Vote no on 4A

26 Oct 2013 08:05 #501 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Vote no on 4A
How cute. Now share with them how you and others w/i ECFD have done your best to destroy the very best veteran firefighters. Ask the firefighters why they left? Why don't you ask them Michael Davis, Rogers and McLaughlin. Why did you have to recruit so many new ones who will continue to leave until you have removed the tainted upper echelon.

Michael_Davis wrote: [center:279dp05m]It seems even the little firefighters love Elk Creek Fire. :fwave:

[/center:279dp05m]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2013 09:40 #502 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Vote no on 4A

GO UNION wrote: LJ, you're right, when fire depts take money from the feds the fed rules apply to them as well.

I've said this in public many times , i'm not responsible for your feelings, sorry

And I'm not responsible for your ignorance.

Sorry, I've already voted... And the stupidity and meanness of the usual anti-tax wackos made it an easy choice.

26 Oct 2013 10:15 #503 by Michael_Davis
Replied by Michael_Davis on topic Vote no on 4A
From the Elk Creek Fire Protection District Newsletter:
[center:tje5gadl]
File Attachment:
[/center:tje5gadl]

I was talking with a neighbor; I told him the Elk Creek Fire Department is operating a fire engine and two water tankers that are 25-years old. I explained that the useful life of these trucks is about 20-years, and that Elk Creek needs money to replace them. He responded, “So what? My truck is old as the hills, and you don’t see anyone offering to buy me a new one.”

It made me think of a truck I used to own. When I was a kid I drove a GMC pickup that was as old as I was. It was a classic, and yes, it burned a little oil, and didn’t like to start on cold mornings, but I got by.

I’d miss work when my truck broke down, but I’d spend a day tinkering under the hood, and the old GMC would run fine for another few weeks.

My boss would get mad, but he was a good guy. He’d threaten to fire me every time I missed work, but he never did. The thing is; a carpenter driving a truck that sometimes won’t start is a whole lot different from a fire department. If I were late, maybe a homeowner’s move in date would get pushed back by a day, no big deal. But, what if you call 911 and the fire engine won’t start, or the water tanker won’t make it up the hill? That’s a different story!

Lots of us guys love our old trucks, but the fire department needs rigs that are guaranteed to start, to pump water and to get there in a hurry. I know that if I call and say my house is on fire, I don’t want to get a call back from the fire department saying, “Sorry, but our truck won’t start.”

26 Oct 2013 10:35 #504 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Vote no on 4A
GOVERNMENT NEVER PROVIDES ANY FUNDS IT DID NOT TAKE FROM CITIZENS WITH THE POINT OF A GUN......NEVER.

26 Oct 2013 11:05 #505 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Vote no on 4A
That doesn't seem true considering that most of us voluntarily vote on tax proposals.

That brings up a point that hasn't been really addressed. I've heard people ask "Why doesn't the department just apply for more grants to fund its needs?" Aside from the fact that grant writing is very time- consuming, especially in light of the fact that there's little return on investment for it because there are more and more people applying for those same funds meaning the likelihood of winning is slimmer so often it's a huge waste of time for nothing, there's a bigger fundamental issue. Grants are mostly (not all) federal tax dollars. If you want your local department to go begging for federal tax dollars, you are, in essence, asking for a stronger and more well-funded federal government. You are reducing the power of the government at the local level by allowing the Feds to decide who gets what. And keep in mind that every organization across the country is in the same boat so if every citizen of every district says the same thing, we are all the cause of a loss of local control in favor of federal control.

This department serves us. It has specific needs for which it has asked, and has done its best cutting what it can to get by until now. We benefit from their services - people in Arizona or Florida should not be paying our local department, just as we should not be paying theirs. Take care of our own, keep the control local.

On a side note, I attended the Evergreen Town Hall Meeting Thursday night and Rep. Cheri Gerou said that Gov. Hickenlooper has told her that he will not be voting for any Wildfire Task measure that recommends state-mandated ratings of our mountain homes. ISO ratings will still be the primary way insurance decides the risk value for your homes. I videotaped that meeting as well, I'll try to get to it early next week.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Oct 2013 11:45 #506 by mountaindollar
Replied by mountaindollar on topic Vote no on 4A
SC Wrote

On a side note, I attended the Evergreen Town Hall Meeting Thursday night and Rep. Cheri Gerou said that Gov. Hickenlooper has told her that he will not be voting for any Wildfire Task measure that recommends state-mandated ratings of our mountain homes. ISO ratings will still be the primary way insurance decides the risk value for your homes. I videotaped that meeting as well, I'll try to get to it early next week.

I am very glad to hear this thank you for sharing.

26 Oct 2013 11:55 #507 by Michael_Davis
Replied by Michael_Davis on topic Vote no on 4A

Science Chic wrote: That brings up a point that hasn't been really addressed. I've heard people ask "Why doesn't the department just apply for more grants to fund its needs?"

It is my understanding that Elk Creek Fire Department is actively pursuing grants. I believe they recently received a large training grant. Funds from which will be used to bring all Elk Creek Fire Fighters up to the certification level of Firefighter II, a level of training and achievement never before attained by the Elk Creek Fire Department. :fwave:

The previous administration had a problem following the rules that govern grants. They did apply for some, and get them, but then they spent the money on whatever they pleased, instead of what the grant was intended for. As a result Elk Creek had to pay back approximately $44,700.00 to FEMA for inappropriately spent grant money.

Thankfully the people who bungled the grants so badly are no longer "helping" the department.

26 Oct 2013 11:57 #508 by hillfarmer
Replied by hillfarmer on topic Vote no on 4A
Thanks for all the information (false and otherwise.) I just voted yes.

26 Oct 2013 11:58 #509 by ZenTree
Replied by ZenTree on topic Vote no on 4A

Michael_Davis wrote: Thankfully the people who bungled the grants so badly are no longer "helping" the department.

LOL! Yea. They gave up on grant writing and now they just write nasty posts here. :rofllol

26 Oct 2013 12:52 #510 by ZenTree
Replied by ZenTree on topic Vote no on 4A

WindPeak wrote: How cute. Now share with them how you and others w/i ECFD have done your best to destroy the very best veteran firefighters. Ask the firefighters why they left? Why don't you ask them Michael Davis, Rogers and McLaughlin. Why did you have to recruit so many new ones who will continue to leave until you have removed the tainted upper echelon.

Once upon a time there was a woman.
Her heart was black and cold.
Whenever she did speak, a lie was told.
The mood would darken whenever she passed by,
so one day, the people said, “She is so gruff, we’ve had enough!”
And they banished her to a mountaintop high.
There she sits, shouting out curses,
but the heights spare the people from hearing her verses.
No one remembers the mountains name,
it may have been something “creek,”
but the locals all know it as: WindPeak :rofllol

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds