Sequestration?

21 Feb 2013 14:48 #51 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Sequestration?
I don't need any "new material"... I've got all the failed GOTP history I need...

I'm watching the "Death March of the Dinosaurs", and the teabaggers are too dumb to see it... :lol:

Still don't get it, do you...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2013 14:55 #52 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Sequestration?
So lets look at how this happened.

The Super committee, both parties could not agree on nothing. Neither would give or take

So then this goes to Congress and gets approved. Lets see here, The senate approved it, 45 democrats voted yea and about 35 republicans voted yea

The House voted on it about 174 republicans voted yea and 95 democrats voted yea.

Considering this was Obama original plan, but it blew up in his face, and liberals can blame on they want about who this belongs to, or whose fault it is, (guess you got to blame someone). What it comes down to, Congress did this, both parties are a fault, they are both to blame.

21 Feb 2013 15:45 #53 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Sequestration?

navycpo7 wrote: So lets look at how this happened.

The Super committee, both parties could not agree on nothing. Neither would give or take

So then this goes to Congress and gets approved. Lets see here, The senate approved it, 45 democrats voted yea and about 35 republicans voted yea

The House voted on it about 174 republicans voted yea and 95 democrats voted yea.

Considering this was Obama original plan, but it blew up in his face, and liberals can blame on they want about who this belongs to, or whose fault it is, (guess you got to blame someone). What it comes down to, Congress did this, both parties are a fault, they are both to blame.

Congress has not accomplished anything in ages. It has become deeply dysfunctional. I don't know if anything short of a clean sweep along with campaign finance regulations and anti-lobbying regulations can fix it. Right now they are all bought and paid for by someone. Wasn't it Mark Twain that said an honest politician is one who stays bought? You'd think by now we would have figured out how to fix this.

21 Feb 2013 17:16 #54 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Sequestration?
Chick I don't know if campaign finance reform would help. Already Congress is reelected 90% of the time and since any new rules would be written by incumbents...maybe it is time to create some kind of national referendum to keep Congress in check. Might even create a way for state legislatures to be a new check and balance.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Feb 2013 18:21 #55 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Sequestration?

chickaree wrote: Lets just furlough Congress.

:like:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

23 Feb 2013 06:06 #56 by SandyD
Replied by SandyD on topic Sequestration?
The sky is falling....NOT

23 Feb 2013 06:13 #57 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Sequestration?

SandyD wrote: The sky is falling....NOT

The mainstream media is now deciding Obama's doom and gloom predictions are a little overdramatic. Only 72 hours of spending after budget increases of 17% for the affected departments. It is like skipping your midnight snack after thanksgiving dinner.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Feb 2013 09:37 #58 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic Sequestration?
Bob Woodward reports from two sources that the sequester was the White House's idea and was approved by Obama on July 27, 2011 (four days before LJ's PowerPoint). Obama lied about it...

Who is responsible? What really happened?

The finger-pointing began during the third presidential debate last fall, on Oct. 22, when President Obama blamed Congress. “The sequester is not something that I’ve proposed,” Obama said. “It is something that Congress has proposed.”

The White House chief of staff at the time, Jack Lew, who had been budget director during the negotiations that set up the sequester in 2011, backed up the president two days later.

“There was an insistence on the part of Republicans in Congress for there to be some automatic trigger,” Lew said while campaigning in Florida. It “was very much rooted in the Republican congressional insistence that there be an automatic measure.”

The president and Lew had this wrong. My extensive reporting for my book “The Price of Politics” shows that the automatic spending cuts were initiated by the White House and were the brainchild of Lew and White House congressional relations chief Rob Nabors — probably the foremost experts on budget issues in the senior ranks of the federal government.

Obama personally approved of the plan for Lew and Nabors to propose the sequester to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.). They did so at 2:30 p.m. July 27, 2011, according to interviews with two senior White House aides who were directly involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bob-woodward-obamas-sequester-deal-changer/2013/02/22/c0b65b5e-7ce1-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_print.html

23 Feb 2013 10:51 #59 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Sequestration?
Obama said last August that he would veto any bill that would eliminate the sequester. Obama is a joke!

23 Feb 2013 13:12 #60 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Sequestration?
Of course, that was in response to an effort that had been started by the GOTP in November, 2011, to try to pass a bill to eliminate Defense cuts from the sequester, while leaving the other cuts alone...

GOOD... The whole point of the sequester was to create something so odious, horrible and unthinkable, that the teabaggers who were blocking the debt-ceiling increase (and thereby telling the WORLD that United States wouldn't PAY THE DEBTS THAT IT ALREADY HAD ON THE BOOKS...which ended up downgrading our credit-rating), would look as stupid, obstructionist and intransigent as they actually are.

God, I hope these lunatics jus' keep doin' what they're doin'... :lol: Hopping from one unnecessary, manufactured crisis to the next shows that they are not only not ready to "lead"...they're not ready to pick up the trash.

I just LOVE out-of-context videos!... Keep 'em up... (I particularly enjoy the creatively-edited ones that show the presidential seal "ESUOH ETIHW EHT" backwards in the video clip... (No alteration or manipulation there... Nope... Uhn-uhn...)

Bush was a joke; Romney was a joke; Ryan IS a joke; Rove IS a joke... (I think those are the main ones...since we're calling people "jokes".) Since Obama was elected by 53% of the population, and 332 to 206 electoral votes--and he currently has a 55% approval rating (to the GOTP's 35% approval rating), it would appear that the number of people who think Romney & Ryan are "jokes" outweigh the right-wingers who think the president is. And given the fact that 50% of the public are going to blame the GOTP for the sequester and the jobs lost, and the negative effects; (compared to 30% for the president), I jus' hope you keep doin' what yer doin'...

Of course the "30%" that will blame the president is the same residual 30% that will blame him for everything from persistent hangnails, to "bad hair days."

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds