Vote no on 4A

26 Oct 2013 18:19 #521 by Michael_Davis
Replied by Michael_Davis on topic Vote no on 4A
Hello Friends,

Has anyone else, besides me not yet received their ballot?

Everyone I've spoken with has already mailed theirs back, but they all have home mail delivery, whereas I have a PO Box.

Wondering if any other PO Box dwellers are still waiting?

If you don't get yours soon, here is a link to Jeffco where you can find information on how to insure that your vote (yes or no) is counted:

http://jeffco.us/elections/ballots/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2013 18:27 #522 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Vote no on 4A
I'm sorry, violates what exactly? (from previous page) jf1acai has no conflict of interest, has not stated a definitive personal support for, or opposition to, 4a, there is no obvious financial interest at stake as he's not listed on the financial donations disclosure, and he hasn't stated that DSV has any official position on anything related to 4a.

Top Ten Myths about 501(c)(3) Lobbying and Political Activity
By: Jeffrey S. Tenenbaum Esq. , Venable LLP
Source: Center Collection
Published: May 2002

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 29982.html

Legislative or issue advocacy. Your organization can engage in legislative advocacy and issue-related advocacy, as long as it follows certain rules and steers clear of political campaigning. (If your organization is contemplating such activities, it's a good idea to get advice from a qualified attorney.) To learn more, see Nolo's article, How Much Lobbying Can a Nonprofit Do?

And don't forget that any individuals associated with a 501(c)(3) organization are entitled to voice their opinions and participate in a political campaign, as long as they are not speaking for the organization.

Directly from the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/electio ... slides.pdf

Lobbying
– Cannot be a substantial activity of the organization

General Advocacy
– Permitted as an educational activity

http://www.501c3.org/what-is-a-501c3/

Further, lobbying, propaganda or other legislative activity must be kept relatively insubstantial[5].
5.) Some lobbying, both direct and grassroots, is allowable, but should not represent more than 10-20% of the organization’s activities, nor consume any more than 10-20% of the resources of the organization.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Oct 2013 18:37 #523 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Vote no on 4A
Sorry SC do some more homework. jf has been in the political with many references to DSV. He has repeatedly put stuff in print. Read the IRS regs in detail and the Colorado Revised Statutes. My nephew is an accountant who works with non profits. So go do some more research and then tell me what you know. And for the record I am not going after him. I am just having so much fun since MountainGirl made her stupid comment about suing that organization opposed to 4A, sorry don't have its name handy as I am not a member. But you never know, someone else might. :wave:

Science Chic wrote: I'm sorry, violates what exactly? (from previous page) jf1acai has no conflict of interest, has not stated a definitive personal support for, or opposition to, 4a, there is no obvious financial interest at stake as he's not listed on the financial donations disclosure, and he hasn't stated that DSV has any official position on anything related to 4a.

Top Ten Myths about 501(c)(3) Lobbying and Political Activity
By: Jeffrey S. Tenenbaum Esq. , Venable LLP
Source: Center Collection
Published: May 2002

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 29982.html

Legislative or issue advocacy. Your organization can engage in legislative advocacy and issue-related advocacy, as long as it follows certain rules and steers clear of political campaigning. (If your organization is contemplating such activities, it's a good idea to get advice from a qualified attorney.) To learn more, see Nolo's article, How Much Lobbying Can a Nonprofit Do?

And don't forget that any individuals associated with a 501(c)(3) organization are entitled to voice their opinions and participate in a political campaign, as long as they are not speaking for the organization.

Directly from the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/electio ... slides.pdf

Lobbying
– Cannot be a substantial activity of the organization

General Advocacy
– Permitted as an educational activity

http://www.501c3.org/what-is-a-501c3/

Further, lobbying, propaganda or other legislative activity must be kept relatively insubstantial[5].
5.) Some lobbying, both direct and grassroots, is allowable, but should not represent more than 10-20% of the organization’s activities, nor consume any more than 10-20% of the resources of the organization.

26 Oct 2013 18:52 #524 by Venturer
Brought this over from the other thread.

Thank you jf for your response. So glad you don't live in ECFD because you don't have a clue about the malfeasance that has gone on even more recently. Never mind the past. Lets have Michael Davis tell you if he was part of ECFD during the time of any malfeasance and what he did about it. Haven't heard from him.

And tell me what is your response to your violating 501c(3)?

Vote NO on 4A friends and neighbors have. Clean up your act ECFD before you go trashing the previous admin, who did deserve it, but yet you did nothing about it. It was on your watch.

jf1acai wrote: I do not live in, or own property in, ECFPD's district, so I have no vote.

However, since all who live in the area are to some extent reliant upon the capabilities of all the fire districts in the area, I do have an interest in this issue.

IMO, all of the negative posts on the subject which have enough factual information to be responded to, have been answered. Vague and unsubstantiated claims of misdeeds by unspecified individuals at unspecified times somewhere in the past are impossible to refute, and IMO should be ignored. They add nothing useful to the discussion.

Is the current ECFPD 100% perfect? NO. If they were, it would be ridiculous to be asking for a mill levy increase. Do they have to try to improve on what has happened in the past, YES, and that IMO is what they are trying to do.

Would it be adequate or appropriate for ECFPD's revenue to be the same as it was 5, 10, or 15 years ago, under the best possible management? Maybe, if there was no additional expectation for performance, and no expansion of their responsibilities, such as the new Staunton State Park.

Do you want a stagnant fire department, that can barely get by, or one that can improve and better serve the community?

Regarding the allegations that the department will spend the additional revenue recklessly or irresponsibly, the residents of the district have full control over that. IF they are willing to attend meetings and demand answers to reasonable questions about how the district is being managed, the district cannot recklessly or irresponsibly spend the money.

If the residents are too unconcerned to be involved, they deserve whatever they get, IMO.

If I could, I would vote for 4A.

26 Oct 2013 19:05 #525 by Michael_Davis
Replied by Michael_Davis on topic Vote no on 4A

WindPeak wrote: Lets have Michael Davis tell you if he was part of ECFD during the time of any malfeasance and what he did about it.

Yes ma'am. As a rookie, fresh out of academy. I was one of the lowest ranking members of the department. I was required to go to membership meetings, but I wasn't allowed to vote. I wore a red shirt with "RECRUIT" on the back.

I guess if I (as the lowest ranking, least informed member) had known what was going on, I'd of used my unlimited power and influence to right all wrongs, but then again, I was awful busy vacuuming the meeting room and carrying out the trash.

26 Oct 2013 19:28 #526 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Vote no on 4A

WindPeak wrote: Sorry SC do some more homework. jf has been in the political with many references to DSV. He has repeatedly put stuff in print. Read the IRS regs in detail and the Colorado Revised Statutes. My nephew is an accountant who works with non profits. So go do some more research and then tell me what you know. And for the record I am not going after him. I am just having so much fun since MountainGirl made her stupid comment about suing that organization opposed to 4A, sorry don't have its name handy as I am not a member. But you never know, someone else might. :wave:

Science Chic wrote: I'm sorry, violates what exactly? (from previous page) jf1acai has no conflict of interest, has not stated a definitive personal support for, or opposition to, 4a, there is no obvious financial interest at stake as he's not listed on the financial donations disclosure, and he hasn't stated that DSV has any official position on anything related to 4a.

I'm sorry, I still don't see what you're seeing. What "many references to DSV" in regards to this issue? I've read every post jf1acai posted in this thread, he referenced DSV once. I read through the IRS link, and others that I didn't link to above. I still see nothing that violates IRS regulations - nothing has been above "susbstantial" as an activity of DSV, he hasn't stated that this is an official position of DSV, and there isn't any financial stake for DSV in this election as shown by donation disclosure and as I know by personal knowledge of who actually donated to FOECF.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Oct 2013 19:29 #527 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Vote no on 4A
WOW, is just saw this. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about the BS being presented.

Yes, I did link to the timeline of the Lime Gulch Fire, which was factually presented as it occurred, on the DSV website.

The rest of that post was clearly my own opinion, and not indicated in any way as an official position of DSV.

There was no violation of IRS rules regarding DSV's status as a 501(C3) organization.

DSV has not, and will not, take any stand on the 4A proposal.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

26 Oct 2013 19:49 #528 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Vote no on 4A

jf1acai wrote: WOW, is just saw this. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about the BS being presented.

Yes, I did link to the timeline of the Lime Gulch Fire, which was factually presented as it occurred, on the DSV website.

The rest of that post was clearly my own opinion, and not indicated in any way as an official position of DSV.

There was no violation of IRS rules regarding DSV's status as a 501(C3) organization.

DSV has not, and will not, take any stand on the 4A proposal.

I really think the Windy is trying to yet again throw this off topic jf1acai I do not think you needed to clarify this but thank you.

People can work and volunteer for non-profits and have their own opinion so I think this should just be dropped.

26 Oct 2013 20:15 #529 by GO UNION
Replied by GO UNION on topic Vote no on 4A
MIKE DAVIS, If you want to save time so you can vacuum, save our lives,etc just follow the directions of the CUT mailer that you received. There is exact directions on how to do the right thing and vote no on 4a

26 Oct 2013 20:49 - 26 Oct 2013 20:56 #530 by Venturer
Thank you Michael Davis for your response. Now how long ago were you the lowest ranking least informed member? Clearly disappointed that you choose to be so cute in your response. So as a rookie you were stupid and took no responsibility for anything going on with ECFD. If somebody did something wrong you were just a rookie? Is that your excuse. WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE NOW?

Michael_Davis wrote:

WindPeak wrote: Lets have Michael Davis tell you if he was part of ECFD during the time of any malfeasance and what he did about it.

Yes ma'am. As a rookie, fresh out of academy. I was one of the lowest ranking members of the department. I was required to go to membership meetings, but I wasn't allowed to vote. I wore a red shirt with "RECRUIT" on the back.

I guess if I (as the lowest ranking, least informed member) had known what was going on, I'd of used my unlimited power and influence to right all wrongs, but then again, I was awful busy vacuuming the meeting room and carrying out the trash.

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds