Impeachment proceedings against Trump

12 Dec 2019 11:07 #841 by homeagain

ramage wrote: Okay HA, I bit. I opened the article. Could not find anything that opined on the toll for the nation. Please enlighten me as to what i missed in this article.

At this moment in time....the trash talk on the hearings is obscene.....THEN we still have to get thru the actually impeachment....THAT is a problem because the king wants to make this into
a three circus with HIS "apprentice approach" and MCCONNELL wants to make this quick and easy peasy.....the actually process (if executed properly) will take approx. SIX DAYS A WEEK
FOR SIX WEEKS....how excruciating will that exercise be for the nation.....your macro view is
somewhat lacking....jmo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Dec 2019 13:32 #842 by FredHayek
HA, you think Democrats in swing districts aren't concerned about keeping their seats in swing districts? And the party as a whole isn't worried about losing their current majority? Pelosi has been reluctant to start the impeachment process. There is a reason for this. President Clinton only got more popular after his impeachment for perjury. Still time for this to all backfire on the Dems. Especially if the Senate votes for President Trump.

homeagain wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Reportedly 30 Democrats in swing districts are having some worries about an impeachment vote hurting their chances for reelection. Wonder how many Pelosi will let vote "present" or no? It could become a empty victory if they vote to impeach and then lose the majority in the House.
Also being floated is a motion to censure the President instead of impeaching a man who only has another year to serve.

bolded....LINK PLEASE

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Dec 2019 07:10 #843 by ramage
This is by the same congressman that told us that Guam was going to capsize because of the US Marine presence, Hank Johnson

From Twitter:
Benny
@bennyjohnson

How completely unhinged Democrats have become in this Impeachment hearing?

Member of the Judiciary Committee Hank Johnson (D-GA) just said Impeachment is justified because:

1. Trump taller than Prez. Zelensky

2. Trump had Zelensky's daughter "in the basement duck taped"

WHAT!

The video of his statement is available on CSPAN-3. My computer skills are such that I am not able to post the video,

13 Dec 2019 08:55 #844 by homeagain

ramage wrote: This is by the same congressman that told us that Guam was going to capsize because of the US Marine presence, Hank Johnson

From Twitter:
Benny
@bennyjohnson

How completely unhinged Democrats have become in this Impeachment hearing?

Member of the Judiciary Committee Hank Johnson (D-GA) just said Impeachment is justified because:

1. Trump taller than Prez. Zelensky

2. Trump had Zelensky's daughter "in the basement duck taped"

WHAT!

The video of his statement is available on CSPAN-3. My computer skills are such that I am not able to post the video,

TWITTER???? omg.....you've been puncked....:P

13 Dec 2019 10:37 #845 by FredHayek
The House committee just voted for impeachment in a truly partisan way. The Demos voted to impeach. The Republicans didn't.
You think Speaker Pelosi would have got at least one Republican to sign on to this circus.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Dec 2019 17:31 #846 by ScienceChic
House Judiciary Committee Impeachment Hearings Day 1, December 11: www.c-span.org/video/?467306-1/house-jud...es-impeachment-day-1

House Judiciary Committee Impeachment Hearings Day 2, December 12: www.c-span.org/video/?467314-1/day-2-hou...articles-impeachment

The portion of the testimony to which you are referring regarding Rep Hank Johnson begins at the 7:40:18 mark of Day 2 and he's speaking in response to previous testimony by his Republican counterpart in Georgia. What Benny posted is true, but the context is important, watch it all.

I found Mr. Johnson's questioning of the witnesses on December 9th very compelling, which gives some background on why he said what he said yesterday:

Also illuminating and concise was Rep Eric Swalwell's questioning of the two parties' legal counsel:

Day 3 House Judiciary Votes on Articles of Impeachment: www.c-span.org/video/?467395-1/house-jud...es-impeachment-23-17

The House Judiciary Committee approves two articles of impeachment against President Trump: abuse of power (23-17) and obstruction of Congress (23-17). The articles now head to the full House for consideration.

Panel vote sends Trump impeachment charges to full House
By LISA MASCARO and MARY CLARE JALONICK, AP News, December 13, 2019

Going back to address something from earlier in this thread:

ramage wrote: I found this article worth 15 minutes of time. Please read it in its entirety.

How Should The Senate Deal With An Unconstitutional Impeachment By The House
by Tyler Durden
Zerohedge.com 12/11/2019
www.zerohedge.com/political/how-should-s...al-impeachment-house
Authored by Alan Dershowitz via The Gatestone Institute,

Dershowitz is pure fear-mongering, and conveniently neglecting other important documents, by our Founding Fathers and previous bodies of Congress, that clearly support the process of impeachment when warranted, as it is now.

What the Founders thought about impeachment and the President
Madison Debates July 20, 1787
1974 House CR on Impeachment
Nixon's Articles of Impeachment
(Note “Conduct”, “public trust” and “abuse of Office and Power” repeatedly cited)
Bill Clinton's Articles of Impeachment
(Repeatedly cite “his conduct” and violating public Trust)
Constitutional Grounds for Presidential Impeachment by the House Judiciary Committee, 116th Congress, December 2019
Again, Swalwell lays it out succinctly:

Just because this vote was done along partisan lines (as was Andrew Johnson's), doesn't mean that it's unworthy. Our representatives are elected to fulfill their duties of office and swore oaths to uphold the Constitution. It's not just their job, it's ours as well. We get the government we elect and we need to be better. With McConnell shockingly publicly admitting that he's working with the White House Counsel, to coordinate their defense (which isn't how it's supposed to work). He is stating outright that he is a compromised juror/jury foreman and should be removed from the process.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Dec 2019 17:01 #847 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: Because the assertions about the FISA warrants being issued illegally were lies by Devin Nunes and it's not my job to present your counter-argument for you. It's your job to bring the credible sources and try to change my mind. Posting your opinion without sources is perfectly fine, but I can tell you now that you won't change anyone's mind without evidence.

Here's a summary by some a lawyer at the Lawfare Blog, and it links to the FISA for Carter Page so you can read it for yourself.
What to Make of the Carter Page FISA Applications
By David Kris, Lawfare Blog | Saturday, July 21, 2018]

Can you state your current position in a paragraph or two?

16 Dec 2019 17:35 #848 by ramage
"
I found Mr. Johnson's questioning of the witnesses on December 9th very compelling, which gives some background on why he said what he said yesterday:

What did it compel you do? ROLF?

16 Dec 2019 20:20 - 16 Dec 2019 20:21 #849 by Rick

Blazer Bob wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: Because the assertions about the FISA warrants being issued illegally were lies by Devin Nunes and it's not my job to present your counter-argument for you. It's your job to bring the credible sources and try to change my mind. Posting your opinion without sources is perfectly fine, but I can tell you now that you won't change anyone's mind without evidence.

Here's a summary by some a lawyer at the Lawfare Blog, and it links to the FISA for Carter Page so you can read it for yourself.
What to Make of the Carter Page FISA Applications
By David Kris, Lawfare Blog | Saturday, July 21, 2018]

Can you state your current position in a paragraph or two?

The Nunes memo was dead on and a lot of us knew it, even though the majority of the media decided to ignore what we knew and told their audiences a bunch of crap. There were only a few people who did what actual journalists are supposed to do and the rest want to pretend like they never lied to the American people and never ignored the evidence of wrongdoing that should have been given the attention it deserved. Bottom line is that the media must think they are capable of altering reality.... well, I suppose they actually did, for some who believe that journalism is still an honest and credible industry.

“We can’t afford four more years of this”

Tim Walz

18 Dec 2019 20:46 #850 by ramage
The H of R has voted for impeachment, along party lines except that Democrats voted not to impeach.
So where do we go from here? To the Senate, or withhold sending the bill to the Senate?

Time to create page: 0.653 seconds