have to be held accountable to the people..

That would be refreshing

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds